Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im covered by admiral insurance breakdown cover,

My car decided to go bang a month ago now, The recovery company picked the car up and booked the car in to be looked at.
They then rang me saying its had diagnostics and compression test and needed a new bottom end.
They then told me it would cost £850 plus £250 labour to fix.

Once i paid they said it would take around a week to fix, contacted them after a week and they said it was discovered it needed new thrust bearings and 2 new coilpacks obviously costting alot more. Handed over yet more money and promised it would be done within the week. That was 2 weeks ago. Now wanting the car back they claim the car has been taken to a different garage to be done, Yet the guy who took it apparently doesnt know where the garage is and now the police have had to be called as no1 knows where my car is and its been a month and they've had over £1000 of my money.

just a warning to you guys!

·
Registered
966 Posts
jamman said:
I'm completely lost why you have handed money over before the car is repaired ?
I'm thinking the same thing!? :? Must've seen you coming..... :oops:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
That is messed up how they could loose your car and not know what garage they have sent it to. I Agree with what the others are saying in terms of handing the money once the work had been completed.

Hope you get your car back.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They said they needed the money for the parts upfront, I wasnt gonna transfer it as usually garages complete the work then you pay once you pick the car up? Just seemed like a good idea as he claimed it was cheap and other garages wanted alot more labour.

Ive been stuck without the car for over a month now, lost work etc but the police arent seem to be doing much at the moment either

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
jamman said:
I'm completely lost why you have handed money over before the car is repaired ?
Agreed!

Breakdown cover is best used to get you home or to a garage of your choice not whoever they decide... as for paying without the car being finished that is just plain dumb, dont want to be harsh but come on why on earth would you do that?

Watch what you say about the police to, Mark will be along in abit with a 10 page essay! :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very stupid mistake i know but i was flying on holiday and he had my car at the time so just seemed like a good idea at the time as i was promised it would be done by the time i got back. Will learn from my mistake next time!

And as far as police are concerned.. lol

·
Registered
31,647 Posts
James I would think the police would be very interested in this case.

I'm correct that when you speak to the breakdown man he states he can't remember where the car is ?

Forgive me this just sounds a little strange to me, hope you get your car back soon.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
I think a little judicious publicity may help restore some memories.
Speak to Admiral as your implicating them in this saga.
If they fail to assist then I suggest you broaden the publicity - perhaps local and or national newspaper. Like it or loath it the Daily Mail is always up for some supplier bashing.

Just a thought.
Brian

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Tritium said:
I think a little judicious publicity may help restore some memories.
Speak to Admiral as your implicating them in this saga.
If they fail to assist then I suggest you broaden the publicity - perhaps local and or national newspaper. Like it or loath it the Daily Mail is always up for some supplier bashing.

Just a thought.
Brian
Only problem with that is the breakdown cover will probably have nothing at all to do with admiral, its just a service they let you have when you buy their insurance. They dont make you take it or use it, thats your choice.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Your contract is with admiral and if someone has 'lost' your car, they are obliged by law to pay for it or replace it. It's up to them to track it down, not you.

I would never pay for anything until I could see the results and most others are the same. It sounds to me like you've been taken for a ride here but as said above, you have a contract with admiral, not some back street garage.
I would threaten admiral with legal action and claim loss of earnings as a result of not having the car.
Check your policy just in case there's some small print that says they are only responsible up until it arrives at a garage :-|
When all this is over, ditch admiral as they are a crap company anyway ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Taylortony said:
Did you get a receipt for the monies?
Yes it was done over a bank transfer, The police have said its not a criminal matter at the moment as i apparently know who has my car annd its not stolen. But the guy i thought had my car has given it to someone else without my permission so surely it is stolen now? Ive spoken to Admiral and they put me straight over to the company that deals with the breakdown assistance which i keep getting fobbed off so ive been advised to take legal action and get a solicitor involved

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
wouldnt suprise me if this car is now in france or somewhere mate get on to the insurance and demand your car back as its there breakdown service!! :( hope this gets resolved soon, i feel for you mate

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tbh honest mate, ive passed caring where it is. its insured so the frogs can have it.

As for the Breakdown company and Admiral.. Im gonna take this all the way with a newspaper :)

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
JamesMorris said:
Yes it was done over a bank transfer, The police have said its not a criminal matter at the moment as i apparently know who has my car annd its not stolen. But the guy i thought had my car has given it to someone else without my permission so surely it is stolen now? Ive spoken to Admiral and they put me straight over to the company that deals with the breakdown assistance which i keep getting fobbed off so ive been advised to take legal action and get a solicitor involved
Get back onto the police, tell them the car was taken to... garage, and now it is no longer at the premesis, therefore the car has been removed without owners permission. hence it is technically uninsured and in fact stolen. you need this backed up with a case number. as if it's found being involved in a RTA they will come directly for you. and also do you for failing to report it stolen.

Explain this to the garage you had it origionally too. as it's amazing what a call by PC Plod can do for business.

as said shuld have been garage of your choice and no money should change hands. You are better going to the police station in the locality of the garage it was taken to. Also if it's a registered garage then the local council may also be interested in the case. moving on from there if the garage does MOT's then the DVLA may also be a good group to inform. do some ringing round !!!

Problem with saying the "car is insured" is just like those people who leave the keys in the ignition whilest it's warming up in a morning and some jumps in and drives off.. (YOUR NOT INSURED) Likewise the people who let test piolets drive before they buy vanish with the motor. (ARE NOT INSURED) you gave yur car to a garage the fact the garage has lost it means the onus would be placed on the garage not your insurance company. (same wa as if the garage burnt down, with your car in it) The fact your relying on the oh well it's insured, is completely a false statement and a very bad attitude to have, and attitude that may also make the insurance company think this is a fraudulant claim and you have broken the cars for spares to sell on and your also trying to get a insurance company to pay out !!!!!

my MESSAGE TO YOU !!!!!! START BANGING THE DRUM... you may lose your hard earned cash for the repair and also the value of the car if you don't !!!! and whatever you do... JUST REMEMBER YOU GAVE THE CAR TO THEM.. and in doing so are going to have a tough time getting insurance to pay out... especially after a month !!!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tony_rigby_uk said:
JamesMorris said:
Get back onto the police, tell them the car was taken to... garage, and now it is no longer at the premesis, therefore the car has been removed without owners permission. hence it is technically uninsured and in fact stolen. you need this backed up with a case number. as if it's found being involved in a RTA they will come directly for you. and also do you for failing to report it stolen.

Explain this to the garage you had it origionally too. as it's amazing what a call by PC Plod can do for business.

as said shuld have been garage of your choice and no money should change hands. You are better going to the police station in the locality of the garage it was taken to. Also if it's a registered garage then the local council may also be interested in the case. moving on from there if the garage does MOT's then the DVLA may also be a good group to inform. do some ringing round !!!

Problem with saying the "car is insured" is just like those people who leave the keys in the ignition whilest it's warming up in a morning and some jumps in and drives off.. (YOUR NOT INSURED) Likewise the people who let test piolets drive before they buy vanish with the motor. (ARE NOT INSURED) you gave yur car to a garage the fact the garage has lost it means the onus would be placed on the garage not your insurance company. (same wa as if the garage burnt down, with your car in it) The fact your relying on the oh well it's insured, is completely a false statement and a very bad attitude to have, and attitude that may also make the insurance company think this is a fraudulant claim and you have broken the cars for spares to sell on and your also trying to get a insurance company to pay out !!!!!

my MESSAGE TO YOU !!!!!! START BANGING THE DRUM... you may lose your hard earned cash for the repair and also the value of the car if you don't !!!! and whatever you do... JUST REMEMBER YOU GAVE THE CAR TO THEM.. and in doing so are going to have a tough time getting insurance to pay out... especially after a month !!!!!
Spoke to the owner of the recovery company today, Told her i had interest in taking it to the papers and she then along with the police located my car. 20 miles in the middle of nowhere in a garage stripped to pieces. The owner of the company also sacked the recovery driver and has offered to get my car fixed in her company for alot cheaper due to the inconvenience. Just glad i have the car located and quids in with regards to repairs! Already informed Admiral im changing insurance companies cos of the whole situation and they didnt even ask for a cancellation fee :)

Cheers for all the advice guys :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts