Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used TomTom GO on my iPhone for as long as I remember and never bought/used a built in navigation system.

I really like TomTom GO and wondering whether I will use the navigation system in my new car or use TomTom through Apple CarPlay.

Does the Audi navigation system do everything that TomTom Go does and any pros and cons?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am a staunch supporter for car built in navigations. Simply because I hate having my dash/windshield ruined by gps device or phone holder…like some uber driver.
That being said there is no denying that dedicated gps or even Google maps/tom tom app on your phone is more accurate.
Depending on your country the maps range from nicely detailed to outright minimalistic.
I had my Audi nav tell me to turn right once where there was no road.
It doesnt give you live traffic updates unless you have internet data.
Struggles to find exact numbers of streets. But in general will get you where you need to go.
Also the benefit of TomTom and etc..is map updates.
Audi does this bi yearly. And I question what exactly they “update” as there are no update logs. You pay 250chf to maybe not even have your country updated.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
One more in favour of built in NAV. But then I drive mostly on my own and so no one else to operate the NAV on a phone (if needed). I don’t think I’d want to attempt that without AA/CP to assist.

One other benefit of built in NAV is it has direct access to vehicle sensors to measure wheel rotation etc. A major benefit when your in some urban canyon and neither the phone nor car can get a reliable GPS fix. The car knows where it is, the phone less so.

I’ve had my friends navigate with phones for me in urban environments and on more than one occasion there’s been a “turn left” followed by, “err, sorry, not here, the GPS thinks we’re a street behind”.

They”ve got better by using WiFi geolocate and inertial sensors. Still I like my built in NAV and in general it’s more than adequate to get me where I’m going. Plus you have a bigger screen right in front of you, and you can interact smoothly with the MFSW controls. Sure you can do that with CarPlay/AndroidAuto, but it’s a smaller window in the middle of the VC and somehow doesn’t feel as smooth.

I”d agree with the other comments on mapping update accuracy and traffic if you don’t pay for the live updates. As with everything, depends on your priorities.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Audi does this bi yearly. And I question what exactly they “update” as there are no update logs. You pay 250chf to maybe not even have your country updated.
Much easier, and cheaper, to get you car setup so you can download the same maps most other VAG marques get for free from the VW website ;)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
the built-in sat nav is much better than any Tomtom or Garmin device in terms of visibility and integration in the dashboard, but to be at the same level in terms of functionality, in my opinion you need to have (regularly) updated maps, connect subscription (real time traffic info with dynamic navigation, safety warnings etc), and speed camera database; in this configuration I would never consider to use an external GPS. Additionally, the destinations sending via myaudi is really quick and easy

·
Registered
53 Posts
Much easier, and cheaper, to get you car setup so you can download the same maps most other VAG marques get for free from the VW website ;)
True! Although I was speaking strictly from “doing it by the books” point of view. Also when I learned 3 years ago that my friend in his basic Golf 7 get free updates while Audi wants you to pay…I flipped!🤣

·
Registered
TT 2.0 TFSI (FWD, EA888, CESA)
6 Posts
can always get those chinese android systems like erisin brand. its like an android phone in your dash, super useful and cheap!

·
Registered
53 Posts
i wouldnt risk it on a mk3 to be honest lol. they look great in the mk2.
Well this is a MK3 subforum you just stumbled upon so the advice is not really applicable here :D.

Anyways, I am very much against these aftermarket displays because I am a "stock OEM purist". I had an A4 with those classic red screens. Never was tempted to change it. :D

Issue with these chinese things is the apparent lack of product support (drivers, firmware and updates). I took some time to look through that brand you suggested. Most have "decent" processors however, the strongest device had "only" 4gigs of RAM. Which is fine on IOS systems, but android is a lot more "all over the place" in terms of program cache and RAM usage.

I am genuinely interested.
How are animations on yours? Is the scroll experience and menu transition smooth? I have a friend who installed one of these in his old 1 Gen Tuareg, looked decent but started lagging the moment you get used to the menus and start pressing key and commands too fast.

·
Registered
TT 2.0 TFSI (FWD, EA888, CESA)
6 Posts
Well this is a MK3 subforum you just stumbled upon so the advice is not really applicable here :D.

Anyways, I am very much against these aftermarket displays because I am a "stock OEM purist". I had an A4 with those classic red screens. Never was tempted to change it. :D

Issue with these chinese things is the apparent lack of product support (drivers, firmware and updates). I took some time to look through that brand you suggested. Most have "decent" processors however, the strongest device had "only" 4gigs of RAM. Which is fine on IOS systems, but android is a lot more "all over the place" in terms of program cache and RAM usage.

I am genuinely interested.
How are animations on yours? Is the scroll experience and menu transition smooth? I have a friend who installed one of these in his old 1 Gen Tuareg, looked decent but started lagging the moment you get used to the menus and start pressing key and commands too fast.
firstly, oops, sorry i didn't even realise its the mk3 forum. my bad. new here. secondly, i agree these android systems do tend to get sluggish when doing too much, that being said i havent experienced any "annoying lags" when using the system. the scroll and transitions seem to be quite smooth but that was without heavy loads operating, everything seems to work quite well, but i wouldnt put this on a new model such as yours. i would keep it standard until a newer model comes out lol. i had the basic cd player, and ordered the OEM look android system from the same company but they had no stock and sent me this slightly more expensive model with no extra cost (not that they didn't try ask for more money). this system is feature rich and it lets me download most apps (waze being the one i wanted), i havent tried the apple carplay functions because it only works with usb connection, and it has 4 usb ports but all in the back <sigh>. i couldnt feed the usb cable out as i probably have to remove the glove box, which i may do later. the nav gps and wifi antennae are just sitting behind the system atm, but they sem to function ok somehow. i only installed it a few days ago and need to do further testing, but i managed to download all my music through google drive which kinda defeated my needs for the usb cable now. ive also downloaded multiple music and radio apps which work fine with the phone hotspot, and since my phone is always with me im ok with that. the 4gb ram seems to be doing ok when running one app at a time, i have yet to run multiple apps to see how much it can take. in the past ive had android systems and they were really laggy, this seems to be off to a good start so far. all the steering functions work by default including phone functions via bluetooth connection with full phonebook access etc. only issue im facing so far is that my music files cant be accessed by the default player (which i think detects usb devices only) so i downloaded other media players such as VLC and they work fine through those apps, but i cant skip tracks using the steering controls or the physical buttons for some reason. there are on screen buttons that are nice and big which work fine, so i can live with that for now. the steering buttons work fine with the default player apps for cd/dvd as ive tested it. the volume always works as it controls the main android volume, and the phone function always works too. i need to run waze and mess around with music to see if lag is a real issue, i'll keep you posted when i do. for now i think your OEM system is best, there are octacore android systems with 6GB or 8GB on ebay, but they come from belgium and i dont want to go through an international returns if i dont like it. the brand name is Junsun or something (chinese make obviously), they dont have the best reviews as they may be fairly new. I know Erisin brand has been around a few years so im sure they've had enough complaints to fine tune their systems lol. i'll try make a little video and post it for you to see when i get a chance. overall, its defo better than the OEM system i had imo.

Also i managed to update it through wifi hotspot, the file was 1.6GB so im thinking there must be some level of support, i dont know what changed though since i updated it immediately.

·
Registered
53 Posts
OP sorry for de-railing the thread maybe. I guess the best you can take from all of this is ...use Audi nav since you already got robbed by Audi by paying 2500eur for it (if I remember the price correctly). Every time I use it I feel like I chipped a bit of that 2500EUR debt that I had. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts