Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, time for a bit of advice please.

I've got a 2000, 225 coupe (APX) thats stopped making me smile :cry:

Oil pressure light came on the other day and I don't mind admitting that as I knew nothing about the warning lights (i thought it was low oil level) and the aftermarket oil pressure gauge still showed pressure, i kept driving. :roll:

So bit of research and I realise my mistake. Most posts seem to indicate a blocked pick up pipe so I've replaced that (it was very blocked!).

After giving the car a general service and sorting out a few other niggles I fired it up and after a few minutes on idle, the oil pressure light and alarm went again.

When gently revved the engine gives a rattly chain noise (quite on idle) and the oil pressure light only comes on intermittently.

I've also noticed whilst servicing the engine that theres oil in the turbo charge pipe and discovered that the whining/whistling noise that the turbo gives is not normal (i'd never even been in a tt before i brought this one) and sounds just like a dentist drill :oops:

So I've brought a bit of a lemon it seems. Is it worth chucking more money on it or cut my losses and get a complete 2nd hand engine (£6-700 ish) or take a hit on the car and flog it for spare/repairs.

Next step I suppose would be replace the oil pump which is relatively cheap, but is it worth it?

Any ideas on what the rattlely noise could be?

Any suggestions / advice welcome, I was so chuffed to have a tt, but i'm currently staring at a money pit.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,347 Posts
Hi JMH, It appears you are O.K. with spanners so replace oil pump, engine oil & filter, then see how she sounds.
Many things will rattle with low oil pressure, even if alarm isn't standing.Until you get normal oil pressure you will never know.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
JMH said:
I've also noticed whilst servicing the engine that theres oil in the turbo charge pipe and discovered that the whining/whistling noise that the turbo gives is not normal (i'd never even been in a tt before i brought this one) and sounds just like a dentist drill :oops:
Hoggy is absolutely correct, low oil pressure can cause all sorts of rattles,but for the Dentist's drill noise i would be looking at the turbo and giving the compresser wheel a wiggle.
Whilst you should be able to pull and push the comp wheel a very very small amount, you shouldnt be able to move it left to right, up and down at all and whilst youre there i would check the blades themselves for damage, as what you have described sounds like the blades rubbing on the outer casing and if this is true, i would stop and think about what your next move might be, as the metal filings could have quite easily gone into the engine.

But give it a check and see what you have, it may be nothing.
Some oil in the pipes is normal as is some in the intercooler.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, having done some more research I'm reassured enough that it's worth swapping the pump out to see what happens there.

Is there anything else to check out while I'm at it, is there anything else that would cause the low pressure issue that I could eliminate?

I'll take a look at the turbo too, is it accessible from the top ( take the charge pipe and hose elbow off?) the top connection of the elbow is secured by a jubilee but the bottom seems to be one of the metal straps, is it ok to replace the latter with a jubilee?

Cheers
John

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The turbo is accessable from the top i would just take off the charge pipe and check there, i woudnt take off the metal straps underneath unless you needed to and im fairly sure you dont.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,347 Posts
Hi JMH, How can you be reassured that replacing the oil pump will not cure the low oil pressure prob. :?
You could check that the oil pressure relief valve in oil filter bracket is not stuck open, unlikely but possible.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Sounds like turbo on its way out. Your be lucky to get a 1.8T lump for £600-£700 even a APX! Budget more like £1200 for a good one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hoggy said:
Hi JMH, How can you be reassured that replacing the oil pump will not cure the low oil pressure prob. :?
You could check that the oil pressure relief valve in oil filter bracket is not stuck open, unlikely but possible.
I was assured as I couldn't find any other common reason for the low pressure problem until now :?

I've ordered the pump so will fit that and see what happens. Is there any obvious signs to look at with the old pump to show if it had failed?

Will check the pressure relief valve if this doesn't cure it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
st3v3 said:
The turbo is accessable from the top i would just take off the charge pipe and check there, i woudnt take off the metal straps underneath unless you needed to and im fairly sure you dont.
It was the rubber (silicon in my case) elbow hose between the charge pipe and the turbo that I was referring to, the bottom of the hose is clamped to the turbo using a single use metal zip tie kind of strap rather than a jubilee clip.

I'll whip it off and have a wiggle!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bikerz said:
Sounds like turbo on its way out. Your be lucky to get a 1.8T lump for £600-£700 even a APX! Budget more like £1200 for a good one.
Hmm less good, cheers for the input, I was going on a quick eBay search that seemed to pull up a couple of apx's for around that price from breakers.

Fingers crossed I won't need to go there, especially if they are going to be over a grand for a decent one :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts