Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upon startup I get this pulsing squeak/squawk from the engine bay. It fades after a while, but is still slightly evident after a 30 mile trip.
I'm pretty sure it's belt/pulley related, but which one?
The pulsing speeds up when you rev it - so does that point to cambelt rather than alternator belt?

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Brittan,
Audi are doing the cambelt and water pump in a couple of weeks, presumably the tensioner will be changed at the same time? - i'll be sure for them to at least check it.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I'd be tempted to remove the 'alternator belt' and start up the engine. Noise still there? -> cambelt tensioner. Noise gone? -> alternator or tensioner or compressor.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
TTurbodan said:
Thanks Brittan,
Audi are doing the cambelt and water pump in a couple of weeks, presumably the tensioner will be changed at the same time? - i'll be sure for them to at least check it.
Go for a replacement. These tensioners do go wrong every now and then. Have them replacing the water pump too. You could even add the thermostat to that list, once it's all open anyway.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TT-driver said:
I'd be tempted to remove the 'alternator belt' and start up the engine. Noise still there? -> cambelt tensioner. Noise gone? -> alternator or tensioner or compressor.
If I remove a belt and start the engine, it will blow up :oops: - I stop at topping up liquids when necessary.
If it was compressor related would it only squeak when the AC is on?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I misread, I thought yours was when the car is in motion as mine is.

The squeak on startup is common among Mk5 GTi owners too, I had it in mine. Replacing the cambelt tensioner cures it apparently.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TT-driver said:
:lol:

The AC pulley is always driven by the belt....

Was it you who demanded a cambelt change as part of delivery?
Nope not me. I was sucked in by the service guide when I bought the car, but now hear it's best to get it done upon 5yrs/60k.
£429 by Southampton Audi + £120 to do the water pump. I'm pretty happy with that for a pucka Audi stamp.
Here's hoping that's an end to this noise - right now my car sounds as bad as my colleague's 12 yr old Daewoo.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Had my Cambelt,water pump and tensioner done today at Swansea Audi £399 all in, it was advertised at £529 on main site, was down there last week and they said they had a deal going on for the month of August. May be a local dealer offer but worth ringing around [smiley=gossip.gif]

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
moro anis said:
I thought the the water pump and tensioners were all parts of the cambelt change procedure as if one of them failed the belt could jump and still wreck things.
I was offered the cambelt change without the water pump, recommended to change the lot though, as you say if one goes causes a knock on effect to the other [smiley=gossip.gif]

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
TTurbodan said:
Upon startup I get this pulsing squeak/squawk from the engine bay. It fades after a while, but is still slightly evident after a 30 mile trip.
I'm pretty sure it's belt/pulley related, but which one?
The pulsing speeds up when you rev it - so does that point to cambelt rather than alternator belt?

Cheers,
Dan
How many Kilometers on ur TT bro?
Mine is due for the belt and stuff

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
TT-REX said:
TTurbodan said:
Mine's at 63k miles (100k km) and was 5 last week.
but the cambelt is not before like 170,000kms or 105,633miles that is good to change?
mines at 114,000kms or 70836miles
#
Christ, Audi still spouting that crap on the MK2 as well,
but the cambelt is not before like 170,000kms or 105,633miles
replace every 60,000 mls or 5 years, whichever is first if you want to be safe. Also do the hydraulic tensioner and water pump at the same time, they're not normally included.[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts