Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

If any of you saw my post Friday, I bought a 6 month old RNS-E to replace the BNS 5.0 in my 2011 TTS roadster. My car has a standard system i.e. no Bose

It was all pre configured for me and everything worked apart from the fact there was no sound in any function. I spent Friday afternoon and most of Saturday communicating with an independent Audi/VW SatNav installer all to no avail.

Not wishing to be beaten, yesterday morning I got up early and drove 250 miles to his house as we assumed there may be a problem with the unit.

To cut a long story short there wasn't. We tried 3 more new RNS-E units, a previous version of the RNS-E and a new unit for the A3. All the same problem - no sound. The guy has VCDS and does this for a living. He has never seen this problem before. He checked on all the technical sites to which he has access and there was no additional information. He phoned 2 other installers he knows and everything they suggested he had already tried.

In the end, after a whole morning at it he had to admit defeat and I had an unhappy long 250 mile drive home in terrible rain at times apart from about 50 miles of sunshine when I could have the roof down which did cheer me up a bit.

Not being one to be beaten, there must be someone who knows a fix?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Just thinking aloud basically - if you've not got Bose, some - maybe all - channels are amplified internally by the head unit. I seem to remember on the A3's, the front channels were driven by the headunit, the rears by a puny amp in the boot. The RNS-E has 4 sets of amplified speaker outputs that are NOT on the main large quadlock connector. I also seem to remember that these need to be switched ON by VCDS.

A better forum to visit for your issues would be, if I'm allowed to post it;

http://audiforum.us/forums/rns-e.40/

Have a trawl though there......

·
Registered
420 Posts
Looking at the knowledgebase on here, even the non-Bose cars have an amp in the boot, it's just smaller. If you put the BNS back in, does that give you sound?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Also, check pin 7 on connector B (blue one) is empty, if this is shorted it will think you have Bose, that could cause issues too?

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
Do you have a copy of the coding for the unit?
BNS to RNS is pretty much plug and play - you don't need to change anything in terms of wiring unless you have BOSE, but even then if you would still get some sound.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. The pin to which you refer is empty so it doesn't think it has Bose. if you plug the BNS back in it works fine.
I've tried 3 times now to post pictures but everytime I do, my post crashes so here goes again with pictures posted separately.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
OK the issue is you have no connector where the speakers are ....

Do you have an amp in the rear qtr panel?
This looks like the none UK setup.... Do you have an A block?
if you look on BNS, it has audio in the same place as the RNS - LF RF and these go back to the amp where its sent to the speaker.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree,
My conclusion too is that there is no speaker connector but the BNS works fine. I also pointed that out to the integrator and he said Bose setup are like that and the amp takes care of the signals (I don't know if that's right or wrong). He mentioned something about could it be DPS or DSP amp?
Is there any easy way to check if I have an amp in the rear quarter?

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
Nope, BOSE still has the same A block.

Let me find the diagram - that shows the basic radio setup, can you look in the boot for the AMP?
Can you also photo me the data sticker from the boot or your service book?

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't see how it would work without the A block either. We've both searched high and low for it to no avail and if you plug the BNS in all functions work ie fade to left, right and balance front to back with sound at all times.
Picture of sticker attached.

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
X2B - so its a UK car...
worrying one is 9VD, which is the really really basic Audio (or active speakers).
id remove the pic or you VIN from the pic

This is what id do.
Disconnect blue and green connectors and put it back into the BNS
This should still work and you'll get sound. This means the active pin is in D block
It then has to be one of three wires on the opposite side of the can connector.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sounds to me like the RNS is coded to output only to the high level outs when it needs to be coded as if you have Bose. This should switch off the RNS internal amplification and start putting a signal out of the line outputs on the smaller pinned green plug. I think it calls them Lo on your pic of the BNS and Li-ne on the RNS

Whereabouts are you Moris, roughly? Any where nearer to me than your installer?

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
I cant delete it, its under your account - can't you just rename?

Speakers/sound has to be coming from the blue connector.

I note it says "active" im sure this is an option on coding - whats the red ones below set to in terms of values?

0?xxxxx: Model 1 = Lamborghini
2 = Audi A3 (8P)
3 = Audi A4 (8E)
4 = Audi A4 Cabriolet (8H)
5 = Audi A6 (4B)
6 = Audi TT (8J)
7 = Audi R8 (42)

0x?xxxx: Treble Speaker Monitoring inactive 0 = Front Treble Speaker Monitoring inactive active (NOT Audi A4 Cabriolet)
1 = Front Treble Speaker Monitoring inactive inactive (ONLY Audi A4 Cabriolet)

0xx?xxx: Sound Characteristic 0 = Sound Characteristic linear
1 = Audi A4 (8E)
2 = Audi A6 (4B)
3 = Audi A4 Cabriolet (8H)
4 = Audi TT (8J)
5 = Audi A3 (8P)
9 = Sound System

0xxx?xx: Telephone/Telematic 1 = Telephone not installed (Remote Feed Voltage for Microphone active)
2 = Base Plate (Temic - Remote Feed Voltage for Microphone inactive)
3 = Base Plate (Cullmann - Remote Feed Voltage for Microphone inactive)
4 = Base Plate (Nokia - Remote Feed Voltage for Microphone inactive)
5 = Telematic Europa (Remote Feed Voltage for Microphone inactive)
6 = Telematic US (Remote Feed Voltage for Microphone inactive)
7 = Base Plate diagnostic capable with Comfort Control

0xxxx?x: Equipment I 1 = Tuner not installed
2 = Digital-Radio installed
3 = Satellite-Radio installed
4 = Satellite and Digital-Radio installed
5 = Analog Input (AUX) installed
7 = Satellite-Radio & Analog Input (AUX) installed

0xxxxx?: Equipment II 1 = TV-Tuner/CD-Changer/Multi-Function Steering Wheel not installed
2 = TV-Tuner installed
3 = CD-Changer installed
4 = TV-Tuner and CD-Changer installed
5 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel installed
6 = TV-Tuner and Multi-Function Steering Wheel installed
7 = CD-Changer and Multi-Function Steering Wheel installed
8 = TV-Tuner and CD-Changer and Multi-Function Steering Wheel installed

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.