Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any guides on how to replace a bonnet release cable on a mk1 TT coupe? I seen some posts which say it takes between 90min- 2 hours to replace?
It looks like it just goes under the wheel arch and through the firewall, but i am not sure if you need to take any of the dash apart to change it. i thought it was just a grommet through the firewall but am not sure with the time frames quoted. Just don't want to start a job in the freezing cold if i cant finish it.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Are you wanting to change it because the current one is far too stiff?

You might not find a difference as I think they have always been stiff. The issue is trying to pull it past it's release point.

·
Registered
83,935 Posts
I’ve changed 2 because they were stiff one was much better the other made no difference

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cable was always stiff but last week, i ended up pulling the the handle out of the captive nuts as it had gotten too stiff. I opened up the bonnet lock mech up to clean it out, as it was covered in junk. When i refitted the cable I could pull fully open without it engaging the lock (if i left it as is it prob wouldn't open again if i closed the bonnet. I know people have added washer to the cable to keep the same one going for longer but a new cable was only £13 (Audi don't do the lock mechanisms any more). I bought a 2nd hand lock mech to change that at the same time, but that was as stiff as the one i had. I was hoping that changing the cable would at least get the release back to the previous working condition.
I have taken the wheel arch off yet, but the cables not that long, so i am not sure why it would take 2hours to replace unless its a accessibility issue?

·
Registered
66 Posts
i had greased my assembly up with copper slip, as i have done with many suspension parts. reading your thread, i might put some more on. definitely clean as much as the mechanism as you can of muck and copper slip it all up. some jobs look like they must be a nightmare. kevin

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
I had to change the actual handle on the Mk6 Golf I have the handle was really stiff and then went, my son in law thought it was the cable snapping because too stiff, but the insides of the handle broke, but that was because the popup mechanism was corroded / grimy (some is plastic some is metal) so they pulled on it too much - once that was sorted it only has about a 1cm movement and a noticeable click when popped. The S3 was so stiff the handle casing moved as well.

The TT is okay because I am opening up the bonnet so often :D :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts