Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has come to my attention on another thread that "Some" people belive that Brake Fluid changes were done every 2 years in the 70's and that it's a sealed system and doesn't need changing as regular..

PLEASE will you all check your service books.. Also the TTshop website states:-
TT SHOP said:
Every 2 years (regardless of mileage)

Brake Fluid (Pressure Bleed) Change - £49.99
It is important to keep up to date with brake fluid servicing. A car with old brake fluid can be dangerous as the brakes will not work efficiently.

Performance Brake Fluid (Pressure Bleed) Change - £69.98
We also offer an upgrade to a higher spec performance fluid with a higher boiling point. Ideal for fast road use and track days.
This is a Millers Racing 300 performance fluid.
[/quote]

So can you all check your not running with Old Brake Fluid.. it's a safety thing, and was quite alarmed to hear the comment !!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I always have it done every two years :)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Do we all change it every two years or less ?

Mine was last done four years ago but has passed its last MOT with flying colours on brake performance levels . I always ask the tester if the brakes are performing well within limits .

Having said that I will get it done shortly to stay safe but personally I am happy with every four years unless I notice a reduced level of brake performance .

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,347 Posts
Hi, Brake fluid absorbs moisture (hygroscopic) & during really hard braking (track days etc) the moisture can boil, turn to steam (a vapour) & give a long pedal & of course braking performance reduced, unlikely to happen during normal day to day driving.
The other prob if performance is not affected, moisture can cause corrosion of pistons/ABS systems etc.
Every 4 years is plenty in my opinion, if not doing track days etc.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
18,637 Posts
I'll need to check my service book, I honestly don't know when it was last changed, the car was partially Audi serviced and then indie serviced prior to me purchasing, I've had it a year and a half so maybe due

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
kazinak said:
I have pressure beed tool thats way do mine every 6months :D :D
which kit do you have kazinak and straighforward to use?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
It's pretty standard to change every 2 years, as the service book says.

Sent from paul4281's iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
chrissy1502002 said:
I just check the moisture content with a tester from my work :D Its measured on a scale of 1%-4% with 1 beeing new and 4 needing changed badly.
I saw these - if moisture is the problem and it still showed a low reading after 4 years would you change then and if so why ?

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
Hoggy said:
Every 4 years is plenty in my opinion, if not doing track days etc.
Hoggy. :D
+1

Have to agree as to boil brake fluid takes some very consistent aggressive driving! Also have always changed it every 4-5 years in the past with no problems. Admittedly I've done the TT every 2 years as it seems to have cured my ESP light.

·
Registered
400 Posts
grasmere said:
chrissy1502002 said:
I just check the moisture content with a tester from my work :D Its measured on a scale of 1%-4% with 1 beeing new and 4 needing changed badly.
I saw these - if moisture is the problem and it still showed a low reading after 4 years would you change then and if so why ?
Simple answer, nope :) The whole reason for changing the fluid is because its hydroscopic and takes in water over time, however if there is no moisture content there is no need to change it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
We have a tester at the garage, TBH modern cars with 100% sealed systems including the reservoir do not usually need a brake fluid change every 2 years and its another way for a manufacturer to make money, even if the brake fluid is at dangerously high level of moisture it takes allot of braking for the braking to be affected, mainly on track days. When I owned my TT I check the brake fluid every service, it hadn't had a brake fluid change for 8 years (previous owners never had it changed) the meter showed no moisture. I used to drive my car quite aggressively at times and enjoyed heavy driving on country roads, I never suffered any brake issues. Your choice but thats my professional opinion, I certainly wouldn't be taking any sort of advice on here from someone who really does have very little knowledge about cars and just likes to throw little fact with a high amount of fiction!!!!

shak

·
Premium Member
3,525 Posts
When I got my TT I replaced the brake pads for EBC redstuff and performed a brake bleed. The fluid was a little darker and I suspect that it was still the original after 5.5 years. Looks like Audi hadn't bothered to change it.

As said above, the best method is to check the fluid rather than keep replacing it. The systems should not be absorbing so much moisture to require a 2 year change. It's just a waste to the environment unless it's necessary.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts