Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I recently purschase an Audi TT Quattro and I absolutly love the driving experience.

The car has 55.000 km and was always serviced at the authorised mechanics.

When purchasing I wanted to get a second opinion by other mechanics. They couldnt find anything faulty but they mentioned me about things that I should be changed/fixed for precaution.

1) They informed me that the Timing Chain should be immediately changed (even though the car 55k km)

Also that there are common problems with this particular engine and we would need to change the Pistons because this engine is using Japanese problematic pistons and they tend to blow up (basically do a full renovation of the engine)

Does any of the above make any sense for a car that has full service history at the authorised
mechanics?

Audi says that this is the first time they are hearing this.

Any advice as I dont want to open up the engine!

Thank you!
Steven

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
replacing timing chain after just 55.000 km sounds very strange (usually it lasts much more, in some case for the entire life of the engine), to not say about the "Japanese pistons" story...
the EA 888 engine series is traditionally known as very reliable (apart minor things like thermostat etc), then if the car has been properly serviced and doesn't show any evident malfunction or abnormal noise/behavior and DTC neither, why on the earth they are suggesting you to almost rebuild the engine???

·
Registered
125 Posts
The main issue to keep an eye on is the coolant level, if you're losing coolant, it could point to an issue with the water pump/thermostat as they are a known issue on the 2.0 engine. There aren't really any other major known issues to worry about - I'd personally be questioning the ability/trustworthyness of the mechanic you spoke to, as both changing a timing chain at that mileage and the "japanese pistons" info he's given you is doubtful to say the least.

Reactions: Joba87

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey,

That info doesnt sound legit. I just bought a 2015 with 52k but have 3 mth dealer warranty so will push it hard. These cars are german quality so made to last, and are just amazing to drive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for your replies

I have visited other 2 specialized mechanics and got pretty much the same answers.
Also visited Revo and got same answer regarding the pistons.

Regarding the Time Chain one mechanic said that since my car is a 2016 model and its already 5 years old it would be wise to change it.

Regarding the piston, they told me that there should be no issue. They haven't heard anything..

However after doing extensive research on the net regarding this engine I found an interestinf video. Does this apply for the engine on the MK3 2.0 engine?

Also found this site

Its claiming that the stock pistons of the new EA888 MQB gen.3 engines often got broken ring lands, even on stock cars and they are selling better ones. It says that this applies to MK3 models also.

This confused me abit, anyone have any clue?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
The timing chain shouldn’t need changing at all but if it did it shouldn’t be until at least 100k Miles.

Sounds like they think it’s got a belt.

As for the pistons, I’ve never heard it before on here

·
Registered
137 Posts
That doesn't make any sense to me at all. Why would REVO mention pistons when they offer various tunes?

I've done a huge amount of research on these cars and I've never heard of any piston or timing chain issues. The only issues I've come across is due to people using cheap laptop / mobile remaps.

Enjoy the car and don't worry about the above.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That doesn't make any sense to me at all. Why would REVO mention pistons when they offer various tunes?

I've done a huge amount of research on these cars and I've never heard of any piston or timing chain issues. The only issues I've come across is due to people using cheap laptop / mobile remaps.

Enjoy the car and don't worry about the above.
I did Revo Stage 1 few days ago and I ask the mechanic there, my concern with the pistons. He said the same, that the pistons dont have any problems.

Okay thank you guys
I now feel more confident about the car with the answers you provided

1 - 8 of 8 Posts