Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a 2003 Audi TT 3.2 80k miles, I had an EML light come up with no noticeable change to the car, so I took it to Audi to have it checked. They got back to me saying the timing chain has stretched and the repair would cost just under 6k, I didn't go through with the repair. Upon picking the car up from them, the car ran like a bag of nails. I explained to them how the car ran perfectly fine before with the EML light on, but they told me to just repair the car. The car barely started, but I was able to get the car home and I noticed when the car had been driven for a little while and up to temp the car ran like it had no problems. I had the EML checked myself with two codes shown in the picture. I replaced the camshaft position sensor with no luck. Any advice would be great, thanks.

Attached a YouTube link with the car running:

Attachments

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,091 Posts
Hi, Sounds really rough, you need to get chain wear checked with VCDS. Plenty of info.
If chains are worn. £6k is ridiculous, other than Audi £2k max,
Hoggy :)

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,091 Posts
Hi, re your PM, it does appear OBD Eleven will read chain wear.
We will soon be informed if the info is incorrect
Hoggy. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brilliant, I will get my hands on one of these soon and report back on what I find. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Brilliant, I will get my hands on one of these soon and report back on what I find. Thanks.
Have a look on the forum members map, there might be someone close to you who has VCDS/OBD 11 who can help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I managed to get VCDS,obd11 and both wouldn't give a reading on block 208 and 209

·
Registered
11,699 Posts
If both sensors are shorted to ground, that could be why.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've had similar rough running problems with mine, the car normally runs fine but if I start the car from cold then switch it off before the temp gauge starts registering it will then run like a bag of spanners until its warm, I find holding the revs above 3k allows it to clear fairly quickly. once warm its absolutely fine.
I've had it on VCDS & although the chains are worn but in tolerance, there's no other faults showing.
I've just learnt to live with it, only really an issue if I just need to move the car up the drive.
@Bucktt I guess when you collected your car from Audi, it had been left over night, they drove it out of the workshop then gave you the keys?

·
Administrator
95,091 Posts
I've had similar rough running problems with mine, the car normally runs fine but if I start the car from cold then switch it off before the temp gauge starts registering it will then run like a bag of spanners until its warm, I find holding the revs above 3k allows it to clear fairly quickly. once warm its absolutely fine.
Hi, That problem is usually caused by a dodgy coolant temp sensor. It gets itself confused when switched off & restarted after a cold start.
Hoggy.:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi, That problem is usually caused by a dodgy coolant temp sensor. It gets itself confused when switched off & restarted after a cold start.
Hoggy.:)
Yep, must agree, it definately seems something temperature sensor related, I did replace the coolant temp sensor when I first got the car, I don't recall the problem before this, however I hadn't had the car long before it got the service. maybe I've fitted a rogue sensor?
I know of the 49c / 51c trick so wondering which one directly relates to the temperature reading sent to the ECU? I would need to check the reading next time the car has this issue.

·
Administrator
95,091 Posts
Yep, must agree, it definately seems something temperature sensor related, I did replace the coolant temp sensor when I first got the car, I don't recall the problem before this, however I hadn't had the car long before it got the service. maybe I've fitted a rogue sensor?
I know of the 49c / 51c trick so wondering which one directly relates to the temperature reading sent to the ECU? I would need to check the reading next time the car has this issue.
Hi, Code 49 is coolant temp but is sent from dashpod, so a dodgy dashpod can affect the Code 49 reading. Ignore code 51 as it always settles at 90.
VagCom or similar is required to get a reliable true coolant temp. I have Liquid TT which gets coolant temp from ECU via the 2nd output from the coolant sensor so is as true as it can get.
Hoggy. :) .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've just put it to the test now. Started the car fine, let it idle a little still low temp, turned the car off then back on and ran awful again. Maybe I need a new sensor but still have the problem of not being able to read block 208 and 209 however can read 90 and 91 just fine and the reading jumping back and forth between -1 to 1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts