Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My air con hasn't been working for weeks so I have been trawling the internet for help and have checked all my fuses (16 and the batter cover one) replaced my ambient temp sensor and checked that the compressor kicks in. Its also been pressure checked and the system is holding pressure but I am not sure whether it requires top up or not. I have found that the compressor sounds like its kicking in but I have no hot and cold pipes at the condensor. Today I checked the climatronic fault codes and I have a 22.1 22.1 (F118) A/C Refrigerant High Pressure Switch, static open, *22.1.
I suppose I will need to check the sensor/switch behind the heatshield on the bulkhead but before stripping the engine bay of a few bits and pieces I thought I would come on here and ask if anyone has had a similar problem?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
If its running (compressor running) then the fault is probably 'old'
The HP switch would shut off the power..assume this is a late model Mk1?
Vag Com scan and fault code clear suggested.

No cooling is normally a) overcharged (tube work would be hot) or b) undercharged (i'd start here)

HP switch should run both fans at max speed if its 'real'

R134a (the refrigerant) is a phase change fluid so you can be almost full or almost empty and still get a 'good' pressure reading.

Recover and recharge with correct mass is the 'simple' solution. System is charge (fill weight) sensitive and you need to be pretty close to get good cooling.... 750g for all Mk1's

If the HP code is 'real' look at failed fans, blocked expansion valve etc etc....

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really helpful post so thank you. I think I will bite the bullet on the recharge as its only £50 and if that fails I can get hold of that switch from a breaker or Audi if its not ridiculously priced.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts