Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legal to use a vinyl number plate on the likes of the TT with it being fitted to the front edge of the bonnet to enable the front bumper to be free of it?
Steve

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
I don't think so despite seeing things like Caterhams running them like that - I think they have to be flat on the front of the vehicle so "safety cameras" can catch you - I am not 100%

Charlie

·
Premium Member
27,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sickboy said:
It would look toss anyway, just stick your current one in the window on the dash :p
Am looking to do it for the Italy trip maybe, to give me that oldie style supercar look like the E-Type did.. :p :p
Steve

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
On dash is now illegal, has to be on outside of car, vinyl would have to be reflective for it to be legal

·
Premium Member
27,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bikerz said:
On dash is now illegal, has to be on outside of car, vinyl would have to be reflective for it to be legal
Better response
Steve

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Its legal as long as you can get reflective vinyl Im sure. Font and size and reflectiveness, spacing with no badges (bar the legal ones) I think it all the law is on them. I wouldnt put money on it, but would certainly take the risk. Can you get reflective vinyl?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Bikerz said:
To be honest I never thought it was legal! My new one is held on with magnet so I can take it off easy whenever I want that smooooth look :p

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
i think its ok as long as reflective and correct font, dunno about those weirdo euro.laws
look good to as you said very reto and alpine rally and its not as though its all that permanant

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Didnt used to be when I had my lupo GTI. But was told just before xmas it was on the new lupo sdi. Has be be on body work on outside. Law has changed in last 2 or 3 years

·
Registered
11,940 Posts
Mine has been in the windscreen for about a year now

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
robokn said:
Mine has been in the windscreen for about a year now
Defo illegal now the Rob. Localy bobby pointed it out and made me put on front, he did tell me law had changed recently when I said I used to have it like that on my gti no problems

·
Registered
341 Posts
stevecollier said:
Sickboy said:
It would look toss anyway, just stick your current one in the window on the dash :p
Am looking to do it for the Italy trip maybe, to give me that oldie style supercar look like the E-Type did.. :p :p
Steve
The stick on plates on Jag "E" type bonnets are stictly illegal and always have been,just that they turn a blind eye with old classics.(Not legal because should be fixed vertically)

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Traffic stuff really isn't in my sphere of interest so I'm never certain about these little construction and use technicalities, but I do think there is something in the latest legislation about the 'plate' being set as near virtical as is practically possible - which I think would pretty much rule out having it anywhere other than on the front of the bumper.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I totaly see your arguement mark. But motorbikees come out of teh factory with huge angles on teh number plates so surley same rule for cars? Tho saying that bike plate laws do vary with size etc... so maybe im grasping at straws :?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Mark's right.

ROAD TRAFFIC
The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks)

Fixing of front registration plates: vehicles registered on or after the relevant date
6.-(1) This regulation applies to vehicles, other than works trucks, road rollers and
agricultural machines, first registered on or after the relevant date.
(2) Except as provided in paragraph (5), a registration plate must be fixed on the front of the
vehicle in the manner required by paragraph
(3).
(3) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed-
(a) vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the
vertical as is reasonably practicable,

(b) in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are
easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length
specified in paragraph (4).
(4) Except as provided in paragraph (3) that plate must be lit in the manner required by
paragraph (5).
(5) This paragraph requires the plate to be lit so that it is easily distinguishable from every
part of a relevant area having a diagonal length-
(a) in the case of a plate displaying a mark having characters with a width of 44
millimetres, of 15 metres, and
(b) in any other case, of 18 metres.

Makes dashboard/window mounting illegal as well.

Bikerz, I have a 28 page pdf of the complete regulations.
I can email it to you if you want to have a boring read through it all :lol:
John.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Well done GEM. I dont understand your comment tho :? I said it was illegal to have in window

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Bikerz said:
Well done GEM. I dont understand your comment tho :? I said it was illegal to have in window
I know you did Bikerz.
I just made the comment as a few peeps have the plate on the dash,
in window etc and maybe they weren't aware of the law.
Wasn't setting myself up as the 'Traffic Police' :oops:
it just saves them arguing if they get 'pulled'.
John.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Yeah ok. But Im sure the law was changed recently to that, before I think your were allowed. Same as you used to be allowed L plates on screen out of swept area or on rear screen and yet you arnt now, thats what this copper told hus when stoped lupo

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.