Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having experienced relatively top end hi-fi speakers (and speaker cable for that matter!) that required anything up to 50 hrs of "running in" before they started to perform in terms of soundstage and bass response.
Does anybody think that the Bass response of the Bose speakers will get any better with time?

G

·
North, yesterday I went to my dealer to check BOSE out on 2 TTC's.
One had BOSE and one had the standard stereo, both running through the normal head unit (ie. no sat nav on either).

The sales guy actually said that BOSE would not be as good in the TT as my A4 cab because of the physical size of the car, with all the sound crashing together! :eek:

The TT with the standard speakers seemed loader but not as clear at the higher volume end. The TT with BOSE sounded good, not as good as my A4 cab, but didn't distort.

I am pleased I didn't spend the money adding it to my spec TBH, but I am not saying it was not worth it, the reason I didnt get it was because it wasn't as good as what I am used to in the A4.

Not sure how the speakers could get better in time? :?

Anyway, I need to save my pennies for my new fancy diffuser and Milltek system going on! :p

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Redcar_TT said:

:p
Well, I had some £50/m speaker cable which needed about 100 hrs before any soundstage or decent bass response was evident.
I had exactly the same with a pair of Acoustic Energy AE2 speakers. Again about 100 hrs was required before they sounded anything like they should - the difference was immense, so much so that after 50 hrs I was nearly taking them back because they were that bad. After approx 100 hrs they were probably the best pair of bins I have ever owned.

Sounds nonsense I know, but if had'nt experienced it for myself I would say I'm talking b*llocks.
Mind you, most people think I do anyway :?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Nah you are not talking bolux at all.

All speakers need to be "run in" But this alone would not make up for the poor (IMO) Bose system in the Mk2 TT.

·
Administrator
33,050 Posts
north_wales_tt said:
Redcar_TT said:

:p
Well, I had some £50/m speaker cable which needed about 100 hrs before any soundstage or decent bass response was evident.
I had exactly the same with a pair of Acoustic Energy AE2 speakers. Again about 100 hrs was required before they sounded anything like they should - the difference was immense, so much so that after 50 hrs I was nearly taking them back because they were that bad. After approx 100 hrs they were probably the best pair of bins I have ever owned.

Sounds nonsense I know, but if had'nt experienced it for myself I would say I'm talking b*llocks.
Mind you, most people think I do anyway :?
Perhaps your connections were loose on the cable? Cable itself is a very stable medium as long as it's not overrated so it gets hot with the current flow - which I presume wouldn't have been the case as you will have been using thick cable for speakers.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've easily broken 50 hours. NO noticeable improvement whatsoever since new.

I wouldn't classify Bose in a Car as high end hi-fi though which at the end of the day is where such running-in periods are applicable. Anyone who suggests otherwise is quite literally taking the piss.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I think there's some fair points here. We're not all fans of the BOSE option, personally I like it and I didn't listen to it before I ordered it.

Surely the interior dynamics of the TT will make some difference to the sound the speakers reproduce, but again, I had a standard Audi Concert system in my previous A3 and the TT (BOSE) sound quality is better.

I've also got some decent hi-fi gear in the house too (Arcam + B&W speakers) which is pretty good, I believe they do need 'running in' also.

TBH, hardly ever use the BOSE in the car - girlfriend hates my choice of music. Will be going for a spin on my own this weekend (she's working),

BOSE at gas mark 11!!

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John-H said:
Perhaps your connections were loose on the cable? Cable itself is a very stable medium as long as it's not overrated so it gets hot with the current flow - which I presume wouldn't have been the case as you will have been using thick cable for speakers.
Not all speaker cable is thick yunno :wink:
And no, the connections were not loose.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BobFat said:

I wouldn't classify Bose in a Car as high end hi-fi though which at the end of the day is where such running-in periods are applicable. Anyone who suggests otherwise is quite literally taking the piss.
I am suggesting otherwise and no, I am not taking the piss. :eek:
The speakers do not need to be high end to require "running in".
That said, if you have surpassed 50 hrs without improvement then maybe there is not much of an improvement to be had :cry:

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
north_wales_tt said:
BobFat said:

I am suggesting otherwise and no, I am not taking the piss. :eek:
The speakers do not need to be high end to require "running in".
That said, if you have surpassed 50 hrs without improvement then maybe there is not much of an improvement to be had :cry:
Yep - that's about it then.

Neil - AFAIK all speakers take time to run in. Not taking the piss mate :?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Not saying you are taking the piss, was saying if anyone suggests running in for such a period is required and will make a difference is taking the piss ;-)

·
Administrator
33,050 Posts
G

·
north_wales_tt said:
Well that little debate went well I thought :p
All I need now is Bell*nd from across the water and I will round the evening off nicely [smiley=rifle.gif]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Humm, not the usual pissy pissing contest here... but plenty of time for that yet I'm afraid :?

As for the running in..? Can't say I sit in either camp on that - can appreciate both sides. I do very much doubt that time will improve the TT BOSE radically though

Have to say that I don't regret getting it for a moment, but next time around the £475 will be put towards other sound gear

G

·
Janitor said:
Humm, not the usual pissy pissing contest here... but plenty of time for that yet I'm afraid :?

As for the running in..? Can't say I sit in either camp on that - can appreciate both sides. I do very much doubt that time will improve the TT BOSE radically though

Have to say that I don't regret getting it for a moment, but next time around the £475 will be put towards a Milltek exhaust system.
......... I agree Janitor. :wink:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.