Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My Mum's 2006 TT has an aftermarket radio fitted (in the car when bought so not sure of the wiring). I have given it a VCDS scan and there are a couple of fault codes related to it being removed, and no obvious way to decode it. I am very familiar with the MK2 but can't see a way to remove these:

Code:
Address 17: Instruments        Labels: 8Nx-920-xxx-17.lbl
   Part No: 8N2 920 980 A
   Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. M73 D09  
   Coding: 00444
   Shop #: WSC 00000  
   VCID: 3561C75F0FB4ADB6775-4A9C
   TRUZZZ8N661003687     AUZ5Z0E6295030

2 Faults Found:
01304 - Radio 
            49-00 - No Communications
01305 - Databus for Infotainment 
            37-00 - Faulty
Thanks

·
Registered
TT Mk2 VR6 3.6L & TT Mk1 1.8t Frankenturbo
2,167 Posts
Because of the aftermarket radio those codes will always be there.

The later model (02 > ) have canbus to send data to the cluster. There's no way to permanently get rid of these.

They don't leave the car running strange or are related to any other system so unless you want to spend endless nights going no where - best to just leave it as is.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
As Ian says it's not worth worrying about these codes. One of my cars gives a code that translates as 'no communication with the gearbox ECU' - it's a manual and doesn't have a gearbox ECU!

Just for academic interest though....

Do the later Mk1s use CAN for the steering wheel controls? (Mk 2s do) If so, one of those steering wheel control adapters (from people like Connects 2) would impersonate the radio data on the CAN bus and probably clear the codes. It might also make the steering wheel controls work with the aftermarket radio.

Another way would be to find an aftermarket radio with a CAN interface. The Xtrons units for the Mk 2 have this but I don't know of any single DIN units with a CAN interface, but then I've never looked for one.

The final way would be to build a dummy CAN interface, using say an Arduino. Overkill just to get rid of a couple of errors but it would allow you to put any message you like on the top two lines of the DIS. There was a post about this fairly recently. A project to while away those long winter evenings though.

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll leave it as is, shame it cannot be coded out. My experience with the MK2 is that most things can be coded out if removed

There are no steering wheel controls on this car either

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Instrument cluster adaptation on channel 62 sets the installed equipment list:
+00001 = Radio
+00002 = Telephone
+00004 = Navigation
+00008 = Telematics (on later clusters only)

My guess is if you set this to 0 it will probably stop moaning.

Edit: Added the Telematics coding flag.

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't think of checking adaptation, I'll have a check next time

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Just fitted a new battery so while i was messing i tried the adaptation but full version of VCDS is needed.
As the radio is the only fault code i have it would be nice to clear it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hi , I have the same fault codes showing on my 2002 225 TT.
can someone explain this a little further please , I have full vcds,I wonder if someone has had a different head unit in at some point and changed the coding ,
I have the concert head unit with tape player and 6 disc cd plus Bose ,it’s noto affecting anything but would like a fault free scan

·
Registered
12,716 Posts
Hi , I have the same fault codes showing on my 2002 225 TT.
can someone explain this a little further please , I have full vcds,I wonder if someone has had a different head unit in at some point and changed the coding ,
I have the concert head unit with tape player and 6 disc cd plus Bose ,it’s noto affecting anything but would like a fault free scan
There was a change to the way the radios were controlled for the 2002 model year.
Concert 1 radio cassette (which is what you have) was replaced by the Concert 2 radio CD player for 2002 model year.

Until the end of the 2001 model year (August 2001), the radio had an ignition switched feed.
From the 2002 model year (September 2001), the radio did not have an ignition switched feed and used CANbus instead.

·
Registered
12,716 Posts
Before you do though, just check your VIN number to confirm you have a 2002 or later car.
ie: TRUZZZ8N*2***

Concert 2 have the knobs at each end.

Computer Personal computer Laptop accessory Gadget Computer hardware

"Bose" or not Bose is just a coding setting in the radio that you can change with VCDS.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts