Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Looking at buying some 40mm Apex springs as well as (for now) New front Dampers (One of them is shot)

Should I use OEM Dampers with the new springs or should I look at getting a better match for the Springs?

Cheers

·
Registered
590 Posts
If your going to be buying springs and shocks you might aswell get coilovers. Thats what id do anyway.
But I have apex -40mm springs on standard shocks and they seem ok.
Just a thought....

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
apparently if you put lowering springs on standard shocks they will quickly ruin them, I would buy some new dampers you can get a fairly decent set of 4 on ebay for around £200.Decent coil overs start at £600 and quickly go up to £2000, Don't be tempted by £205 set of coil overs on ebay as I have heard nothing but bad reviews.

cr4igj TT

·
Registered
258 Posts
I think in Garth's build thread he says he is happy with his apex springs with FK shocks. Seems like a cheap option and a good look.

A couple of people seem to have had issues with FK set-ups and some haven't.

·
Registered
14,496 Posts
cr4igj tt said:
apparently if you put lowering springs on standard shocks they will quickly ruin them, I would buy some new dampers you can get a fairly decent set of 4 on ebay for around £200.Decent coil overs start at £600 and quickly go up to £2000, Don't be tempted by £205 set of coil overs on ebay as I have heard nothing but bad reviews.

cr4igj TT
all those reviews from people who have never tired them , had cheap fk coilies for nearly two years and they were brilliant , but again ,i was after the look, not the handling ,which was quite good tbh :wink:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
With a 40mm drop you want to be running a shock with a shortened damper...

lots of options available, Fk hightec, bilstein b8's, koni sports shocks, spax etc etc

as a rule of thumb if you are lowing up to 30mm a standard piston shock will be ok, anything more and you really do need the shortened stuff to maintain ride quality etc.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
CrAkHaBiTT said:
I think in Garth's build thread he says he is happy with his apex springs with FK shocks. Seems like a cheap option and a good look.

A couple of people seem to have had issues with FK set-ups and some haven't.
That's right. I'm running fk hi-tech dampers with apex springs. I think it's a brilliant combination, much better than with OEM shocks, not hard but great damping. The handling was massively improved without a hard bouncy ride. I can't recommend them enough.
When you consider the price for the whole lot, it makes perfect sense :smile:

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
The reviews i've heard are from people that have had them fitted or know somebody that has had them, At the end of the day it's up to the individual but in my eyes you get what you pay for... a full set of springs and dampers for £205 or £2000 there has got to be a difference in quality !!!

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
cr4igj tt said:
The reviews i've heard are from people that have had them fitted or know somebody that has had them, At the end of the day it's up to the individual but in my eyes you get what you pay for... a full set of springs and dampers for £205 or £2000 there has got to be a difference in quality !!!
I've not seen a set of springs and dampers for £205. My dampers cost that without springs. Yes, they are cheaper than £2k coilovers and because of that you don't get any adjustment (which is a good thing for most people). You also don't get any stainless steel, but then you don't on OEM dampers either. Springs and shocks will always be much cheaper than coilovers as it's a simpler system. I would never get coilovers as in my experience, they are always far too hard (from the cheapest crap to bilstein's finest).
I do expect my dampers to need replacing earlier than some £2k coilovers granted, but then I reckon 8 sets of my dampers will last a lot longer than 1 set of coilovers for the same price and a much nicer ride ;)

·
Registered
5,336 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
out of the 2 posted i would sway towards the spaxs as they have adjustable damping, if this doesn't bother you then get the fk's as they are half the price :p

I would 100% change the shock top mounts and bearings as they are very cheap and will be coming off to change shocks and springs, get them from ecp with 25% discount cost about £20 from memory

Drop links i am not sure on but i am pretty sure garth will know the answer to that...

With the camber issue i would fit the new stuff wait till it settle and go from there, don't want to be spending £300 if not needed :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts