Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My average MPG is awful. I know a lot of it is driving style but I really don't rag it and the majority of my my are dual carriage-ways crusing in 6th gear. I'm averaging around 24MPG!!!!

Now I think my thermostat is playing up - temp is often around 70 and doesn't always get to 90 (althoughdoes sometimes) and know this can affect the MPG.

I've bought one - just need to get it fitted but thought I'd see if people agreed/had any thoughts and also wondered if it matters what part I get. I just got a Circoli one from ECP as that's all they had in and had hoped to get it done earleir this week with some other bits but my mechanic didn't have time to get it done as well....

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
AdamG said:
Hi guys,

My average MPG is awful. I know a lot of it is driving style but I really don't rag it and the majority of my my are dual carriage-ways crusing in 6th gear. I'm averaging around 24MPG!!!!

Now I think my thermostat is playing up - temp is often around 70 and doesn't always get to 90 (althoughdoes sometimes) and know this can affect the MPG.

I've bought one - just need to get it fitted but thought I'd see if people agreed/had any thoughts and also wondered if it matters what part I get. I just got a Circoli one from ECP as that's all they had in and had hoped to get it done earleir this week with some other bits but my mechanic didn't have time to get it done as well....
We replaced our thermostat as we had the same symptoms.

However, it seemed to make no noticeable difference to the fuel consumption. Ours does around 30mpg local and 35ish on a run. The figures are from the DIS, I haven't calculated the consumption properly.

The car is driven very sensibly to achieve those consumption figures. I'm sure if we pushed it we would soon get down to similar figures to yours.

We replaced our 'stat with a genuine one, I've heard stories of pattern ones failing very soon after fitting.

HTH

Mark.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for that.

I know everyone says it but I really don't nail it lol.

Think I'll get a genuine replacement part and just see if that makes any difference.

Ps. Any tales of huge MPG gains after a thermostat change would be hugely appreciated guys lol.... :wink:

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
24mpg? Isn't that good? For the last 2000km my average fuel consumption was around 12l/100km (20mpg). I calculated it myself as I don't got onboard conputer.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Driving mine without economy in mind, get about 28-29 mpg but about 33-35mpg on a motorway run. I did notice a difference after changing a faulty thermostat as I was only getting about 26mpg before. Definitely agree with using a genuine Audi stat.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,371 Posts
Hi Adam, Replace thermostat & use OEM.
With low temps engine will be running rich & not good for long engine life or your wallet.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
31,647 Posts
poor1 said:
On long journeys using speed control not exceeding the speed limits and driven reasonably gently you should be getteing (1,8) between 37 and 40 mpg, calculated manually.
Why even bother having a TT :roll:

·
Registered
72 Posts
My temp gauge was reading around the 70 mark and i was getting around 39-40 according to the computer.
Had it changed reads a constant 90 now.................however 35-36 on the computer, i did post on here asking at the time what the relavance of having the temp at 90 was but got no replies.

Bri

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I only get 23-24 when Im driving miss daisy, when I drive it even a bit hard its below 20,
I have just got a new n75 to see if it makes it any better, I do think my map is pretty pants and the main issue though, saving my pennies to visit WAK.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Bago47 said:
24mpg? Isn't that good? For the last 2000km my average fuel consumption was around 12l/100km (20mpg). I calculated it myself as I don't got onboard conputer.
I think 24 is good. There are people on here who claim 30's and even 40's. Ummmmmmm - yeahhhhh.

It doesn't and wont happen.

I've had three TT's and all of them have been serviced to the moon and back - 20 around town creeping to 30 on a run if your careful.

These aren't cars to drive for economy - they're very thirsty. End of

·
Registered
736 Posts
The Reading is just a rough guesstimate lol.
Do it the old fashioned way... :D

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Serendipitous said:
Bago47 said:
I think 24 is good. There are people on here who claim 30's and even 40's. Ummmmmmm - yeahhhhh.

It doesn't and wont happen.
Bu*ls*it :lol: Did 450 miles last weekend in mine on 4 seperate motorway journey's with some town driving too and aircon on almost the whole time as it was unbearable without it. DIS read average 37.1mpg and actual when topped back up was calculated to 35.8, not bad for a heavy and thirsty V6 with 2 fatties on board :-* At one point the DIS was reading 39.6 average but traffic hold ups of over an hour brought it down to 37.1 when I got home. First time I've ever tried to see how much I could get out of a tank and it killed me not to press on :p

·
Registered
110 Posts
poor1 said:
On long journeys using speed control not exceeding the speed limits and driven reasonably gently you should be getteing (1,8) between 37 and 40 mpg, calculated manually.
US miles per gallon? Wow, I'd never come close to that...
I drive to work 12 miles each way with about 6 of that being city driving.
I average between 24-26 miles per gallon calculated by hand... the Pod says 1-2mpg higher all the time.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Ive calculaed on mine on a few occasions now and got an average of the 5 times of 38.3 mpg.
Thats brimmed,then brimmed again and calculated the mpg, over the last 8 months or so i ve got an average of those 5 x mpg's of 38.3
I feel this way gives an even better idea than a one off journey,as i do a lot of stop start short journeys then on the odd occasion a motorway thrown in.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts