Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so after my single unit 1.5Tb drive blew up I am in the market for a RAID 1 drive.

I have seen a few on Amazon which look OK (they are 2Tb drives, giving about 980Gb of usable space), but I was wondering if anyone else could recommend one? I'm not looking to spend a fortune, anything up to £300 would be considered.

Obviously stability & reliability is key, but a quiet drive would be useful too as it will be sat on my desktop in my home office.

These are the ones I have looked at so far.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-47...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1270045795&sr=1-1

TIA,

Mart.

·
Registered
15,939 Posts
Your mileage may vary, but my WD overheats - to the extent that the once-white casing is now yellowed in places. :eek: :eek:

Not what you'd expect from a supposedly "Premium" product...

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
I'm a WD buyer too. WD do a RAID edition for their drives which feature a few other things, but probably aren't relevant. 2TB are still expensive bang for buck. 1-1.5 TB offer better value for money.

If you're putting the drives in a hot place then probably don't go for the high-performance drives, instead for the eco/green ones as they will use less power, and produce less heat. The high-performance ones tend to be for workstations.

As Jampott said, RAID 5 will give you a mix of performance and redundancy, if that's a concern for you. If redundancy isn't a concern then RAID 0 is the way to go. RAID 1 doesn't mean you don't have to back up, it just saves you restoring from backups if and when a drive fails.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting comments, thanks guys.

Tim - as I am not really a techie, is the RAID 5 system you mentioned easy to set up? Also I am not sure how it is completely fail-safe if you're able to write to 3Tb & only have 1Tb as the back-up - could you explain?

If it is relatively simple, could you point me in the right direction as to where to buy it?

Cheers,

Mart.

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
RAID support depends on your gear. Cheaper units support RAID 0 and 1, then some chuck in 5.

There are various levels which do different things, details (including pictures) are here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

RAID 5 is the de-facto in small servers as it's easy to implement and provides the best of both worlds. But it does require at least 3 disks.

It works by striping the data (same as RAID 0) across two disks, giving you much faster performance, but addresses the redundancy by writing a "parity bit" to the third disk. This means if one disk fails the system can work out what data has been lost and rebuild it.

This means one disk is essentially not used for net storage (just like mirroring, RAID 1), but you also get resilience.

Depending on how complex your RAID controller is you can also mix and match! I've got RAID-0 and RAID-1 on different areas of my disks on my server, depending on what data I'm storing in those areas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.