Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just wondering if anyone has ever fitted an Ebay turbo? Now I know that most people are going to tell me I'm off my head but the problem is this is the 2nd Turbo I will have bought in the last three months.......

The first one died of natural causes, the second one (purchased from one of the guys on here) has recently given up the ghost. I was too much of a tightwad the first time around to spend the £700 on a new one and bought one with about 30k miles on it which worked lovely for about 3 months than BANG.......were back to square one.

To be honest the problem I have is I just can't afford to spend the £700 on the unit and another £300 on fitting it (that's what it will cost in Ireland).

I have tried Backdraft and they seem to be the cheapest for a new standard APX 225 K04 (022) Turbo at £700 including VAT. I have been looking at the following on Fleabay:

EBAY US
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-S3- ... ccessories

EBAY UK
ttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-AUDI-S3-TT-K04 ... 35a5a13630

Anybody used this crowd in Barking, TurboRevs?

Anyway I would appreciate everybodies feedback, I know most will reccomend that I fit a standard turbo but I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has fit one of these dubiously sourced turbo's.

Cheers Lads,

Sam

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Wak said:
Perhaps you should get your oil pump and strainer changed first? :?
+1 for two to go so quickly it would point at something else being amiss. A turbo with a genuine 30k on it should be in good health, did you have it checked before fitment?

Charlie

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wak/Charlie,

Cheers for the responses, I had the oil return pipe replaced as the last one was clogged and I imagine that was the reason for the first one getting goosed i.e. oil starvation.

The second one I fitted I didn't get checked, so my own fault really hence I'm back to square one. The turbo is running ok but I can hear the impellor blades spinning of the housing of what I presume is the turbo housing, a horrible banshee like death knell, needless to say I haven't been driving very far on it.

Cheers Lads,

P.S. Am I kidding myself by looking at these cheap turbos......

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
rambochickensambo said:
Wak/Charlie,

Cheers for the responses, I had the oil return pipe replaced as the last one was clogged and I imagine that was the reason for the first one getting goosed i.e. oil starvation.

The second one I fitted I didn't get checked, so my own fault really hence I'm back to square one. The turbo is running ok but I can hear the impellor blades spinning of the housing of what I presume is the turbo housing, a horrible banshee like death knell, needless to say I haven't been driving very far on it.

Cheers Lads,

P.S. Am I kidding myself by looking at these cheap turbos......
My dear old Mum always says "You buy cheap you buy twice" don't make it thrice :) I would have it looked at by a pro in case the turbo isn't the root cause.

Charlie

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hhahahah..................Charlie your dead right, I knew buying a cheap/2nd Turbo could end up biting me in the ass and hey presto that old adage came back to haunt me.

I think I will just suck it up and get on from Backdraft/Turbo Technics, thanks for your help though lads musch appreciated.

Regards,

Sam

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
j3nks79,

Do, let me know how you go with it, do you mind me asking where which ebay shop you bought it from? Wouldn't mind some feedback on the quality of the product, any idea as to where it is made?

Cheers

Sam

·
Registered
201 Posts
I bought it from emotorparts on ebay. £249 delivered. Came within 3 days.... Well pleased with the overall service and the turbo looks good quality. I have recently replace the whole engine and this weekend and putting in a gearbox and this new turbo. I thought it was worth the gamble for £249.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hear what your saying, it's almost impossible to pass up a price like that when compared to standard charges of £600+. My only concern i given that I have alrady taken a cheaper option fist time around not sure if it is worth it given the cost of labour. Let us know how the car runs with the Turbo in.

·
Registered
28,018 Posts
rambochickensambo said:
I had the oil return pipe replaced as the last one was clogged and I imagine that was the reason for the first one getting goosed i.e. oil starvation.
So what about the now restricted oil feed and most likely the oil/pump and strainer that are not delivering enough pressure to feed oil to the turbo!

Oil return may have clogged up because of low pressure coming into the turbo, Oil Return would be a consequence of the cause of the problem....you really need to get the bits mentioned changed IMO oil pump, strainer and oil feed to turbo to be 100% sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WAK,

Thanks for the feed back, sorry it took me ages to get back, it was the oil feed pipe that I changed at last Turbo swap. I had thought this time around it was as a result of just buying a used turbo. If I replace the oil pump and oil strainer do you think that might "cover-off" all eventualities??

Thanks for your help, really appreicate it.

Regards,

Sam

·
Registered
538 Posts
If you don't want to replace the oil pump I suggest getting an oil pressure gauge on to check.

Though from the sounds of it as Wak says you have an oil pressure problem. As again as he says most likely the sump needs removing and cleaning the strainer (Common problem).

·
Registered
28,018 Posts
rambochickensambo said:
WAK,

Thanks for the feed back, sorry it took me ages to get back, it was the oil feed pipe that I changed at last Turbo swap. I had thought this time around it was as a result of just buying a used turbo. If I replace the oil pump and oil strainer do you think that might "cover-off" all eventualities??

Thanks for your help, really appreicate it.

Regards,

Sam
If you never reviewed this before I would do the oil pump and strainer AND Oil feed again as it may have started to clog up if the original problem was pressure.

I's say for peace of mind do the oil pump even if it were the strainer alone.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you never review this before I would do the oil pump and strainer AND Oil feed again as it may have started to clog up if the original problem was pressure.

I's say for peace of mind do the oil pump even if it were the strainer alone.[/quote]

Take the very wise advice given, I've reaped what I've sowed as it were, wish I had (known) during my rebuild, oil pump failed on Fri, turbo is ok, but the engine I fear is mullered top & bottom. Soo fed up!!!
Paddy [smiley=bigcry.gif]

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you never review this before I would do the oil pump and strainer AND Oil feed again as it may have started to clog up if the original problem was pressure.

I's say for peace of mind do the oil pump even if it were the strainer alone.[/quote]

Take the very wise advice given above, I'm now reaping what I've sowed. Rebuilt engine 3k ago and cleaned everything strainer & pump, wish I knew then what I know now, for £50 it's a no brainer. Mine failed last friday, top & bottom of engine are mullered I fear, turbo seems ok.
Paddy [smiley=bigcry.gif]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wak,

Thanks for the advice, I have put on order on a new oil pump and wil have the strainer cleaned as well as dropping the sump out. Paddy gutted to hear that the pump went on you mate, I have only recently replaced a turbo and I was devestated when that went tits-up so I feel for you mate I really do.

10-4

Sam

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Sam

Sorry to hear the turbo you bought from me has gone as well. Can only assure you that is was fine when it came off the car after ~30k miles, when I had the turbo conversion. It was checked when it came off the car and was thought to be in good working order so to go so soon on your car does really point to there being another problem as suggested by the others. Hopefully if you get to the root cause of it then you can always look at it as breaking a cheap used turbo to find the problem, imagine how you would feel if you'd paid £600 for a new one and the same thing would had happened! I realise this is a small consolation and hope you get your car back running properly soon.

Rob

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rob,

No panic at all mate, the risk/reward scenario on buying the turbo from you was too much to pass-up. Like the lads have pointed out I need to look at the strainer, the oil feed and the oil pump as opposed to just changing the turbo. To be honest I had this out with the mechanic I had been using for the last 5 years and he was insistent on just replacing the turbo, eventually after taking out the turbo he acknowledged that the oil feed was blocked and needed to be replaced. He refused to guarentee the work as the Turbo was 2nd hand and sure look at where we are now!!!! I have somebody else looking at it and will be interested to see what thier prognosis is.

Cheers

Sam

·
Registered
117 Posts
Anybody used this crowd in Barking, TurboRevs?
I have, been ripped off by them and would recommend you stay well clear of them.

I bought a K04Turbo off them which advertised for a TT. On opening the box, it wasn't even half the size of the one I took off.

Long story to get my money back. I even went to their showroom in Bolton only to find that it was a lockup on a trading estate run by Asians which sold computers.

Papal even got involved and ruled in my favour but by the time PayPal had made its decision, 4 weeks, I was on a 2 week holiday and as they only give you 5 working days to resolve any dispute, it meant nothing.

Steer clear of TurboRevs, these a gang of lying, in trustful *astards

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.