Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new VERY proud owner of a 2001 225 quattro TTC in black (the best colour! :p ) Remapped with piperX panel filter and miltek catback plus a few other things.

and so the maintenence begins...

I'm pretty sure i have a boost leak, it sqeals like a pig when accelerating, but just before reaching full boost it stops.

Question is what pipes are most prone to faliure?
and
What pipes are needed?

Im pushing the boat out and im going to replace most if not all of the air intake with silicone but i want to make sure i cover the main culprits to hit 2 birds with one stone!

From what i have gathered i will need the following for a full conversion:

• A Silicone Induction Hose for the VAG 210 / 225hp engines @ £120.17 ea.
  • Lower Intercooler Silicone Hoses for 210 / 225 1.8T engines @ £77.18 ea.
  • 210/225 1.8T Upper Silicone Boost Hoses @ £109.15 ea.

All from forge as they are about 15 mins drive from me :)

Any advice (also on fitting as i will be attempting it) and confirmations will be much appreciated!

Cheers!

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
Greetings, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm no expert, but I've had the three main upper (and visible with the bonnet open) hoses changed, but not the lower ones you also talk about. So Turbo Intake Pipe (TIP), the one that goes into the inlet manifold on the right,and the one that comes out of the charge pipe on the left.

Brake vacuum hose, a little £15-ish hose, is a good one, as it apparently goes fairly often and is easy-ish to do yourself. The breather hoses (set of 3, under the inlet manifold) are sometimes necessary, but a fecker to get to - which is why I had someone else do it for me. :) The other one I've heard can go is the ochre-only hose that sits between the charge pipe and the turbo, at the back of the engine. I'm having that changed in a fortnight while other work is being done.

That's probably about it. An easy £200 just on hoses. Let the mod bug bite hard!

Mondo

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for that mate, ive been hunting for this boost leak but cant find the damn thing! ive been feeling around the pipes for cracks splits before taking serious action of replacing the lot...

i took a look at those breather hoses you mentioned and low and behold the breather hoses under the inlet mani are split! looks like a bit of fun getting to those! :?

That ochre-only hose, its on the right hand side of the charge pipe and drops down over the back of the engine over the turbo yeah? if so its all wrapped up but looks like its red and so replaced already! may have to check the fitment as this could be the issue!

Thanks again... even though you gave me about another 4 or 5 hours work lol :p

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
Hate to break it to ya but the short red ochre-only hose between the charge pipe and the turbo only comes in red/ochre. It might be the original - if you can't see Forge written in white on it it probably isn't. :) Wak's got a good write-up on it. Let me find the link...

Found it: http://www.wak-tt.com/mods/warranty/9st ... bopipe.htm

And yeah, the breather hoses are a fecker to get to. Don't know if I needed it, but the large dealer-supplied hose/pipe combo they all plug into did have a 1cm split in it, so it had to be done at some stage.

Good luck. If you still can't crack the leak, a visit to Wak might be in order. He's got a magic boost pressure gadget thingey he can use to find a leak. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awesome thanks for that link... explained it perfectly! Just whipped the strut brace off and checked that charge pipe > turbo hose and it's wrapped, it's clean and it's dry suggesting no leak!

Those breather hoses you mentioned under the mani, they carry pressure dont they? looks like i have atleast 2 splits, one either side of what looks like a non return valve or something like that... then feeds up to the brake servo, so thats probably the leak? i have checked either by feel or visual inspection and the rest seem fine!

Also found some leaky injectors while i was trying to get my face between the mani branches! Good excuse to get them checked! :)

off out to put everything back on the car!

·
Registered
28,018 Posts
BlackBlur said:
I'm pretty sure i have a boost leak, it sqeals like a pig when accelerating, but just before reaching full boost it stops.
Lets hope that is a boost leak because a description like that makes me think of oil starved turbo!

If you mean it stops at around 3000 revs then it may be normal increased air noise you get with a remaped 225 :?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wak said:
BlackBlur said:
Lets hope that is a boost leak because a description like that makes me think of oil starved turbo!

If you mean it stops at around 3000 revs then it may be normal increased air noise you get with a remaped 225 :?
My heart sank when i read that so i just got straight up and went out and warmed the car up for a quick test run up the dual carrageway! :)

anyways... the noise lessens at about 3.5k rpm and still audible at 4k... i have a boost gauge in the vent but its never been wired up but i just noticed with the interior light on i can see the needle through the smoked glass. The boost fires up to 1.5 bar pretty rapidly then after about 0.5 secs drops straight back down to 1.3 or there abouts.

This to me says its a boost leak as the air is noisey untill it hits around 1.5 bar then just fires out so fast you cant really hear it? Its hard trying to watch the road, a boost gauge, other muppets on the road and listen to the boost so its not totally accurate.

Anyways hope you can make sense of that!

·
Registered
197 Posts
any news on this, as it sounds very similar to whats happening to my car.

Pcv pipes all changed, upper intercooler pipes changed and a new N75, 4 new coil packs and 4 plugs and theres still a whine on my turbo that gets slightly better when warm and at higher revs.

Vag com says the MAF is good to.

Any ideas, as it seems to be "letting off" boost too early still .

:(

Liquid TT and vag com show no codes, and 227 bhp on regular juice (only stuff the garage had :? )

ARGGGGHHHHHHHHHH !!!!

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Hey. Im in Cheltenham. Have to send mea PM and meet up sometime. I have ALL the forge hoses so you can have a look at all the ones I have if you like. My mate works for forge!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nice one Bikerz, the only ones i havent changed are the Turbo (ochre) hose and the lower intercooler hoses.

A mate has said to check the lower hoses for loose clips :? i'll give that a go tonight :(

I have to find that leak!!!!!

I WILL FIND THAT LEAK !!!!

:lol: :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.