Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some RNS-E owners who would like to help out with testing of a new software product that I will be launching soon. The software will allow you to add custom Points of Interest (POI) to the supplied Audi navigation DVD using your Windows PC. I think this is a feature that will be very useful for a lot of RNS-E users, especially for adding safety camera locations and the like.

You can see some screen shots of the system in action at the NavPOInt website. :D

A few quick points about the way the software works:
1. There are NO software modifications required to the nav unit itself - ONLY the data on the DVD is modified. This means you can revert to your original DVD at any point and there is absolutely no risk of damage to the RNS-E unit itself.
2. Safety camera locations are visual only (unfortunately the RNS-E does not support audible warnings for POI).
3. The simple to use PC software allows you to author a new DVD from an original Audi disk. All the other contents of the disk are transferred to the new one, but with the addition of your custom POI.
4. You will need to subscribe separately to a safety camera database (or already have a subscription) in order to be able to add camera locations.
5. PC system requirements are a Windows PC (XP, Vista, W7) with ability to burn DVD DL (Dual Layer) disks.

The software to do this isn't quite fully "production ready" yet, but I have asked Jae's permission (and he kindly agreed) if I could post here and ask for some beta testers.

So, in order to fully test the software prior to launch, I would like owners who can test the following:
1. Pre-2009 Navigation DVDs
2. Pre-2010 RNS-E units (i.e. the old ones with low-res screen and without SDHC support)
3. Users resident elsewhere in Europe (i.e. outside UK)
4. Users resident in countries other than Europe with non-European nav disks (e.g. US, Australia, etc)

If you would like to enrol in the test program then please send me a PM telling me a little about yourself (software/testing experience etc), roughly where you are located, and which of the above you would be able to test.
Priority will be given to those who best fulfil the above criteria, so please do not be offended if you are not accepted.

I look forward to your PMs and to being able to start some beta testing very shortly. 8)

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
I'd be up for it, but i have a 2010 unit.
If the changes are based on the DVD software why would that preclude the newer units?

Are you planning a >2010 version?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Sorry but POI without voice alert is next to useless and the biggest limitation of the RNS-E.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Toshiba said:
I'd be up for it, but I have a 2010 unit.
If the changes are based on the DVD software why would that preclude the newer units?
It doesn't - However I don't really need any MY10 testers, as I have a 2010 unit myself!
All of the screen shots on the site were taken on my MY10 unit - So I know that works :)

Sorry about the lack of audible alerts Senator. :(

·
Registered
933 Posts
Senator said:
Sorry but POI without voice alert is next to useless and the biggest limitation of the RNS-E.
It's not useless - I recently beta tested the system when I went over to England to pick up my new TT and drove about 1400 miles in less than a week, around London, Cornwall and up to Holyhead for the Ferry back to Ireland - all on roads I'd never been on before. I've no doubt that I would have got caught out a couple of times by so-called 'safety' cameras had I not had access to the camera POI info. Some very sneaky camera positions, such as on uphill stretches of road where it was double lane in the uphill direction.

Obviously, audible alert would be better but it's still very handy to be able to make a quick glance down at the Nav plus screen and get warning of upcoming revenue generators, especially when you have no idea whatsoever of camera locations. Works best in 3D view I found, if you zoom out a bit (MY >2010 only for the 3D view).

A bonus of using a modified maps disc is that it is near impossible to detect - for thieves of either kind (criminal or ones with badges). No need to worry about detatching units and wiping sucker marks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
At Last. There was a more protracted way of doing this for the BMW Nav: a Step by step manual process
I'm assuming, in simple terms, the software extracts the DVD crowbars in the POI after you have downloaded them and then re burns the disk? a similar process to the one involved with BMW nav but all in one shiny box with a OK button on it :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have downloaded the Trial Version of the Navpoint from the site site for my MY2011 TT
Nothing I have tried 4 dvd burners I have even bought a new Stand alone LG DVD burner
I have tried about 8 makes of DVD+R DL discs Verbatim Memmorex Maplins own Sony Maxel to list a few
yes I have set the Book type to DOS and the Bit setting
I have used different Software the 2 free ones and Nero and another couple on my systems
I have used 4 different PCs 3 laptops and a Desktop the only thing they all have windows 7
every disc I have made LOOKS like the original when viewed on PC but the RNSE says it is an UPDATE DISC or says NO disc is inserted
There MUST BE copy protection on the MY2011 RNSE or DATA disc
so far without buying the Navpoint just using Trial I have spent arround £200 new burner and disc packs at £20 to £30 a pack
My balckberry runs a prog called Road Pilot with no probs just you dont hear the alerts with Media on I player or SD cards

·
Registered
22 Posts
Another Burner Lite On and more discs still NO Navpoint working still get the message Update cd inserted

But I wonder if this is a reason
MY 2011 Audi TT Roadster Sline SE Bose BT Low MMI
SW 200
HW 05
MAP 8PO 919 884 AT

IS this system TOO NEW for the Navpoint or do I keep buying burners and discs ????????????????????

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
cat said:
Another Burner Lite On and more discs still NO Navpoint working still get the message Update cd inserted
But I wonder if this is a reason
MY 2011 Audi TT Roadster Sline SE Bose BT Low MMI
SW 200
HW 05
MAP 8PO 919 884 AT
IS this system TOO NEW for the Navpoint or do I keep buying burners and discs ????????????????????
Perhaps ??
Mine is a new 2010 rnse with same SW and HW but map AN and I cant do a disc either.

To the OP - is this the sort of feedback you wanted?

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
pcbbc said:
Toshiba said:
I'd be up for it, but I have a 2010 unit.
It doesn't - However I don't really need any MY10 testers, as I have a 2010 unit myself!
All of the screen shots on the site were taken on my MY10 unit - So I know that works :)

Sorry about the lack of audible alerts Senator. :(
so tell us more about which unit you have SW, HW and map and in addition what did you use to get a successful copy?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.