Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I’m looking for advice on how to replace the whip aerial on my roadster. During installing a reversing camera, I thought it would be a good opportunity to replace the oem FM aerial with a DAB aerial. Removing the oem aerial was pretty simple but with the DAB aerial, the fixing nut has to be done from underneath. Access to under the aerial is very limiting and with the tips of my fingers, I could just reach the underneath but unable to screw on the fixing nut.

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks
Craig

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Quattro Roadster
12,789 Posts
This might help. It's only for swapping the OEM for a stubby, but has a diagram for how the antenna is attached under the metal work -

Bicycle part Rim Natural material Wood Carbon

·
Registered
519 Posts
I've recently replaced corroded (& subsequently found to be non-functioning) roadster antenna & amplifier.
Agree horrendous position to get into.
Do you have a picture or weblink for the fitting you are putting in?
My initial thoughts are a socket spanner on the end of some kind of flexible drive.

Like this - but clearly limited by wires coming out - you might need to modify the spanner socket by grinding a slot in it for the wires.

·
Super Moderator
12,789 Posts
@ JohnnyFarmer - Did you have to remove the retaining nut from inside the trunk...???

The instructions seem to indicate once the antenna -4- is removed, the nut -2- is on the outside of the body directly under the black conical grommet -3-.

Obviously the left side trunk panel would have to come off in order to access the antenna amplifier from inside the trunk. From these photos, I'm assuming the two cables noted with red arrows go to the antenna amplifier...??

Organism Font Triangle Parallel Slope

Product Camera accessory Automotive tire Cylinder Material property

Left side trunk panel removed -

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car Vehicle

Red arrows point to the two cables running up to the antenna -

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Rim

·
Registered
519 Posts
Morning SJP - Merry Christmas etc. As I understand it Wdfboltonc is fitting an after-market DAB antenna - mine was simply a replacement OEM. The conical cover to the right of the picture clips off revealing the metal nut & black plastic seating 'washer' to which it is attached & which on tightening the nut will pull the amplifier tight up to the inside of the rear wing. On my amplifier there was no internal nut - I think it's just present on Wdfboltonc's one.

Automotive tire Camera accessory Cameras & optics Automotive wheel system Household hardware
Wood Sports equipment Automotive tire Gas Circle
Wood Reptile Terrestrial animal Serpent Metal
Automotive tire Finger Automotive lighting Thumb Wood

Though it was a ballache to re-fit I now have a working radio on my RNSE with Q good sound :)

·
Super Moderator
12,789 Posts
@ JohnnyFarmer - Merry Christmas! :)
Geeze - that did not look like fun at all.
Anytime the drill comes out to remove a nut or bolt, it's not going to be a good day - LOL!
Hopefully his DAB antenna will fit properly once the OEM antenna is out of the way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the posts. As JohnnyFarmer mentioned, I’m trying to fit an aftermarket DAB aerial. Access to the bottom of the aerial where the fixing nut needs to be secured is very limited with getting the hand past the amp through a small access. I’ve read another online article where another person managed to get the nut on but only finger tight. Might have a look behind the wheel lining. No access from behind the light cluster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.