Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv been reading up on the subject and now I'm after some clarification from someone who has fitted one and knows the differences. Am I correct in saying that this is the early APX TIP for the 1999 APX engine?!

Then in 2000 the later APX engine switched over to the same TIP as the BAM engine, and as a result the BAM tip will fit fine on the later APX engine with our having to relocate any hoses or pipe work?!

In this thread here >>> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=273320 <<< people seem to be saying you can fit a BAM tip to the 2000 onwards APX engine with no problems! Mine looks to be like the BAM tip...same shape!
Jack

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
JAMASON WE SHALL GET NEW TIPS FITTED TO OUR TT'S!!! mines the 2000 too, so what your saying is, if i go and buy a badger5 3" TIP for the BAM, its going to go on mine?

shall i take your word for it and make my purchase? or shall i wait for a big boy to come and piss on our camp fires? :lol:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charlesuk said:
JAMASON WE SHALL GET NEW TIPS FITTED TO OUR TT'S!!! mines the 2000 too, so what your saying is, if i go and buy a badger5 3" TIP for the BAM, its going to go on mine?

shall i take your word for it and make my purchase? or shall i wait for a big boy to come and piss on our camp fires? :lol:
I want a bigger boy to come and explain it to me! From what iv seen, read about and been told there are two TIPs for the APX, the old, long and bendy one in picture one, and then the BAM style one in picture two. And the BAM style one is pretty much identical apparently...so you should be able to Shove a BAM one on with no modding on the later 2000 APX engine...I just want some one to say that what iv read is correct (resulting in me buying a 3" badger5 TIP!) or that I'm very much mistaken and that it will need modifications to fit or all APX engines have the same stupid long TIP. It does say in the thread link I posted that people have fitte BAM ones to late 2000 APX engines with no modifications or extra pipes, straight swaps. I think a call to Forge might be on the cards here...just I don't have the money to buy one now so would feel bad getting their help and then not actually ordering one! :?
Jack

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So has anyone actually done this?! Sure there must be a member who has experience and that could tell me yes or no?! And if info need extra hosing what exactly it is I need to make it fit. Being told "I need extra hose and clips..." isn't very helpful, being given the details of what hose and clips and why I need them is what I'm after!
Jack

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nilrem said:
I have a 2000 APX and asked badger bill the same question.

His reply was that the BAM 3" TIP would fit but would next around £20 of extras to make it fit.

Hth
It's these £20 of extras...what are they?! I can't buy them if I don't know what they are or what I need them for?! Hah.
Jack

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi..
I had an APX in last week for remap.. and its TIP was like a BAM install so I am well confused now.
maybe pre modded by an earlier owner perhaps?

I thought most like the APX were the S shaped jobbies which have n75 on the front of the TIP and the oil breather hockey puk adjacent to the dv.. Early S3's, non esp ones have the S shaped TIPs, so need a few extra bits to convert to the big bore later style TIPs..

If it looks straight its the BAM type.. and the big bore TIPs fit straight on.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
HELLO BADGER! ok so this could be some progress, mine is the exact same as this...

not like this "reinforced" one

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I was swapping the upper boost hose today I had the airbox appart to clean the filter out. Mine looks like one of the S shaped ones...what do you think from this pictur...lools like the Gay bendy s shaped one to me!

You can see the jubilee clip in the left corner of the picture where it fastens to the airbox, if you follow it down, it seems to go down and then bends to the right in the picture an then down to the turbo. So to Fit your badger5 one I need all that extra stuff to get it on won't I?! Any ideas about cost and if you can supply it all in a kit?!
Jack

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
jack, does yours look like mine from the top, like flat rubber rather than flat rubber with reinforcement lines ?

·
Registered
667 Posts
yea, you will need the couple of extra bits to extend to the n75 and hockey puk breather pipe..
16-19mm reducer and joiner to hockey puk thing, and joiner and 8mm silicon for n75.. nothing major.

beware however, that the rocker cover breather pipe may well be very "saggy and soft" - aka rotten, so when manipulating it about to its new position it may not survive.. These pipes seem to rot on pretty much every 1.8t i see these days.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Charlesuk said:
HELLO BADGER! ok so this could be some progress, mine is the exact same as this...

not like this "reinforced" one

1st one is earlier S shaped one with n75 at the front face
2nd one N75 at rear closest to bulkhead is later style one

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
bummer, i need a gay s shape....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We are in the same boat Charles, we both need the LAME S bend ones, unless Badger5 can provide a kit that does the same job for the 3" TIP. That way we can go 3"

My engine bay!

I might just bite the bullet when I have the money and buy this from Tweeks >> http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspor ... e-1-hose-2 << direct fit (it is the APX one, it gave me an option for APX or BAM), looks the tits and would help with the failed collapsing of the standard TIP! What do you think?!
Jack

·
Registered
667 Posts
JAMason said:
We are in the same boat Charles, we both need the LAME S bend ones, unless Badger5 can provide a kit that does the same job for the 3" TIP. That way we can go 3"

My engine bay!

I might just bite the bullet when I have the money and buy this from Tweeks >> http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspor ... e-1-hose-2 << direct fit (it is the APX one, it gave me an option for APX or BAM), looks the tits and would help with the failed collapsing of the standard TIP! What do you think?!
Jack
from your picture it looks oily round the oil breather pipes... so check your pcv pipes for rotting/splits if I were you
you can covert your pipes to enable the much higher performance 80mm TIPs to be fitted with minimal work. Thats how the tips get fitted to your style setups. I would covert and get the big bore tip personally.. the S shaped others will not flow as well.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The whole bay is covered in oil! My brother wasn't the cleanest guy when he use to work on it in his ownership! The hose isn't split, I did check yesterday after you mentioned the rotting issue. Right then, I can now see how it's done it should be easier to sort. I can buy replacment hoses for the BAM set up and relocate everything as standard then slap a BAM tip in!
Nice one!
Jack

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Right so, lets buy 3" tips, then just relocate everything?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts