Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just wondering if you could give me some advice.

My TT was recovered to an Audi repair centre on Thursday after continuously cutting out on me. It turns out, water has been leaking into the boot of the car as a drainage hose has been dislodged and this has caused corrosion to the ECU in the boot. Audi placed the blame on the company who fitted my parking sensors back in February, who went to inspect the car today and have denied that it is their fault. Their reasoning is that the corrosion is so heavy that there is no way it could have happened in such a short space of time. The parking sensor representative asked the man at Audi whether any warranty work had been carried out on the car to which he replied no. After doing their own research it has been found that there was warranty work carried out in Jan 2010 to none other than the drain hoses!

It seems like Audi have sent me on a wild goose chase in order to shift the blame onto someone else for their shoddy workmanship in 2010 (I only purchased the car in Feb so I wasn't aware of this). What I really want to know is whether Audi are liable to pay for the repair as it was clearly their work that caused the problem in the first place. The car is out of its warranty now but do you think this matters?

Please excuse the long post, any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
463 Posts
I had a similar issue with an Audi Dealer hence i do not use them ever again. Dont forget that it is their bussiness to make money, just wish that they would play fair.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, it's my first Audi and was so excited to get it. Now they have left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth :? I've been without my car for nearly a week now because no repair work could be done until the parking sensor company came out to inspect it, now it turns out it had nothing to do with them at all and I've got to go through the whole process of getting Audi to accept liability....

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
H0601 said:
I know, it's my first Audi and was so excited to get it. Now they have left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth :? I've been without my car for nearly a week now because no repair work could be done until the parking sensor company came out to inspect it, now it turns out it had nothing to do with them at all and I've got to go through the whole process of getting Audi to accept liability....
Get onto Audi UK Customer Services and get the ball rolling asap - 0800 699888.

I've had to complain to them a couple of times in the past and found them excellent. Tell them the problem and they'll then deal with the stealership on your behalf.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Contact Audi Customer Services UK and explain the full circumstances to them. Hopefully they'll kick the dealership up the arse and tell them to get on with it.

There's a link here to a pro forma complaint form, but you may do better in the first instance by ringing them and getting someone's name.

https://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/conta ... -form.html

Good luck - they're usually pretty helpful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,

I'll get on to them first thing in the morning. Hopefully they will be a bit more helpful. Sods law, its the first bit of decent weather we have had in ages where I could have put the top down and its stuck in an Audi garage [smiley=bigcry.gif]

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have found Customer services to be bob on!

they can swing some might big led at the dealerships if you have and issue and you are in the right!

I had an issue a few years back were the dealer ship delivered the car with the wrong interior and tried to say i had specified that interior. Audi customers services sorted the whole thing and rang me back 2 days after the initial contact to say a new interior had been ordered and the car would be ready by the end of that week.

I was really impressed.

Luckily my salesman moved to another dealership and I followed him there as it was not him causing the issue.

Good look and make sure you stand your ground with this. Present the facts and stand by them.

8)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Audi UK are the way to go. I had a corrosion problem with my A3 at the time and the local garage was not so helpful. Contacted Audi UK and within a short time took care of things fo me.
Best of luck.
One thing if phoning note down the times, dates and who you spoke to incase need in future to followup. Also be persistant but polite.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just as an update, I spoke to a helpful man at customer services on Tuesday who referred the case to someone more 'senior' who has been less than helpful. I was told he would investigate the matter and get back to me within 24 hours... 24 hours later I rang him and he had gone home. I rang him again today and he said he needed to investigate whether Audi were at fault (which he should have done already) and that he would get back to me by next TUESDAY!!

1. Surely it is a matter of common sense that as warranty work was carried out on the drainage pipes previously, that it must be the the most likely cause of the damage now.

2. Why would it take you another 5 days to find that out!?

He also said that as the car is now out of warranty it would be a case of a good will gesture if they were to pay out. But he also said that as only purchased the car in February, they don't know whether I am a loyal customer yet and so a good will payment cannot be guaranteed :evil: Why would I want to be a loyal customer to Audi now!? [smiley=argue.gif]

I seriously hope common sense will prevail and that they will pay out. It just getting extremely frustrating now.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Audi main dealers can be dreadful at sorting problems out. most are terrible. I've heard so many reports from people I know with audi's and the dealerships they use that its a widespread problem. I wont be buying audi again, and I'm on my 3rd audi. it doesnt seem to matter if you are a (stupidly) loyal customer, they still shaft you!

unfortunately, in my experience, Audi CS are useless too. I had to deal with them and they were rubbish, this was only a few wks after I bought a car from audi!

did you buy the car from audi as an approved used car? it should have 12 months warranty with it. Good luck, hope it gets sorted.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Having just read this I have to say it stinks, after Audi saw they did that work they should do the work for you imo as good will.

Even now if they do the work from your pov it still stinks. GL hope they see since and you get it done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No unfortunately it wasn't approved. It was originally a company car for a female employee of Lloyds TSB and I bought it through their car sales division (http://www.blackhorsecarsales.co.uk) It had next to no mileage on it and was in mint condition so I thought I was on to a winner until all this happened. Supposed that's the risk you take when you don't go with Audi approved. :roll:

Couldn't agree more Nyxx. Never had such poor customer service, and they are using every trick in the book to deny liability. If they don't pay out I'm seriously thinking about taking them to small claims court for poor workmanship, just for the principal of it really because they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it not to mention it's going to cost me an arm and a leg to get fixed.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Hmmmm.

I'm really sorry to hear you've had issues with your car.

I'm not sure you've got much option other than to be nice and hope they do something on goodwill.

Had you been the original owner then you could have made a fuss about the fact that the car should last longer than the warranty and how Audi's warranty is in addition to the legal rights conferred on you by EU and UK legislation on consumer goods.

However, you are the buyer of a used car, which may not even have had a 3-year warranty (Audi lease cars only have a 2-year warranty) and there's a defect with it. Your best bet might be to go back to Black Horse Car Sales as they may have some liability under the sale of goods act (but don't hold your breath).

Small claims could be a way forward, but you'd not be 100% certain of a win as the onus would be on you to prove all sorts of things.

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
Mmmm, makes no sense. is there any more to the story?

The way the warranty procedure works its in the interest of the dealer to agree to it (they get paid T&M) on the work.
Claims are submitted by the dealers claims dept to AUK, who either AGREE or DISAGREE with the assessment of the dealer. For a dealer not to submit a claim is like turning down work, so they must be either daft, or sure they wont get it agreed/paid for by AUK.

I kinda see the point that its a used car out of warranty, but i see your point too that must have happened a while ago - I'm not sure how long it takes to corrode these things, but id guess only a few weeks/months given the weather we've had this "summer". Out of interest "when" was the sensors fitted?
Where was the car serviced and why wasn't it picked up by them before it became an issue or at the point of sale?
I'd also go back to the company that sold you the car and say they should be paying for it or at least part of it as IYO it was sold with the defect in place. I also foresee issues that it taken the condition 6months to happen - did you not notice the leak i guess will be the question you get back with implied so its as much your fault then.

I'd guess depending on Audi's mood you might get 50%, but it all depends.
AUK claims have always been spot on with me, but i have spent a few £s with them and I'm sure that (rightly or wrongly) influences things.

I honestly dont believe the dealer is trying to con you, it makes no sense - but who knows.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Toshiba said:
Out of interest "when" was the sensors fitted?
Where was the car serviced and why wasn't it picked up by them before it became an issue or at the point of sale?
I'd also go back to the company that sold you the car and say they should be paying for it or at least part of it as IYO it was sold with the defect in place.
The sensors were fitted in February just after I got the car but to be honest, I think that's a bit of a diversion tactic from Audi. It just seems like far too much of a coincidence that work was carried out on the drainage pipes under warranty and its the drainage pipes that have caused the problem. Sure, coincidences can happen but that just seems odd to me. The car has a full Audi service history but I don't think that sort of thing would have been picked up on until the parts had corroded to the extent that it caused a problem. I only knew there was a problem when the warning light came on and it cut out on me. One of Audi's points was that the damage probably would have happened sooner had the work not been carried out correctly 2 years ago but that is all circumstantial surely. The car is 4 years old, has done an average of 5000 miles a year so there's nothing to say that the previous owner didn't keep it in a garage and only drove it in the summer when it was sunny being a convertible. Now it is kept on a driveway and it has rained a lot = the damage begins.

Toshiba said:
For a dealer not to submit a claim is like turning down work, so they must be either daft, or sure they wont get it agreed/paid for by AUK.
I did think this as well. But I suppose they will be getting paid either way because I want my car back, and I'm sure they would much prefer me to pay for it out of my own pocket than Audi's. :evil:

Nyxx said:
H0601 said:
After doing their own research it has been found that there was warranty work carried out in Jan 2010 to none other than the drain hoses!
All comes down to this and it points to Audi not doing the repair right.
Agreed

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
Dealers are not part of Audi - they are all independent, so its cash either way to them.
I have to admit, im with the dealer, it smells like the time frame of the parking sensors to me.

But good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.