Audi TT Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
YELLOW_TT said:
Kingfisher_TT said:
Shev you don't lose the airbag if u get a flat-bottom installed if by someone who knows what they're doing (ie how to alter the wiring). See my post from a couple of weeks ago.
I thought as the mk2 has a 2 stage air bag and the mk1 a single stage air bag even if it is wired up to the mk1 there is no garuntee the mk2 air bag will work correctly if at all
True about 2 stage airbag but nah it can work - speak to Gareth here: www.vwcruise.com

Weird name, top boys.

·
Registered
849 Posts
rachelc said:
Fighting my corner here :)

Been using a disklok for the past 12 months - not fun! Until you have one you don't realise how much room they take up within a roadster's small interior.

Also, each Snap-Off lock and wheel fitment is unique so even if a thief did bring his own steering wheel it wouldn't fit. Two of the base plate bolts are now filled with resin so it would take at least 20 minutes of faffing around to unscrew the Snap-Off base plate.
I just slot mine behind the drivers seat and yes I do have a roadster.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I don't really like it, but that is based purely on looks. Re the airbag, if you don't want one then that's up to you really, I have owned/driven loads of Classic cars since I was 17 and most of these had less saftey features than a stick of TNT wrapped in barbed wire, so it really is a personal choice thing.
If airbag ownership was a core reason for owning or driving a car then you would never see about 99% of the old classic cars on the roads that We all secretly enjoy looking at and wish we owned. X type jag springs to my mind.,,,,,mmmm X Type [smiley=sweetheart.gif]

·
Super Moderator
24,444 Posts
But not many classic cars are everyday runners hence hugely reducing the risk of accident and necessity.

For the kind of money spend on the Momo I would of gone for the newer Audi flat bottomed wheel.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Kingfisher_TT said:
Shev said:
Not for me I'm afraid sorry, if I were going to loose the airbag I'd get a flat bottom Audi steering wheel which at least would tie in with the rest of the car.
Shev you don't lose the airbag if u get a flat-bottom installed if by someone who knows what they're doing (ie how to alter the wiring). See my post from a couple of weeks ago.

The Momo one is not my cuppa tea so if anyone wanted to upgrade their steering wheel i'd recommed the Mk2 TT wheel route anyday :)
Hmm thats useful to know. I do like the look of yours so if I was going down the route of changing the steering wheel that would be the way to go.

·
Registered
83,925 Posts
the black pearl said:
go for this ...a must to keep the airbag.............its in the for sale section "all my TT bit for sale"

Thats the one I went with very nice bit of kit you could also go for the qS wheel but they are about £300

·
Registered
2 Posts
The cost of vanity over safety........FATAL !

As a TT owner i still cannot get my head around why some make so many MODs and especially some MODs that do not bring anything good to the car............This has to be in my view the worst of all MODs and a wreckless one at that! It should not be encouraged in any respect.

There are designers and developers who work for Audi and get paid big money to design parts for their cars, there was considerable time and energy spent in designing the TT steering wheel in an effort to make the design timeless and fitting for this particular car. At no point in time does Audi consult "Halfords" for design and style tips.

Please do not cheapen the look of the TT with these after market pointless MODs. The car is of a timeless design and does not require "our" ideas on style, which are fleeting and usually based on cheapness and chavness, next thing ya know ya will have the furry dice and lexus lights on it..................
Interesting point of view, however, a smaller steering wheel gives you a quicker steering action, and a better feel

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Looks nice! loss of airbag wouldn't worry me in the slightest since most of the cars I've owned dont have them. Hell the MG Midget even has a non colapsable column ! Now that concentrates the mind about how close you are to the car infront .

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also had a momo mod.88 for a while, with a quick release but being a smaller wheel , i couldnt see anything from 60 mph upto 120 mph, so i now have the mk 2 or might even be mk3 wheel with matching and wired correctly airbag.

Also, why is my post counter at zero ?? been a member here for SIX YEARS

21 - 37 of 37 Posts