Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above, curious about paint colour match on silver tt (LY7W). Car is now 10 years old so I'm wondering if people have had a decent match by paint code alone or will i need it tinted???

·
Registered
16,961 Posts
Mine's silver , 10yrs old as well ,
i had my front bumper , bonnet and wings done and they had no problems blending it in :)

Mark

·
Registered
493 Posts
Silver is tough to blend, as the tone is affected by the hunidity of the air, I'm led to believe. Consequently, sprayers don't like it. Sure someone will be along to put me right, but that's my understanding.

·
Registered
326 Posts
rob1975 said:
thats the thing, im only doing the rear bumper and was hoping for a good match so i didnt have to blow into the rear wings.
Im going to be getting into the same thing (rear bump silver tt) here in a few months. I feel the same. Curious to see if we will need to blend further! wish it was black now :lol:

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
At 10 years, blending is the only solution. Sun's mad sure of that. A good paint shop should be able to do it. you'll never get by with just a bumper respray. my 2p.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I have just had a new rear bumper on my silver TT and will post some pics up asap, its a long story but with a BIG thanks to Derby Audi all has turnd out well in the end. basically It did need blending in a bit wich was somthing my insurance would not pay for, there was lots of other things that they would not pay for along the way. I will tell the whole story latter.

But all is well now and i have her back at long last :D thanks to the customer service of Derby Audi :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
You will have no problems with just the bumper, the bodyshop should have enough colours to pick the right one.

The thing with modern cars are the plastic will always look different to the metal panel adjacent, mazdas being the worse for this recently.

You just pick the best colour you can and 9/10 times you won't find the difference at all, if the bumper looks darker then it's the plastic against metal problem and just ask them to fix the colour (respray/rectify)

Like I say you should be fine aslong as the paintshop/bodyshop have a good reputation and people who know what they are doing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right, heres the thing, I'm painting it myself, have already repaired and primed up a spare bumper which i bought off ebay (£25, bargain) and im quite pleased with the results. I have my own paintbooth, all-be-it a bit rough and ready in our manufacturing factory but all painting there is industrial not automotive.
As per some of the posts on here was in Cardiff Audi last weekend and the colour match of new bumpers against cars left a little to be desired where plastic vs metal so i'm thinking what the hell.
I think I will get the paint supplies to chip the paint up rather than going by code alone and see what result I get. If all else fails i will flat it again and take it to a pro paintshop.
If it doesnt turn out a disaster I will be along with pics in a week or so!!!! Thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
139 Posts
As you said, Take the car along and then see how many shades of the silver there are and get the closest one to it. Some painters have real problems doing silver, I was always told to do a drop coat on last coat (hold gun further away) and I never really had many problems .

It will also make a difference with the lacquer you use as well. I take it you are using 2K? I have been using Mipa high solid at moment and get on well with that

Also if the paint shop have a couple of quality paint manufacturers they use go for the dearer, You will only need 1/4 litre. Some of the cheap paint is like piss

Alan

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice alan, was toying with a drop coat last to try and get it even with the metallic looking right. The LY7W does look like a fairly flat metallic, i'm hoping this will give me a decent chance. I'm told there are only 2 shades and mine def looks like the lighter one although even this looked a little dark on the colour card (although i think this is often the case?) Hence why I thought it may need to be tinted.
I have a 2K lacquer (industrial) which I was toying with using as its very durable but I think for the sake the cost I will check out the one you recommended.

Thanks again

Rob

·
Registered
139 Posts
You can buy 1 litre Mipa 2k high solid quite cheap. Think I have seen it on Ebay. Last summer I used a cheap laquer about £30 a gallon and was great. But in the winter I could not use it as it was to thin, Where as the Mipa as long as thinned right it flows nice and you can flat and polish to a glass finish.

If you need any advice or have trouble getting materials give me a shout as I can get some good prices at the moment.

Alan

·
Registered
189 Posts
A drop coat around the edges where it meets the quarter is perfect, you won't go wrong.

New colour where it is repaired and get lighter and lighter the further you get away.

The more basecoat you apply (layers) the darker it will get, but don't be afraid to lay it on really thin and give it 4 thin coats, better than 1/2 heavy coats and getting any runs.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks gally, will do, flatted primer today but only had 1500 w&d so it looks lovely but may need keying a bit now as its almost shiny!!!
Bought 1/4 base and i'm going to experiment in the week with different numbers of light coats on a test piece to try and get the colour match.
Will let you all know how I get on, but I confess, there will be no pics if its a disaster!!!!! :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.