Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all tt drivers!

So below was my last thread done about a month ago. Im back at it again as the issue is not fixed. From that time i have replaced the drive shaft to brand new, found out my shock absorber bolt thread was destroyed so fixed that as well. Even after changing the drive shaft result are null, ive taken out the haldex fuse to see if it will stop and it does. So the rear left wheel vibrates when accelerating as soon as the haldex turns on, drive shaft new, differential changed, tyres are not the issue as i switched them round and made no difference. All bearings a bit worn but nothing major.

Now i have no idea what can cause this, could a swingarm be damaged somehow? Or the control arm somehow damaged? Any ideas on what i can check or try would be appreciated alot.

Thanks in advance 馃榿
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Rim

"Hello,

For a little bit of time now I've been struggling with this issue, after looking on many posts I can't find a resolution for this.
Lately, my audi TT 1.8t 225 2002 which gave me enough problems already has been having trouble with really bad vibration (feels like an up and down motion) only when accelerating fast. This the worst in 3rd and 4th gear but happens at all of them, in the range of 2500rpm to 3500rpm. Then it stops vibrating.

So the issue started not long ago after I bought the car, I've had tyres changed, balanced and checked if any damage or that it might be bent. Also broken differential was changed in the back, cv joints checked, springs are new, shocks are new, bearings checked as well. I've been to 3 different mechanics to have it checked out all said that those things are all good.

I have no idea what to grab on to, to find the issue. The wheel doesn't vibrate when realising the pedal or braking. Everything that I could think of didn't make a difference. Any ideas, suggestions would be helpful as it totally ruining the fun of the car. It was fine in the begging, it started before I've even started to working on it.

All help appreciated"

Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
Hi, Strange if you think haldex is involved as that only operates if front wheels lose traction. Have you carried out a fault scan, if haldex is involved I'm sure there will be fault codes.
Hoggy.:)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Strange if you think haldex is involved as that only operates if front wheels lose traction. Have you carried out a fault scan, if haldex is involved I'm sure there will be fault codes.
Hoggy.:)
Hi Hoggy!
I actually havent tried doing a scan, i will try that tomorrow. Unluckly i dont have the proffesional one that mechanics use but i can get one from a friend. Do you knownif there Is a way to reset the haldex after changing it?

Thanks,
Pat

Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
Hi, You will probably require a VAG specific scanner for haldex faults etc, as a generic one give no faults or false faults, but try a scan anyway.
When turning Ign ON do you get the ESP & ABS alarms showing during the Ign ON check?
Hoggy. :)

Registered
Sounds like a harmonics issue since it happens between certain revs. Since higher up in gear you go and it gets worse - the vibration is probably more pronounced since you move through that rev range slower in a higher gear. It sounds to me like something rotating in the wheel driveline is out of balance. It could be something unexpected, like a brake disk. Best to check the cheap, unobvious stuff and rule it out before looking further. Armchair diagnosis - take it for what it's worth.

Registered
Is it not the wheel bearing?
It is the only thing that I can think of, that would cause a vibration and then not have a complete failure.
Other than that, the next thing I would check is the prop shaft, but that is a long shot.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, You will probably require a VAG specific scanner for haldex faults etc, as a generic one give no faults or false faults, but try a scan anyway.
When turning Ign ON do you get the ESP & ABS alarms showing during the Ign ON check?
Hi Hoggy,
I tired the vag scanner from a friend at work and no faults have been found. So its nothing electrical its something mechanical thats damaged. I do get the light if i can remeber correctly.

Pat

Administrator
Hi Hoggy,
I tired the vag scanner from a friend at work and no faults have been found. So its nothing electrical its something mechanical thats damaged. I do get the light if i can remeber correctly.

Pat
Hi, I mentioned the ESP/ABS alarms thinking if they had been hidden (it does happen) there could be a fault that was intermittently applying the brakes to that wheel.
No faults rules that out I would think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts