Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else finding the BBC commentaries incredibly boring? There are some events where there's obviously a commentary for spectators in the grounds, done by people who know what's going on, what's coming up, what factors are at play, etc. and from what you can hear in the background they seem to be more interesting, more informative, and more exciting than some old duffer in a BBC box reading boring stats and fumbling for things to say. And when they aren't commentating (which is rare) the background noise is still turned right down, removing any atmosphere from the venues themselves.

Why don't they just shut up the boring gits and just pipe out the sound and commentary from the venues? It'd be much more like being there.

On the plus side, the sports site is quite good for finding out what's on when, what's on now. They did leave out one small detail though... which of the 24 HD channels to find each thing on :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Did you see the report on the 10 o'clock news about the men's cycling road race? No idea who the idiot was who did it but it was blatantly apparent he understood absolutely nothing about the race. He slated the British team and clearly didn't appreciate they'd put in an absolutely herculean effort but were carrying a ball and chain of the rest of the peloton who were clearly happy to not win anything just as long as Cav didn't win. The prat was even stupid enough to suggest they had been broken on Box Hill, that Wiggins had blown up and dropped out and that clearly they were suffering after the Tour!

In the end when being interviewed Cav just walked away from him saying, "Stop asking stupid questions. Do you know anything about cycling?"

Pretty much summed it up. The guy really was a pillock.

I think the problem there and with what you've noticed is that they tend to use contracted commentators but give them sports that they don't really know a great deal about. Yes, they probably would do better searching round and finding people from within the sports who'd do a far better job of it.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
absolutely - its been dismall in eg cycling - two commentators chatting to each other about 'sub this and sub that' with no thought that the general public need to 'be informed ' and have things explained but they are in their own little world.

Also not enough info on screen about times and splits eg in the cycling and the BBC say they are limited as to what they get. Bollocks - they should have set this up with what they want........ too late now.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris Boardman was one of the commentators on the TV footage I thought. Unfortunately he did get cut off or interrupted quite a lot by the boring idiot who was with him who did seem to know bugger all about anything.

Here are my top 3 BBC commentary peeves:
1) I've heard this a few times now, and it's just happened with canoeing... the nasal twat doing the commentating spends time in the middle of a run describing how the crowd can see the whole course and how you can hear their reactions during a run. Problem: at home you can't hear the crowd very much at all, and you can hear them even less when some arsehole is describing their reactions! [smiley=bomb.gif]

"The PA sytem has just announced the arrival of.... "

Facepalm.

2) Being behind the on-site commentators and either stating the obvious. Quite often you can pick up info from the on-site commentators and they're ahead of the Muppet Sports drones.

3) They just don't know when to shut up. Nothing much to say? Fill it with banal drivel like "she's got a chance of getting into the final" - yes, so has everyone, dick! "This could be faster" Yes it could be, but we won't know until they finish! Or read out some boring stats from the athlete profile sheet.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Yes I have hit the mute button a few times. However I watched the sailing today and both the commentators new what it was all about, they are both sailors. Sham Ben A is behind a bit, still early days. The guy from Denmark in the Finn class is good in the last race today he started dead last due to an infringement but finished 5th.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The beach volleyball has a pretty good balance of background versus commentary. The commentator is fairly quiet and doesn't waffle on. Well balanced I'd say. Sadly Britain lost against Brazil, but a fun game to watch.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I'm a huge fan of what was News24, now BBC - but I feel that the news has been 'dumbed down' for ages now. Commentators don't seem to have any real understanding of what they are yakking on about, let alone on sport.

I was in the bank earlier - totally glued to the cross country event - sound was off and I was reading the commentary - and felt like I'd like to grab whoever was typing it - the spelling mistakes were dire. This is THE BBC fgs - can they not get it right??

·
Registered
31,066 Posts
Are we going to win anything other than the wooden spoon?
17th position is a national disgrace, all that money was well spent... :roll:

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
We're only three days in and you written us off already? Most of the events we traditionally do well in are later on in the games so I don't think you can read much into the medal tables at the moment.

·
Registered
31,066 Posts
Aquatics/Rowing were our one great hope.
We have little chance at track and field.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Aquatics? I didn't think we were expecting a lot of medals there. As for the rowing, no one's won any medals in that yet because it's just been the heats so far. The other big disciplines for GBR will be sailing and indoor cycling.

Anyway, its not about how many medals we get, it's just about getting more than the Australians.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts