Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello to all ,new member and my first tread .i have just bought a 2000 tt 225 on a cat c (its the only way i could afford my dream car) i stripped out the motor just to make sure everything was ok as the car was a non runner it had sustained a heavy front impact,checked that the timing had not slipped and pulled the sump off to check big ends as there was very little oil in the sump (smashed oil filter housing) they looked perfect :D but on inspecting the turbo it seems to have a lot of up and down shaft play ,not so much thats its touching the housing but seems to me to be to much any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
428 Posts
there should be as little play as possible. i dont know how rigid a new turbo fan is though

·
Registered
303 Posts
you can get replacement turbos pretty cheap now, there are a lot of people ripping oem turbos off and fitting IHI's and the like these days.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
mark0g said:
hello to all ,new member and my first tread .i have just bought a 2000 tt 225 on a cat c (its the only way i could afford my dream car) i stripped out the motor just to make sure everything was ok as the car was a non runner it had sustained a heavy front impact,checked that the timing had not slipped and pulled the sump off to check big ends as there was very little oil in the sump (smashed oil filter housing) they looked perfect :D but on inspecting the turbo it seems to have a lot of up and down shaft play ,not so much thats its touching the housing but seems to me to be to much any advice would be appreciated
How far have you got on the rebuild? We'd all love to see photo's of that as work in progress...(also useful come resale time) there have been some good 'photo histories' - like the member who did a complete strip out rebuild after buying a TT that had been flooded out...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
excellent idea will post pictures, as far as the rebuild im just doing the motor at the moment chassis will need to be jigged the car hit a lamppost dead center so it pulled the two legs in not much but i want to do this right so will get them done by bodyshop airbags have gone drivers and passenger side o/s engine mount broke but did not do much damage other than snaped steering rack ,subframe still looks good but all front bodywork and o/s wing will need replacing but at the moment im enjoying it the build quailty on this car is amazing as far as diagnostics im going to need a lot of help the level at which some of you guys are at is beyond me but learning a lot from reading the posts, thanks for your response and will post pics as soon as i get a chance :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.