Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Had the car on VAG COM (thanks Wak) and it came up with front left ABS speed sensor intermittent fault. No problem I thought I'll just change the speed sensor and it'll be sorted. Changed the sensor over the weekend and its still flashing up with ABS and traction light. Do I need to reset the ABS light on VAG COM to stop this fault? Is that why when the engine is started the ABS light stays on and the traction light only comes on after a bit. Also a couple of times there has been no ABS or traction light for around 5 miles then all of a sudden it comes on again. Anyone experienced similar?

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,347 Posts
Hi, Check the replaced ABS sensor connections or give it another scan.
Hoggy. :D

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Usually you wouldn't have to reset it after the new sensor was connected. The ABS self checks itself every time the vehicle is turned off and back on again.

You will need to check the wiring to the sensor itself, it is quite common for the wiring to corrode internally and make the light come on! One more thing to look at 1st, where the plug goes on to the sensor just check one of the little pins has not been squashed flat when the plug has been pushed on.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Spot on! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys - I will check the wiring. From what I saw last time there was some slight corrosion in the connector but nothing too bad otherwise I would have cleaned the connector. Where does the wire go and how is it best to check it properly?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just about to tackle this wiring issue. Where does the wire from the speed sensor come from? Is it straight to the ABS ECU? Can this be swapped out easily? I have to take the arch lining off to put in a new washer pump so this is an ideal time to get this sorted. Also is there an easy wy to tel whether the wiring is corroded without cutting into it?

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
It goes from the sensor through the inner wing and connects directly to the ABS ECU which is connected directly to the ABS pump itself.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi All,

Still have this issue and now I have noticed a clicking sound from the front left when applying around a quarter steering input. Also when reversing on lock I get a clonk. Possibly not all related but I am wondering whether the clicking could be the CV joint or someone mentioned that there is a wheel the ABS sensor reads from and that could be loose and free spinning?? Does that make sense to anyone on here?

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Nothing is ever simple eh! If there is any free play / movement in any of the wheels it could still cause you an issue.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This car is becoming much like how I imagine a divorce to be. I think next time I will find a car I hate, give it all my money and save myself 5 years of heartache :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts