Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ive got a 52reg 225 roaster, and last night it got kerbed very bad and nocked the tracking right out/ bent something, I manged to limp it home with ESP OFF as it just went mad with it on, and the abs was also going mad, kicking in all the time when i brake, after getting the wheels somewere near tracked up again at 9.45 in the freezing cold last nite (they was like / \ ) the car is still the same? what needs sorting? any help appriciated

·
Registered
28,018 Posts
you need to review the abs ring, abs sensor and wiring to it on that wheel.

the ring is hardest to do with the brake disc in place but may be possible to spin the hub and look for even clearence to the sensor.

Sensor may not have like the jolt and need replacing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok that ring looks good, smae clearance all way round, disconected abs sensor and cleaned with wd40, reconnected and went for a run, all seemed ok for 4mins ish, then a down hill left hand corner and it started its tricks again.
its better with esp off but aabd still goes mad as soon as u touch the brakes.
Also my steering wheel is half a turn out, anyone no anyone near leeds bradford way who will plug it in?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
TBTT said:
Ok that ring looks good, smae clearance all way round, disconected abs sensor and cleaned with wd40, reconnected and went for a run, all seemed ok for 4mins ish, then a down hill left hand corner and it started its tricks again.
its better with esp off but aabd still goes mad as soon as u touch the brakes.
Also my steering wheel is half a turn out, anyone no anyone near leeds bradford way who will plug it in?
There's your problem, or a good bit of it.... if the steering is 1/2 a turn out and you are trying to go straight the steering position sensor is telling the esp you are trying to turn but the accelerometers are saying you are going straight on... so the ESP is trying to keep you out of an imaginary ditch!!!

You MUST get the tracking redone with the steering centred properly. It sounds like you may have more suspension damage than you previously thought... less of a kerbing, more of a ramming I think...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok can u take the wheel off and centre it that way? Not suspension its either bent a track rod or sumthing, I just need to get It driving to send it to the body shop, Thanks for the help appriciated lads, im useless with these trick sensors!

·
Registered
28,018 Posts
Steering angle sensor is important as chip says and everything needs to be correctly set.

If you have esp switch off and are still getting abs kick in at low speed you "may" still have an ABS sensor or wiring problem, data logging can help determine where the problem is.

Get the steering angle sorted out first, check it with esp on,
Then check if you are getting abs kick in at low speeds when braking with esp off.

if so you may need to data log the output to check the consistancy of the speed pulse from that sensor as it may look like its working fine at higher speeds.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No im in Halifax west yorkshire, near leeds. Well its all in bits again awaiting mending, if anyone can give brief instructions im sure il suss it if i go carefull, then ive got a mate who has a snap-on diagnostics, then he could sort the codes etc out after?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok heres a better description:
Whats happened, if you imagine reversing on full lock left hand down, the the drivers side wheel hitting a post and stopping the car on the tyre, forcing it forwards, so its bent something? The steering bar looks good and nothing else looks out of the ordinary.
What ive done is put it back to how it was with the origanl steering wheel alignment and 1 straight wheel and the other miles in.
Are there any week points that often go?
Any help appriciated

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
sounds like lower arms are bent or a wish bone.

i hit a curb in an icy car park at 5mph (BMW 540i) and it bent the wishbone like a banna shape, that made my traction control go mental, and also my steering way miles out.....

you need to get your suspension set up looked at....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.