Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just got a nine year old Mk2.... the brake discs are scored so I'll be replacing, along with full caliper re-build.
I was thinking of Brembo plain discs with Brembo pads....

What ones would you people recommend?

There's a complete kit on E Bay for £250 at the moment.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Hedgehog

·
Registered
722 Posts
MTEC are great discs if you like the grooved/drilled look, have used them and Mintex pads across 3 different cars in the last 10yrs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that. I've never had grooved or drilled discs.... when fitted can you hear / feel any vibration or are they just like regular discs in use??

Thanks again.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Thanks for that. I've never had grooved or drilled discs.... when fitted can you hear / feel any vibration or are they just like regular discs in use??

Thanks again.
Slight helicopter rotor noise when braking from speed, no vibes though.

·
Registered
3.2 V6
4,927 Posts
I have mtec drilled. Can't say I've noticed a noise, but the bell and edges certainly rust, unfortunately. Also the drilled holes clog up, but I assume this is an issue with all brands of drilled disks

·
Premium Member
TTS 2010
58 Posts
OK so here's how it goes:
  • you'll find 3 opinions out of every 2 people you ask about brakes/pads/discs on a TT
  • you want factory coated discs
  • if all you need is street/fast road use, go with proper dedicated street/fast road pads (cannot recommend any as it's not my use case)
  • likewise, you may want plain disc, maybe slotted for slightly improved wet day performance (allegedly)
    • there is virtually no need for drilled discs, they will rust ugly and eat your pads, also weaken the discs, no point really
    • modern pads do not have gas issues that was the primary reason for drilled discs
  • good pad choice and proper bedding are crucial
  • proper track/race brakes setup for a TT if a different story altogether..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi

Just got a nine year old Mk2.... the brake discs are scored so I'll be replacing, along with full caliper re-build.
I was thinking of Brembo plain discs with Brembo pads....

What ones would you people recommend?

There's a complete kit on E Bay for £250 at the moment.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Hedgehog
If you want a pair of low miles (16k) 2010 GENUINE AUDI OEM front discs then I've these on eBay:
eBay item number: 144232376097
PAIR OF GENUINE AUDI TT 312mm OD BRAKE DISCS 1K0615301AA: LOW MILES + ANTI-RUST
These were used with Ferodo Eco-Friction Green brake pads FDB1641 @ 25.43 that I rate highly
Collect for FREE or make me a daft offer to cover my post and packing time

Genuine reason for change: I fitted a set of TT rotors and decided to fit MTEC drilled rotors front and rear again with Ferodo Eco-Friction Green brake pads, like so:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Vehicle

I am a fan of MTEC drilled rotors and find their protective coating superb having used them on the rear of my RS3 for 7-years with silver coating (RS3 OEM fronts drilled) and my SQ5 front and rear with black coating (see photo) for 2-years.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Car

I use Ferodo Eco-Friction Green brake pads on 'each' and I find 'em absolutely first class for road work with low dust and excellent cold-bite and very disc-friendly (done with the OEM and EBC, etc)

Gotta speak as I find 'em, and:

"Already fitted as Original Equipment on Mercedes-Benz C-Class since March 2014 and Audi A4 since September 2015"

See Ferodo Eco-Friction Green brake pads:
https://www.ferodo.co.uk/products/light-vehicles/eco-friction-brake-pads.html

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I fitted brembo UV coated discs with brembo brake pads. Bedded them in yesterday and I am very very impressed. Hardly any dust at all, silky smooth and totally quiet. I used a different product instead of the usual copper grease for the discs, pads and pins called Proslip.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If just going with standard "blank" rotors, I would go with Zimmerman or OE over Brembo, TBH. Apart from their high-end/performance stuff, Brembo isn't really anything special these days.

As for the calipers, I dunno about Ireland but over in NA, 85%+ of people would just go with reman calipers instead. After core return the price is usually not far from or even cheaper than what you'd pay anyone to rebuild the existing caliper(s). If DIYing, it might be cost effective to rebuild but it's a bit of a PITA, TBH. Also add in the fact that you can often get lifetime warranty on remans, and it's icing on top of simplicity.

Another thing you might consider is upgrading to S calipers and rotors if you don't have an S. Brakes are much better and since you'd be replacing all that stuff anyway and it's a pretty simple swap...just an idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts