Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Audi TT 2015 2l Ultra Sport
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, as the title suggests, I’m looking at maybe getting some extra sound in my car, unfortunately, I have the basic Audi sound system in my car, front speakers only.

I was thinking about installing rear speakers but I don’t think it’s possible. (If it is I would for love some ideas)

Does anyone know is it possible to get a subwoofer fitted to me car and if so, where would you splice into the original audio speakers to get the feed for the subwoofer?

Also would anyone recommend a unit that would work for my car?

·
Registered
184 Posts
It does make me laugh that Audi scrimp so much on an otherwise premium car - I'd have thought the ASS was the minimum you would want in a TT.

You'd need to tap into your front speaker feeds (probably easiest behind the glove box as that's the only spot they're all in the same place) and then running them to the powered sub etc. If you are in any way not 100% sure what you're doing, take it to a decent in car audio installer to get it done.

Reactions: huddott

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx guys for replying.

Is there any point trying to install speakers in the back of the car? I suppose the headunit has to be fit to have a rear speaker outlet. I'm not sure which one I actually have though. I got the Sat Nav and Apple Carplay enabled and the guy doing it was surprised that the logo for Carplay appeared on the main menu. He assumed i would have to go into the connection wizard every time.

My car was manufactured in October 2015 if that's any help. I suppose, really, the only to know what hardware version my head unit is, would be to take it out and get the hardware model type from the written spec on the back of the unit. (Is there any other way to get the hardware spec of the unit?)

I don't have the wee key yokes to remove the unit, although they aren't that expensive.

Thx guys... And yes i agree the basic Audio setup in the TT is proper rubbish.

·
Registered
Audi TT 1.8 Sport 2017 - Monsoon grey
43 Posts
I was looking at the audison APBX10 AS2 powered sub. The shop I had spoke to talked about splicing from the rear speakers (as I’m lucky enough to have them) but as Gnasher said you could do it from the front set. You could have it in the boot Velcrod/strapped or under the floor, though you may have to raise the floor a bit unless you go for a passive one? Costs wise the powered one is about £550 and the shop I went to would fit it all professionally for a further £150 ish. To change the speakers and add rear ones most audio shops would probably advise an amp as well to get the most out of them. Then you’d want sound deadening. Your prob doubling plus plus the standalone powered amp cost then. See the pics below on potential solutions -
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Trunk Window

Hood Grille Auto part Computer hardware Automotive exterior

Reactions: huddott

·
Registered
184 Posts
I started off "Just adding a bit of bass and a clearer top end with replacing speakers" and had a bit of mission creep as seen below lol.

As "Micheal Knight" posted above, there are a few options available to you, namely (and in order of increasing costs and hopeful sound quality)

1. Add a powered subwoofer tapped off the front speakers (or if your current head unit is able to, off the rear speaker outputs).
2. Add a passive subwoofer, replacement front speakers and a 4 channel amplifier (2 channels bridged for the sub).
3. Add a passive subwoofer, replacement front speakers and new rear speakers and a 5 channel amplifier.

Now I did the third option above - and a little further with the 2nd subwoofer, but (strictly speaking) only because the car already had rear speakers and I enjoy building boot installs. If it were me and I didn't have rear speakers, I'd have gone for the second option and left it at that - I think it would be the best compromise of sound quality and overall costs..

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting White Car

Reactions: Micheal Knight

·
Registered
236 Posts
I fitted a powered subwoofer to a previous TT with the standard audio and it made a tremendous difference with a relatively small outlay. Connection was via the glovebox area and it is fiddly, but doable by anyone with a bit of patience and time. Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx guys for all your help and advice, i might go down the route of installing the rear speakers first, I've found a pair with speakers included. I just need to make sure my MIB2 can support rear speakers first... (Maybe all Mib2 do?) I will then look about getting a subwoofer installed as well.

I need to get the removal keys to get the MIB out of the glovebox so i can check the spec and model number of the unit and then google the specs.

You would think a premium car would come with a premium sound system as a standard lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting thread, I’ve only had my car (Mk3 2015 S-line Quattro 2.0) and it seems mine has only the basic system fitted (no rear speakers and no fader). So I’m thinking powered sub and upgrading front speakers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys, been playing with options and pricing what I can. Have ordered the keys to remove the head unit and when I get it out, I should be able to get the model number off the back of it.

My system is the head unit with the DVD player built in so I’m assuming it should be able to allow me to add rear speakers.

I was only going to install a powered sub but if I’m gonna have to install wire going to the subwoofer, I may as well try and get the wiring to the rear of the car and stick speakers in as well.

I bit the bullet and paid for time in the Audi Erwin system and downloaded everything I could relating to me car.
I just need to take the time and digest it as best I can and see where that leaves me.

Im kinda shocked, tbh, that there are virtually no videos of people adding additional speakers or making changes to their Mk3 TTs Audio setups on YouTube.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tell me about it, I was very disappointed about the lack of info/vids on DIY upgrades. Mark 1 & 2 yes, Mark 3 no.
The following is helpful for removing front door card but isn’t speaker specific. Still at least you’ll be able to get to see the front setup for people wanting to change those.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Found these pics on eBay, not the clearest setup on the rear of the unit and the blanked out plates, are they potential rear speaker outputs for the cars that have got them?
Gadget Audio equipment Electronic device Wood Gas

Computer hardware Electronic device Audio equipment Composite material Machine

Also found this thread which has some very helpful info on upgrading speakers inc rear -

2016 TTS Speaker Upgrade - AudiWorld Forums

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Guys, another quick question.

If anyone knows, how hard would it be to bring 4 speaker wires from the back of the headunit to the back speaker panels? and would it be easier to route all four down the passenger side and then route the remaining two to the drivers side?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts