Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you're a techie lot I thought I'd ask you for recommendations for software to back up initially and regularly from an internal drive to a permanently attached USB drive. Can Window XP do this on its own? What is the best software to achieve this? I'm not looking for bells and whistles, just a basic regular, daily perhaps, backup of photos and documents, not programs or operating systems.

TIA.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
XP's backup will do the job sufficiently, and you can schedule it too. Fire up the backup wizard and follow it through.. it should be fairly self explanatory. It does however create a dedicated backup file (bkf I think) rather than actually copying the files, so it depends what you want to achieve.

If you want pure copies of the files, with the option to ZIP them up, with scheduling, try something like Uranium backup.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hoggy said:
Hi, I use Goodsync.. click link for Free trial..
Hoggy.
http://www.goodsync.com/land/land.php?a ... oodsync_tm
This is exactly what I use, but the full version.

Can choose the folders you wish to backup, and time (e.g. Every day at 10am, or like me every hour).

After the first backup, it only backs up the modified files each time, so it'll only take minutes to copy the changed files across.

It coppies the files as they are, not like Windows built in coppier where as mentioned it'll create a backup file (which can't be read, only restored as a whole)

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
97,227 Posts
Hi CJ, Yes I use the full pro version & think its excellent. Have it on 3 PCs, had to buy 2nd license £8, for 4th PC.
Hoggy. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.