Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I just bought a 2002 TT 2 weeks ago and my husband is driving me nuts talking about a bad smell in it - he's been out in a lot more than me - so far. Unfortunately I lost my sense of smell last year and this is so frustrating as normally I would have been able to identify the smell and maybe found the source of it! He says it's like someone walked in a field of horse manure and trod it into the car but the smell seems to be coming from the air vents. He bought a Kleen Air bomb thing and ran that to clear the vents and also changed the filter over the weekend - we've been out in it today and he says it's a bit better but the odour is still there and he says it pervaded his clothing and also the bag in the boot containing the GuardX products. Not very pleasant and as someone with no sense of smell it's making me paranoid my clothes and hair etc will smell the same when I eventually get the chance to drive it! He's 90% sure it's in the vents but is now at a loss what to do to eliminate it. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks
WG

·
Registered
250 Posts
Has your car got aircon?

I would almost guarantee that you have bacterial build up in the vents or a soggy pollen filter. The best way to tackle the problem is to change the pollen filter and run a can of aircon cleaner in the car. This cleans the vents and kills the bacteria which causes the smell.

Here is the sort of thing you are after, there are various types around and if you pop along to your local car parts place then I'm sure they will have a range of different ones:

LINKY!

LINKY!_2

:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SonyVaio It has climate control which I guess isn't quite the same as air con but not far off - he's used the air con cleaner (the one where you set it going and leave the car running with the windows closed and vents open) and also changed the pollen filter. As I say it's a bit better but still lingering and annoying - I wondered if it will help to have the heating on to dry the vets out or will that make it worse?

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,372 Posts
Hi, With another Bacteria spray, remove pollen filter & spray into that ducting with aircon running .
Using aircon on Max heat for a while afterwards (pollen filter replaced) will also help kill the bacteria.
Hoggy. :D

·
Super Moderator
8,675 Posts
I know it's a bit of a longshot but it's been documented a few times on here about the windscreen washer bottle / fluid causing smells in the cabin, might be worth checking out

Welcome to the TTF :)

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,372 Posts
Ikon66 said:
I know it's a bit of a longshot but it's been documented a few times on here about the windscreen washer bottle / fluid causing smells in the cabin, might be worth checking out

Welcome to the TTF :)
Hi, Good thinking Paul, I'd forgot about that one. :wink:
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
These three things will get rid of the smell:
Give the car a good clean, carpets and all.
Replace the pollen filter. It's a 2 minute job and they are cheap, no point cleaning it.
Get a canister of air con cleaner and use it.

Unless there's a dead rat hidden in the car, the Snell should disappear.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Garth said:
Replace the pollen filter. It's a 2 minute job and they are cheap, no point cleaning it.

perfect advice, Garth the canister your on about is that one of the air con bomb things? i used a cherry bomb, through it in like a grenade with the aircon on for 10 mins then opened doors. fresh n clean :D

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Charlesuk said:
Garth said:

perfect advice, Garth the canister your on about is that one of the air con bomb things? i used a cherry bomb, through it in like a grenade with the aircon on for 10 mins then opened doors. fresh n clean :D
Link to this Cherry Bomb?

Cheers!

·
Registered
83,936 Posts
It could be that you have had used 2 different types of screen wash and they reacted happened on her in doors Focus a few years ago a good flush out with milton fixed it

·
Registered
19,084 Posts
years ago i used to have to wash my bosses car weekly in the rear courtyard as and when he wanted. every chance i got i used to pee in his washer bottle reservoir when bonnet up and obscuring view lol...........me bad long time johhny :lol:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
this is the exact same brand / bomb but i cant find the cherry one on ebay.... ill get another one from my local garage, they do 3 different smells and this cleanse one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Con-Bomb- ... 574wt_1166

well worth it and its lasts for ages...

YELLOW_TT said:
It could be that you have had used 2 different types of screen wash and they reacted happened on her in doors Focus a few years ago a good flush out with milton fixed it
this could be very right, had the same problem in my old clio and i didnt know what it was for ages until i opened the washer bottle and was nearly sick in it.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
there so good, make sure the car is sealed shut. once done turn the aircon off or use it how you normally do and feel the freshness. the air even makes your eyes feel clean :lol:

·
Registered
892 Posts
You can also put a couple of plates with a small puddle of strong vinegar on them, close the doors and leave overnight. It's an old trick to get out smoke and other bad smells, but you'll get a residual smell from the vinegar as well, but that goes away over time. I've done it lots of times and it works great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts