Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking into a bonnet respray from the motorway little specs of stone chips, before it goes up for sale

What would you think this would be cost wise? would a machine polish remove the minor ones??

Many Thanks in advance

Jono

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Machine polishing will not only not remove the chips, it's quite likely to highlight them. There are "blow-over" treatments that do a good job rather than a full respray, but ultimately a respray will solve the problem for you. I wouldn't expect to see much change from £300 for a proper bonnet respray on a TT.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Mine cost ~ £800 - £900 with Audi approved centre. That was bonnet, front wheel arches and lower front bumper. Pesky stone chips. Looks like new now though (except one or two I have picked up since) [smiley=bigcry.gif]

Worth it imo

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I was quoted £1200 by my local dealer.

Audi approved can do it for around £350 if not even less, depending on how many chips etc.

·
Registered
31,066 Posts
My tip - take it to a VW bodyshop, keeps the body warranty and you'll get it for £300ish is my guess.
Depends on colour and if you blend into the wings

·
Registered
188 Posts
Got a quote for £550 for mine. With it being siver I decided to leave it as no-one could guarantee that a perfect colour match.

If you get it done I would recomend having a clear PTFE coat put over the top which is cheaper to replace than a respray every two years or so. I've seen car bra's advertised but they just seem so wrong on so many levels - there's only one thing suppose to go in bras and that aint cars - do you think they do wonder bras for cars to make the front seem bigger or maybe a push-up version to give the bonnet a cleavage lol

IMAGE$6D8C938EEA3698BD.gif

Attachments

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
This was going to be my next post, glad someone beat me to it.
Mine's pretty bad with a few real deep stone chips on the bonnet. Reckon they would need a repair and then a respray.
Seems most here have gone for an Audi dealer bodyshop.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
As the OP is selling the car, all he needs is a decent bodyshop and 250 to 300 for the panel is the rate. He is not going to be worried by body warranties or the like.

Very few punters can even tell if a panel has been resprayed even when it screams out it has!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Toshiba said:
My tip - take it to a VW bodyshop, keeps the body warranty and you'll get it for £300ish is my guess.
Depends on colour and if you blend into the wings
VW bodyshop I meant rather than audi approved. My price included retention of warranty, etc. Cant tell its been done - fantastic spray job - just wish they hadnt sent it to be polished afterwards as the idiot put more light scratches into the paintwork! Polished out - but was not a happy chappy - even had light scratches in the re-sprayed panels! :twisted:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many thanks for all the replies. good to know about the machine polish. Did do a search on all these wonder touch up pens etc... its like watching Dynamo with his illusions! hahaha!

Yes the cars getting sold, but i like to do things right and dont want to give the next person who buys it any issues with any substandard work as i would hate it to happen to myself.

Got a local body shop that has done a few bits for my friends company cars so potentially get a bit of discount there and hes seen the work there which is good to know, apparently im looking at around £250 mark, over the phone quote without seeing it. Gonna just nip to audi to see what they say. (plus they have a few month old red RS just come in, if it was there a few weeks ago id have probably had it, hmmm not to late to change!)

its going to be a shame to see it go after its back to it gleaming best.

Thanks

Jono

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
guilbert301 said:
Yes the cars getting sold, but i like to do things right and dont want to give the next person who buys it any issues with any substandard work as i would hate it to happen to myself.
thats a great attitude, wouldn't it be nice if more people were like this.....

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Dayer2910 said:
guilbert301 said:
thats a great attitude, wouldn't it be nice if more people were like this.....
Actually, I'd sell the car as is, unless it's really bad. A fresh respray may look good, but at the same time it may raise questions too. You can always work out a deal with the buyer regarding a respray. Just get an offer on paper and take it from there. I'm sure you can close a deal much faster when you just offer to cover the cost of a respray.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update,

Ended Up going to Audi for their advice, they are doing the full car prep inside and out. So basically looks like it would if they were selling it of their forecourt.
So hopefully they will do a reasonable job as i know most customers wouldnt expect or buy an 20K Audi on the forecourt with any marks.

We shall see.
They've done me a deal at £200.00 so didnt think it was too bad.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
guilbert301 said:
So hopefully they will do a reasonable job as i know most customers wouldnt expect or buy an 20K Audi on the forecourt with any marks.
You obviously havent been to the Dealerships up in the North East....

JCT600 VW York are great for stuff like that. They are part of the JCT600 Audi dealership in York and prep all their cars. If you took your car to them, they would have used VW's workshop (as do York Skoda). I've used them several times. great bunch of guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts