Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The airbag warning light on dash came on this morning. VCDS gives a fault code of 65535 - internal control module memory error.

My research indicates this may have been caused by the cold weather leading to a slight voltage drop which causes light to come on.

In any case, VCDS won’t clear it (as is often the case it seems) and searching suggests I need a specific reset tool. However, all the ones on EBay seem not to work for an 8n TT or it’s not too clear that they will. My part number for the module is 8n8 909 601 and the sellers I’ve seen don’t include this part number in their ads.

Anyone used anything recently that has successfully worked before I just take a punt on something?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
8N8909601 has been dropped and replaced by 8N8909601TA

BUT, that is a VERY early car and currently subject to a global airbag recall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s interesting David. Any more details on the recall, not heard of that?

It is an early car I guess - year 2000.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I will call Audi next week…

However, my original question still stands (as I can’t see Audi fixing it for me as part of the recall!) - anyone recently used a reset device that they can recommend?
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Audi won’t solve your problem with the airbag controller. They only fit a new gas generator to the driver airbag. I had same problem as you have, and did buy the reset tool from EBay. But however it did reset the light, it immediately came back on. Although there seem to be people around here where it has worked. And end up buying another controller from EBay.
The one David C. mentioned.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,704 Posts
Hi, Even if the fault has been cured, VCDS is still required to clear the alarm & I believe the Ebay reset tool has been used to clear the alarm after the fault has been.has cured, as the owner doesn't wish to purchase the more expensive VCDS.
Hoggy. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Regardless, VCDS won't clear it (as is regularly the case it appears) and looking proposes I really want a particular reset instrument. In any case, every one of the ones on EBay appear to be not to work for a 8n TT or it's not excessively certain that they will. My part number for the module is 8n8 909 601 and the venders I've seen do exclude this part number in their advertisements.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The above is what I’ve found. Only option appears to me to be to remove module and send it off for repair to somewhere like Crashdata Repair. Not ideal as it may well come in again.

I’m considering sticking a new battery in too, as although it starts fine, from what I’ve read, a slight drop in voltage from an ageing battery can cause this fault. I don’t know how old the battery is (only bought car a few months ago). I also get the sticking Rev counter on start up which I think is also another sign of an old battery (Despite having dash cluster repaired and checked - and a new motor put in Rev counter).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have called Audi and it is indeed due a recall on the airbag gas canister - so thanks David for pointing this out to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts