Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have noticed a back end thud noise when going over uneven surfaces, which in the UK is quite often :ROFLMAO:.

It sounds like a train going over points.

It's not the arb brackets, boot lid, plastic trim, battery or anything in the boot. Pretty sure it's not the exhaust, and all things I've grabbed underneath have felt solid. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Do the fwd cars have the plastic shrouds fitted to the trailing arms? The A3 do and cause a clunk - I belive they can be removed without detriment.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Well, I have heard comments about this and know one A3 owner who removed them. But as mine is a quattro which do not have the plastic shrouds, I have not been troubled.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shocks, rarb, plastic shrouds, lower arms, wheels all checked and no movement/noise. I did reposition the rarb because one bracket was fixed low and the other high, if you know what I mean. Got a jack under the high fixing side to bring the bar up and lower the fixing point to match the other side. I also plugged the rear seat belts in as it could be them banging against the plastic side trim 😚

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I’m not entirely sure where I read it or I may have just dreamt about it. I vaguely recall someone having knocking issues at the rear and it was down to the rear strut mounts. Wish I could remember where I read or heard it from to link to it.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can rear top mounts be replaced without removing the spring? With the car jacked up I'd imagine the spring would have lost all tension?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Can rear top mounts be replaced without removing the spring? With the car jacked up I'd imagine the spring would have lost all tension?
Rear top mounts are on top of the shock which are completely seperate from the spring, the spring will still need removing (1 bolt through rear control arm) so you can get at the bolt securing the shock to the rear hub carrier. Wheel arch liner will also need removing to access the top mount bolts.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. I'd seen that the spring was separate, surprised it would need removing as I thought lifting the car would drop the lower control arm enough to avoid that and the shock could be released at the Mount end?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmm. Think I might just buy new top mounts and shocks all round and get someone else to do it when fitting my lowering springs.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm starting to think it's the rarb "clicking" as it twists in the polybushed brackets. A precursor to the full creaking noise. I'll take the polybushes off and give em a good greasing again. I'll report back.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts