Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my BOSE amplifier got some serious oxidation and its pulling power from the battery around 1AMP. I have sent it to get it fixed. Any one knows how to stop this from happening? I read that there is a waterproof box from Audi? Is that even valid?

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
There are a variety of 'conformal coatings' designed to seal electronic / electrical circuit boards from corrosion. A Google search using that term will provide you with a list.
Here is one such example: https://www.chemtronics.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-conformal-coating

There are also several threads that can be found here in the MK2 forum that discuss ways to shield the amp (assuming they've fixed the search function with this new software).

If you do choose to use a conformal coating, be sure to mask off any component surfaces that mount to the case / heat sink since the coating will interfere with heat transfer.

Reactions: TT'sRevenge

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Roadster
11,534 Posts
This post from the KB discusses problems associated with the Bose Amp and includes a link regarding conformal coating. Water damage to the Bose Amp is a legendary issue for Coupe owners no thanks to poor design considerations from Audi. I believe the post below also includes a few links to UK companies that specialize in repairing damaged Bose Amps. If not, run a search as FNChaos suggested, it's a long discussed topic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts