Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering replacing my Concert with a Kenwood unit.

However, I'd like to retain as much use as possible of the existing kit.

I know people have said the DIS doesn't integrate, which is fair enough; but what about the glovebox iPod dock and Audi Bluetooth?

If these don't integrate, I think I might just stick with what I have. My Tomtom on the dash annoys me, but not as much as having additional iPod cables etc.

however, I'm prepared to be swayed, so any info is gratefully appreciated :)

·
Registered
11,940 Posts
If you get a decent Kenwood it all comes with it so no requirement for the OEM shite

·
Registered
899 Posts
Related question - if I do a straight swap for the Kenwood DNX-7240BT which is all singing dancing bells, whistles etc - is it just a straight swap with the OEM unit or do I need a bunch of adapters, cables etc.

Also, I'm going to be using my iPhone as the iPod so I'll just chuck that in the glove box but will the BT still work? Anyone know? Just a bit concerned that with it being connected to the unit in two ways would I still be able to receive calls? Would it come through the unit and speakers because it is hard wired anyway or does it need to be a BT connection for it to work?

Not actually got the car yet lol - but it's not far off and this is my first purchase :)

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
At least with the Tom Tom it only spoils the look when you have it out.
You can always put it in the glovebox until you need it.

Can't really hide the kenwood or pioneer.
Plus don't forget this would be classed as a mod by the insurance people.

·
Registered
11,940 Posts
Mine wasn't asked about when I had my accident and the after market speakers all hidden in OEM positions

Yes you will need to change the cables to match the HU to the cars wiring loom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know what you mean about a decent kenwood having it all built in, but it's paying extra cost for stuff I already have. In that case I may as well not have went for the S Line SE.

My main aim is to get a decent iPod system, and potentially an inbuilt nav. But it needs to be better than the TomTomGo HD I have at the moment, and I would probably wait until my Live subscription runs out.
Garmin on the Kenwood will no doubt be good, but the traffic on the TomTom Go is awesome.

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
So you want to pay a grand for ipod tags?

I'd just stick with the standard unit,
get OEM satnav and ditch the ipod altogether,
or just jam the ipod into the AUX and thumb wheel it while on the move.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha no, I'm hardly paying a grand for iPod tags.

I'd be paying whatever I feel is reasonable for:

Full control of the iPod, and not just limited to 5 playlists which works arbitrarily. Sound quality is fine, but I can't select an audiobook, or a podcast, or any number of things.
Yes, I could use the AUX, but try using an iPod Touch whilst driving, not easy, not to mention illegal.

OEM satnav is nowhere near as good as the TomTom or Garmin.

I know, I'm probably asking for a lot, but I feel a bit let down by both the OEM iPod link, and the OEM Bluetooth (people complain I sound muffled and miles away)

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
Sound issue only really happens on the iphone. All the other devices seem fine.

I'd not agree re-tom tom and garmin.
Does absolutely everything and looks stunning too :p

You might find that an OEM solution is just round the corner audio wise.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm using a Nokia E71 and a BlackBerry Bold 9000 with mine, and people complain it sounds muffled. I've heard some reports that the mic is on the passenger side though, so maybe this needs investigated.

I haven't seen the OEM solution in action so it's a bit unfair for me to comment further. When you say OEM which device are you talking about and how much: :D

Oh, something around the corner? Any info? I can smell $$$$$$!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.