Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased a nearly new RNS-E to replaced my BNS 5.0 Navigation system. I know there are plenty that don't like the RNS-E and fit other units - most of which are incompatible with the DIS, but I was pleased with it in my last TT and missed its features (TMC mainly).

The old unit came out of the dash fairly easily but the plugs were quite difficult to remove as there is very little slack in the system. The worst of all was the airbag warning light connector.

Connected the RNS-E, typed in the code and it was up and running. Language was German but that was easy to fix. Map appeared, 6 changer worked, radio worked, TMC worked, phone and bluetooth work but no sound out the speakers. Checked all connectors were fine and they are. It's not on mute either.

I was told that it is because my BNS Aux connections are different and I need to remove 3 specific wires from the blue plug, fit them to a new connector (supplied) and plug it into the 32 pin socket. I'll try this tomorrow as I have no reason to disbelieve what I've been told.

Question is, as a plan B, does anyone have an alternative solution or comments in case it doesn't work?

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
I dont think its a case of not liking the RNS, more they dont want to pay the price it commands.
Don't forget it will add 1k to the resale value of your car. Unit is AS good as anything out their - only foible is the post code issue, but to me it make 0 difference, if you know the street name bobs your uncle.

3 wires is correct - this is for the AUX - all the details can be found in the kb.
if you dont intend to use AUX you dont need to bother.

HOWEVER - the RNS WILL need coding to YOUR car based on YOUR fitted options if you want everything to work correctly.

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tosh,

Thanks for the reply. The unit was coded for my car and absolutely everything works fine even saying TTS when turning on. The problemem is, I have no sound at all in any function.

I've been told it's because I need to move the 3 AUX wires from the quad connector to a separate A/V plug to obtain sound.

I have read your article in th KB and that's my next move.

Question is will that fix it?

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.