Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a badger 5 TIP but am struggling to fit the oem airbox there just doesn't seem to be any room ... I have a cone filter on at the moment but I just don't like the noise it makes any tips for making fitting of oem airbox easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,675 Posts
It will fit, but the TIP needs trimming to make it work, or make a cylinderical enclosure for the filter to sit in, non offensive to the ears but does not impdede performance imo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,596 Posts
you need to trim it if there is a heat shield too, otherwise the TIP compresses. dont trim the turbo end, you might want to leave the bottom loose until you rotate it into a relaxed position, when I just had a cone filter on the end of the tip it looked much more comfortable.

you could do what I did and put some foam on the bonnet above the heat shield to try and shield some of the sound.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,675 Posts
TT Tom TT said:
Get a sharp knife and cut off an inch or so at the MAF end. You can cut nearly a perfect circle if you use your MAF and a jubilee clip as the 'stencil'.
You can say that again :) , i tried that did'nt work for me so install a huge cone filter instead then made a enclosure for it to keep the racket down :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Delta4 said:
TT Tom TT said:
Get a sharp knife and cut off an inch or so at the MAF end. You can cut nearly a perfect circle if you use your MAF and a jubilee clip as the 'stencil'.
You can say that again :) , i tried that did'nt work for me so install a huge cone filter instead then made a enclosure for it to keep the racket down :lol:
Hi mate got any pics of the enclosure
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,374 Posts
im still to do this to mine after having it on the car 12 months, lol

but then i dont really feel like chopping it, makes selling it easier if i ever do, plus what performance gains are involved, if any ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,675 Posts
Terry63 said:
Delta4 said:
TT Tom TT said:
Get a sharp knife and cut off an inch or so at the MAF end. You can cut nearly a perfect circle if you use your MAF and a jubilee clip as the 'stencil'.
You can say that again :) , i tried that did'nt work for me so install a huge cone filter instead then made a enclosure for it to keep the racket down :lol:
Hi mate got any pics of the enclosure
Got pics but it's so simple to put in words, have a look at the forge mk4 r32 induction kit, the cylinder part of the kit i made from a sheet of black plastic, it's a snug fit over k&n s2000 filter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,596 Posts
infidel.uk said:
im still to do this to mine after having it on the car 12 months, lol
but then i dont really feel like chopping it, makes selling it easier if i ever do, plus what performance gains are involved, if any ?
for someone with a beach buggy hybrid turbo, if you really dont believe the oversized TIP adds anything put back the stock one and get it mapped to see if it reaches the 309bhp you have?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,374 Posts
:lol:

quite right too, but i was meaning the cutting of the tip, as suggested on this very topic. 8)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,636 Posts
No trim needed on mine


Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,596 Posts
also HOGG got his TIP all the way up to the MAF Sensor - do you not have a lip? <-- that is not supposed to sound like a "and that's what she said moment"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,795 Posts
You will be able to get it to fit with the standard airbox but will require major trimming to get it sitting right... I'm pretty sure my induction kit / heatshield sits in the same position as the standard airbox would and I managed to get this to fit...

 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tried to get it to fit this morning even with trimming the angle wasn't right and it was slightly compressing the TIP into an oval shape ..... ended up doing this for now at least it will be sheielded from the heat a bit and will get colder air from the duct that goes to the inner wing


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top