Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a bit of back story. My car originally failed a mot due to a weak handbrake, and i had the garage swap out rear left calliper as it had seized . The car passed the MOT and a day later it had the ESP light come on the dash. The ABS light is not on, and i cant see any blown fuses on the battery or fuse box. I took the car back to the garage and they scan the car with their tool, and have said the fault is down to the squib, and it will cost £650 to replace.
I thought I would scan the car myself and I can see the following errors which will not clear:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
1 Fault Found:
18057 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from ABS Controller
P1649 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: 0110 0001

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: None
Controller: 8N0 907 379 E
Component: ESP 20 CAN V005
Coding: 18446
Shop #: WSC 01236
VCID: 3E0FB889296F
2 Faults Found:
65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error
00-00 - -
01130 - ABS Operation
27-00 - Implausible Signal
Address 22: AWD Labels: 02D-900-554.LBL
Controller: 02D 900 554 B
Component: HALDEX LSC ECC 0006
VCID: 1F31650D8EA5
1 Fault Found:
01316 - ABS Control Module

Looking at the errors I don't get how a new squib would fix the issue (if they are related)?
with the 65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error I did read that a cheap ebay airbag reset tool could clear this (as i did have a low battery at the time) or its a new bosh unit.
The errors just remain when trying to clear them with vagcom, so i am guessing there is a fault somewhere. Does anyone have any troubleshooting advise, or know what might be causing it?

·
Registered
955 Posts
65535 is a generic ABS failure code that can be hard to reset. Google Ross Tech + 65535, Recently someone posted that they'd managed to do it with a cheap generic scanner so search the archives for this thread, The good news is that it should reset and no new parts are required.

BTW, either you misunderstood what they said or the garage is talking complete BS. 1 maybe 2 strikes against that garage.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Charmadize i haven't checked the rings yet. I had knee surgery a while back so getting under the car aint much of a option these days (I don't have access to a lift or flat work space). @John949 i saw the post about 65535 before I made this one, and ordered a ebay airbag resetter tool, which said it completed successfully but that didn't clear the fault.
The garage def said the squib was causing it and needs replacing. They called audi as its a dealer only part which can not be returned. The wanted money upfront and the part could only be bought through them, if it ddnt fix the issue it wasn't their fault (they sai the error wasnt to do with the work they carried out (they didnt even put it on a lift to check the work). I scanned the car myself with vagcom and the above errors what i could see, i only took it back to them as the fault started a day after they did the handbrake work (I've had it in the past where garages forgot to attach something back in the past). The local garage i used to go to shut down during lockdown (retired).
The errors might not have anything to do with the work they carried out, the car is getting old now.
I've got a new battery, and will attach that next week, and check the power is going to the ABS module itself (just need to find a pin out for it).
I am going to see if i can get the car to 4rings if that doesn't work, as I actually trust dean and co to carry out the work. Its just getting the car there and back that's normally a problem, its on the other side of the river so normally have to take a day off each way if I am leaving it there (If they want to take on this work). I've had the car for about 15+ years now and still love it, but if the cost of repair is going to cost more than half the price of the car I am not sure if its worth it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just a update on this in case anyone else gets it. The issue was the ABS pump and not the squib. Dean at 4rings changed out the unit and there are no more errors on the dash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts