Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[smiley=drummer.gif] Well after a busy drive from down south this morning i am sat in TTS drinking coffee, waiting for the magic to begin. :)
Looking forward to the drive home.. [smiley=sweetheart.gif] .

Damien.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Nice Damien.
I'm sure you won't bother to bore us with your findings and first impressions of the coilies. Will you! I mean it's not like your really interested in the whole suspension thang.
BUT I Bet you take the long way home.. :p

Look forward to hearing

Brian

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Guys.....And Brian will try not to go into to much detail on my findings....... :p maybe i will do a sequence of joyful noise sounds....to describe my joy. :D

Damien.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
TTSPORT666 said:
Cheers Guys.....And Brian will try not to go into to much detail on my findings....... :p maybe i will do a sequence of joyful noise sounds....to describe my joy. :D

Damien.
Ha, yea Damien. But no er dubious, arousal **excitement** sounds please, this is a public forum :lol:

Actually, im looking forward to your findings with some interest ( all part of the personal TT master-plan don't you know). What with all that Neil has done to his V6 I'm getting up a neat to/do list here. Just need to cultivate the bosses approval.
Bank robbery in final planning stages..

Brian

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Chaps :) Just arrived home after my blast back from TTs. Had a great day. Have to be cheesy now and say what a great experience i had at TTS. Personal service and attention, a window of the workshop, internet and a cup of coffie at will. :) What more could a guy want.... Big thanks to the guys Vincent and Shaun for his sterling work on my car, and Dave... and for helping me to the car with the heavy box of old springs and dampers... :)

Right onto my findings the pss9's were set to dial number 6 front and rear. And set 1cm lower than oem front and 1.5 on the rear.
The b14's come preset on dial 5, so i deliberately went a bit harder, as i can always back off the stiffness if needs be. So here is my honest opinion after jumping in my car....on a mixture of road surfaces on my journey back to sussex....Using my oem qs suspension as a comparison basis.

I actually find the car more neutral, not as grippy and grabby on twisty bends and chicanes. It used to dart and manoevre a lot quicker in directional changes. I have slightly less steering feel. Remember this could be due to the stiffer setup on dial 6, so don't take this report as gospel until i experiment with softer settings. Also preference in slightly more camber can help.

What was clear as a bell was the way the new coilovers rode the bumps....no fuss just managed bumps and undulations with ease and sophistication, on the country roads around sussex. Which definitely made the car more stable at speed.

I did notice on hard cornering the esp kicks in a hell of a lot? So actually switched this off as it was spoiling my enjoyment.

As i thought ,there is a bigger improvement going to H&R arb's and defcons, than the jump to bilstein coilovers. I am looking forward to trying out different settings, and letting the springs settle a bit. I will definitely be going for a bit softer setting on the front to gain a tad more steering feel. This is the brilliant thing about having adjustable coilovers, and am so glad i opted and held out for the pss9's over the b14's so i can fine tune my chassis to how i like it. :p

Damien.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Damien, I have been waiting for your drive home report all day, but now I'm a little bewildered...

I know you were not expecting it to be a huge leap forward like the defcons and arb's, but I was expecting more of a step forward than this suggests. :?

Let's hope softening the front helps?

Good to get an honest opinion, but a little deflating by the sound of it :(

·
Registered
31,647 Posts
I would have everything set to hard and back off from there.

Without a doubt the biggest change you feel first drive is uprated ARBs.

Remember shocks are just what they state on the tin shock arbsorbers they wont turn you or your car into an overnight Senna :)

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi guys

No i am not blown away at all at the moment. I just hope i can find a better set up by adjusting a bit. I've been out tonight adjusting the fronts. Its like the car has lost its edge a bit? As i said neutral? Not as sharp:? The only real gain being control over bumpy back roads. Will give it some time guys. I'm a bit confused at the moment? Will see what tomorrow brings with the new front damper setting.

Damien.

·
Registered
31,647 Posts
TTSPORT666 said:
Hi guys

No i am not blown away at all at the moment. I just hope i can find a better set up by adjusting a bit. I've been out tonight adjusting the fronts. Its like the car has lost its edge a bit? As i said neutral? Not as sharp:? The only real gain being control over bumpy back roads. Will give it some time guys. I'm a bit confused at the moment? Will see what tomorrow brings with the new front damper setting.

Damien.
:( Oh mate............ Like I said (I think) start off at the hardest setting and work backwards

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks James... found setting 6 all round on the dial a bit hard for day to day back country road driving. I know b14's are set to 5 all round so 6 being a bit harder. I couldn't imagine going any stiffer than 6 for road use? :? I have set the fronts to 4 so will see how that is.

Damien.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks John. Well on the up side i have infinite adjustment possibilities... I'm looking forward to the springs settling a bit as the front seems to sit a bit high at the moment.

Damien.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts