Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,141 Posts
Think you are already in touch with the most likely forums - I guess anyone here who has had one probably reads those anyway :)

Nice choice if you find the right one. Yellow one lives near me - fab car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,711 Posts
You will be best PM'ing Clived, he's had a B5 RS4 for a while now - he could be selling it but not sure.

Hope that helps.

Graham
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,438 Posts
Mine is now gone :cry: but nearly 2 1/2 years experience.... so ask away :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
clived said:
Mine is now gone :cry: but nearly 2 1/2 years experience.... so ask away :)
Hey Clive - would appreciate any feedback you can give - how different are they to the TT? I'd like to change but I'd have to import one from the UK to Ireland and I'm not sure if (a) it's worth the effort/hassle of importing
or (b) it's worth dropping a year from my 02 TT to a car that could potentially have a lot more issues and much higher running costs.

I'm really interested in the difference in performance - both speed/acceleration and handling/comfort. Also interested in the difference in running costs - mostly servicing and any known issues (are there many)? Are the extra running cost worth the grin factor (ask a stupid question)?

Cheers for any help...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,711 Posts
I can tell you that I've been for a ride as a passenger in Clives RS4 and there is no comparison to the TT as regards performance - it's mind blowing :eek: :eek: I think it had a couple of mods though :roll:

I will let Clive fill you in on the rest.

Graham
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,438 Posts
2.7, twin turbo, 450 very real BHP and almost 500 ftlb of torque with a remap and sports cats - performance is nothing like a TT :)

Running costs however, also nothing like a TT - although I guess this depends on how much modding you plan doing! I had new brakes, suspension, ARBs, exhaust, cats, remap, big stereo install etc. etc., very regular maintainance, a complete gearbox rebuild + flywheel + clutch and spend way over £20k in 2 1/4 years - but I was doing 20k a year, and did maintain it regardless of cost. Fewer miles, less of a desire for mods and finding one where the gearbox doesn't need any work (mine was sychros on 1st and 2nd, and 3rd and 4th were starting to wear so did those too) and I'm sure you could run one for much much less. Don't forget insurance, tyres and fuel on top of that though.

Bottom line though - was it worth it? Abso-bloody-lutely :D A real hoot to drive, amazing overtaking capability. Obviously not the best handling car in the world, but reasonably well sorted with H&R PCS coilovers and H&R ARBs in my case - fun getting the back end out (on the track, obviously!).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
clived said:
2.7, twin turbo, 450 very real BHP and almost 500 ftlb of torque with a remap and sports cats - performance is nothing like a TT :)

Running costs however, also nothing like a TT - although I guess this depends on how much modding you plan doing! I had new brakes, suspension, ARBs, exhaust, cats, remap, big stereo install etc. etc., very regular maintainance, a complete gearbox rebuild + flywheel + clutch and spend way over £20k in 2 1/4 years - but I was doing 20k a year, and did maintain it regardless of cost. Fewer miles, less of a desire for mods and finding one where the gearbox doesn't need any work (mine was sychros on 1st and 2nd, and 3rd and 4th were starting to wear so did those too) and I'm sure you could run one for much much less. Don't forget insurance, tyres and fuel on top of that though.

Bottom line though - was it worth it? Abso-bloody-lutely :D A real hoot to drive, amazing overtaking capability. Obviously not the best handling car in the world, but reasonably well sorted with H&R PCS coilovers and H&R ARBs in my case - fun getting the back end out (on the track, obviously!).
Thanks Clive - I think remap & maybe an exhaust in the style of an RS6 twin would be as much as I'd mod. Initially I'd probably just fit new dampers (if still on standard ones) and a touch of lowering. Would probalby also upgrade the brakes as I had read that they weren't great - not sure what would be required though - new uprated pads and/or disks or would calipers be required too (read a lot of people put on RS6 calipers).

Are serviceable parts a lot more expensive than a TT? I'm not sure I prepared to take on a car with astronomical servicing costs regardless of performance - what was the cost of an oil service? What about thinks like brakes, gearbox oil, cambelt, etc?

Cheers for the info so far.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,438 Posts
The RS6 brake upgrade is a good one as pads and discs are readily available. I don't have the invoices any more to check, but IIRC cambelt is a little more involved than on the TT, but not outrageous, oil change would be about the same, full service obviously needs a 50% more spark plugs than a 4 cyl TT. Pads and discs are Audi OEM prices if you go RS6 upgrade, but still expensive. If you upgrade the engine at all (i.e. a remap) I'd personally go for a lower service interval - certainly not AVS - maybe every 10k miles if you're not tracking it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
clived said:
The RS6 brake upgrade is a good one as pads and discs are readily available. I don't have the invoices any more to check, but IIRC cambelt is a little more involved than on the TT, but not outrageous, oil change would be about the same, full service obviously needs a 50% more spark plugs than a 4 cyl TT. Pads and discs are Audi OEM prices if you go RS6 upgrade, but still expensive. If you upgrade the engine at all (i.e. a remap) I'd personally go for a lower service interval - certainly not AVS - maybe every 10k miles if you're not tracking it.
Thanks Clive - appreciate the feedback. Sounds like servicing might be cheaper than an E46 M3 which is another car I was considering. That's definitely a plus.... :D
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top