Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

After a bit of advice (AGAIN!!). Since i've bought my TT about two weeks ago i notice that shortly after really hammering the car that first the traction control light comes on which is then shortly followed by the ABS light. The lights don't go off but stay on until i turn the ignition off.

Also had a bit of an issue braking before a roundabout yesterday. I floored the car down the dual carriageway near my house and (whilst doing about 50-60mph) began braking before the roundabout. As i got closer i started to break harder and then suddenly the brakes just went on the car for about 1-2 seconds and then kicked in at the very last minute. I can only describe it as the feeling you get when your brake pads are worn down to the bone.

I got my local mechanic to check it over just after i bought it and he said that the rear disc's were scored and that i should replace them when i get new pads put on the rear. He also mentioned that the anti roll links connected to the wheels had a bit of play in them and that they needed replacing before i have my MOT done in about 8 months. At the time though he said the car was in tip top nick.

Just wondering but could the issues i've mentioned have something to do the warning lights and the braking issue i had yesterday?

Cheers

Matt

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any idea anyone?

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
mtfc_82 said:
Hi all

After a bit of advice (AGAIN!!). Since i've bought my TT about two weeks ago i notice that shortly after really hammering the car that first the traction control light comes on which is then shortly followed by the ABS light. The lights don't go off but stay on until i turn the ignition off.

Also had a bit of an issue braking before a roundabout yesterday. I floored the car down the dual carriageway near my house and (whilst doing about 50-60mph) began braking before the roundabout. As i got closer i started to break harder and then suddenly the brakes just went on the car for about 1-2 seconds and then kicked in at the very last minute. I can only describe it as the feeling you get when your brake pads are worn down to the bone.

I got my local mechanic to check it over just after i bought it and he said that the rear disc's were scored and that i should replace them when i get new pads put on the rear. He also mentioned that the anti roll links connected to the wheels had a bit of play in them and that they needed replacing before i have my MOT done in about 8 months. At the time though he said the car was in tip top nick.

Just wondering but could the issues i've mentioned have something to do the warning lights and the braking issue i had yesterday?

Cheers

Matt
Hi,

Well i had a similar issue very recently where my ABS & ESP lights were on too, just as you described.

My problem was due to me getting air in the brake lines while foolishly trying to vent a rear caliper and not watching the level in the resevoir..... level dropped and sucked air in, sending it right round the system and into the ABS pump..

You also described brake fade or failure so im guessing it might be along the same lines.... have you got VAGCOM?

If you run a fault code scan you might well get something like -

Address 03 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 8N0 907 379 E
Component: ESP 20 CAN V005
Coding: 18446
Shop #: WSC 01236
1 Fault Found:
00810 - Sensor 1/2 for Brake Pressure
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Bleeding the whole system sorted it but my god its a proper work up and had to do it out in the bloody rain too.... punishment or what!

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon, feel free to ask away if i can be of any use or pm me.

Cheers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tony_rigby_uk said:
could potentially just have cooked the breaks... fade in the 225 brakes was a nightmare for me... used to drive me insane (last of the late breakers and all) i upgraded to V6 breaks... and much better.
Had it done and the rear discs replaced and it all seems OK to me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mtfc_82 said:
tony_rigby_uk said:
could potentially just have cooked the breaks... fade in the 225 brakes was a nightmare for me... used to drive me insane (last of the late breakers and all) i upgraded to V6 breaks... and much better.
Had it done and the rear discs replaced and it all seems OK to me.
Spoke too soon. The dreaded lights are back. Does anyone have VAGCOM in the Cheshire area who could spare me 5 minutes one evening?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tony_rigby_uk said:
when was the last time you had fluid change... supposed to be done every two years...

i'm from Leigh / Wigan, which is warrington way... if that any use.
Just checked my service manual (only had the car 4 weeks) and it appears that the brake fluid hasn't been changed since about 40K (nearly 4 years ago). Do you reckon that could be the cause for the dash lights and the occasional brake fade?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.