Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost 12 months to the day we now have the 350mm Momo 'Jet' leather/carbon steering wheel fitted.

Original photoshopped concept:

The shopping list...
Momo 'Jet' - £159.99
Audi Emblem horn button - £12 (eBay)
RAID 'Snap-Off' Quick Release - £90
Momo Boss - £45
Awesome GTi Labour - 1 hour

Hope you like (I know lots of TT owners on here criticise aftermaket steering wheels for the loss of the airbag)...

And safe at night...

EDITED TO SAY: Will be selling the old Baseball leather steering wheel with airbag if anyone wants to make an offer?

Reactions: JamieL

·
Registered
179 Posts
Am sorry:

I do not like to criticise seen similar spec direct from japan, for £30 plus postage on e-bay,(Without the label)

But would never give away such a huge safety device for a look, even though am a neep for looks and mods.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But no way would I give away a such a huge safety device for a look, even though am a neep for looks and mods.
It's not really the look... It's also the feel of the wheel, the comfort, the ease of use and the security factor.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
I asked my insurers about this and they said it would have no impact on my premium so long as I informed them of all mods, including the after maket steering wheel, on the proposal form. They also said that not being honest and open was a definite no-no. So, everthing declared = no problem. I didn't fit the Momo item after all because of the lack of an air bag. I don't think the Lotus Elise has a steering wheel air bag. It never bothered me over the years when I owned a Lotus.

Joe

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not for me I'm afraid sorry, if I were going to loose the airbag I'd get a flat bottom Audi steering wheel which at least would tie in with the rest of the car.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I'm sorry Rachel. It just doesn't go with the interior IMHO :(

Josh

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fighting my corner here :)

Been using a disklok for the past 12 months - not fun! Until you have one you don't realise how much room they take up within a roadster's small interior.

Also, each Snap-Off lock and wheel fitment is unique so even if a thief did bring his own steering wheel it wouldn't fit. Two of the base plate bolts are now filled with resin so it would take at least 20 minutes of faffing around to unscrew the Snap-Off base plate.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The shopping list...
Momo 'Jet' - £159.99
Audi Emblem horn button - £12 (eBay)
RAID 'Snap-Off' Quick Release - £90
Momo Boss - £45
Awesome GTi Labour - 1 hour
The cost of vanity over safety........FATAL !

As a TT owner i still cannot get my head around why some make so many MODs and especially some MODs that do not bring anything good to the car............This has to be in my view the worst of all MODs and a wreckless one at that! It should not be encouraged in any respect.

There are designers and developers who work for Audi and get paid big money to design parts for their cars, there was considerable time and energy spent in designing the TT steering wheel in an effort to make the design timeless and fitting for this particular car. At no point in time does Audi consult "Halfords" for design and style tips.

Please do not cheapen the look of the TT with these after market pointless MODs. The car is of a timeless design and does not require "our" ideas on style, which are fleeting and usually based on cheapness and chavness, next thing ya know ya will have the furry dice and lexus lights on it..................

·
Registered
83,935 Posts
rachelc said:
Fighting my corner here :)

Been using a disklok for the past 12 months - not fun! Until you have one you don't realise how much room they take up within a roadster's small interior.
I find the bset place to store the disc lock is behind the drivers seat :idea:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Shev said:
Not for me I'm afraid sorry, if I were going to loose the airbag I'd get a flat bottom Audi steering wheel which at least would tie in with the rest of the car.
Shev you don't lose the airbag if u get a flat-bottom installed if by someone who knows what they're doing (ie how to alter the wiring). See my post from a couple of weeks ago.

The Momo one is not my cuppa tea so if anyone wanted to upgrade their steering wheel i'd recommed the Mk2 TT wheel route anyday :)

·
Registered
83,935 Posts
Kingfisher_TT said:
Shev you don't lose the airbag if u get a flat-bottom installed if by someone who knows what they're doing (ie how to alter the wiring). See my post from a couple of weeks ago.
I thought as the mk2 has a 2 stage air bag and the mk1 a single stage air bag even if it is wired up to the mk1 there is no garantee the mk2 air bag will work correctly if at all

1 - 20 of 37 Posts