Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I finally mapped the car 1 moth ago (APR Stage 1 - 98 octane).

Sometimes I notice a torque/power dip at roughly the same spot: 3rd or 4th gear 3k rpm, after the dip in 5 seconds the power comes back...
I've put VCDS for errors, but no overboost recorded.

I'm thinking of using VCDS to record a wot in 2-5 gears and post back.
What channels would be useful please?
Thanks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Any other mods before the remap ?
Hi Delta,

No mods, just replaced some parts that are straight replacements,

1. fuel pump with a Bar-tek one: 1.8T 20V VW & Audi Upgrade Kraftstoffpumpe 600 PS BAR-TEK®
Engine runs much smoother now.

2. Oil pump, Bar-tek as well: 1.8T Ölpumpe BAR-TEK®
I didn't have any idea how old the oil pump was and just replaced it to be sure I keep my engine in good shape.

3. turbo, aftermarket produced by JP Group, identical in specs to original BorgWarner one (K04 without the temp senzor as for APX)

Trying to keep it as stock as possible, just APR Stage 1.

·
Premium Member
5,889 Posts
I would replace TIP for a oversized one badger5 or similar to make it easier for the turbo to pull in air, that may get rid of what sounds like a flat spot. i'm using a crystal so maybe wrong but that is what i would do.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would replace TIP for a oversized one badger5 or similar to make it easier for the turbo to pull in air, that may get rid of what sounds like a flat spot. i'm using a crystal so maybe wrong but that is what i would do.
Ok, was thinking actually to "wak" the air box first (drill it), what do you think? Waks Wide Web
The tip... I replaced too eagerly with a new stock one unfortunately when I got the car, as the one it had was cracked...pains me to spend another 200 EUR for now...

But for VCDS, what do you think I should monitor?

·
Registered
9,934 Posts
If APR mapped it and it doesn't work, speak to them?

Do you occasionally get the EPC light illuminated ? (its a MAF threshold exceeded)

did you change all those parts after the generic APR map?

for a log just do a foot flat run in 3rd gear 1500->6500(ish) rpm on a local safe straight flat road - so you can re-visit the same stretch of road and compare. ideally get visualme7logger (KKL Lead ) installed, VCDS is utter garbage at logging.

I would log
  • time
  • rpm
  • desired AFR <-- only valuable on a wideband BAM
  • actual AFR <-- only valuable on a wideband BAM
  • desired boost
  • actual boost
  • ignition retard 1-4
  • MAF
  • IAT
  • EGT <-- wont exist on an APX
  • LOAD (there's a few of them)
  • Overall Timing
  • wastegate duty cycle
  • throttle plate angle

here's an example of an me7logger file - VCDS only logs a few things and they are not really concurrent - like I said rubbish

Colorfulness Product Rectangle Azure Font

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, was thinking actually to "wak" the air box first (drill it), what do you think? Waks Wide Web
The tip... I replaced too eagerly with a new stock one unfortunately when I got the car, as the one it had was cracked...pains me to spend another 200 EUR for now...

But for VCDS, what do you think I should monitor?
Many people frown on these but i have one fitted and it works well £50 Car Air Intake Pipe Kit Silicone Car Air For TT 1.8T mit 225PS Air Intake Hose | eBay
Hi Dave,

thanks, I didn't know these even existed, what is it people frown on them for?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If APR mapped it and it doesn't work, speak to them?

Do you occasionally get the EPC light illuminated ? (its a MAF threshold exceeded)

did you change all those parts after the generic APR map?

for a log just do a foot flat run in 3rd gear 1500->6500(ish) rpm on a local safe straight flat road - so you can re-visit the same stretch of road and compare. ideally get visualme7logger (KKL Lead ) installed, VCDS is utter garbage at logging.

I would log
  • time
  • rpm
  • desired AFR <-- only valuable on a wideband BAM
  • actual AFR <-- only valuable on a wideband BAM
  • desired boost
  • actual boost
  • ignition retard 1-4
  • MAF
  • IAT
  • EGT <-- wont exist on an APX
  • LOAD (there's a few of them)
  • Overall Timing
  • wastegate duty cycle
  • throttle plate angle

here's an example of an me7logger file - VCDS only logs a few things and they are not really concurrent - like I said rubbish

View attachment 480744
Hi Stuart,

Thanks, I didn't use this software before, it's cool if it logs all these at the same time, I will do a run with it next weekend and post back.

As for going back to APR, yea definitely will, but I want to understand what's happening myself (with your help hopefully), I don't exactly want to go there without something to point to. They are not a big shop, always crowded, and not exactly eager to work on an older car, too much headaches for them.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Hi Dave,

thanks, I didn't know these even existed, what is it people frown on them for?
Because cheap and from China, but they have never tried them.
I'm getting a MAF calculated 280bhp with it and lots of other mods. Which is more than you would expect for the mods done, so definately works better than the standard size item

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Because cheap and from China, but they have never tried them.
I'm getting a MAF calculated 280bhp with it and lots of other mods. Which is more than you would expect for the mods done, so definately works better than the standard size item
Ok, thanks for the idea, being metal I kinda like it, it ain't going to collapse and restrict flow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts