Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving the her day the dreaded red "Brake system fault" symbol appeared on the DIS, looks like this ----> (!). It lit up briefly chimed and then went away, this happened a few times throughout my journey.

Initially I was not worried as I thought it was because my rear pads and discs needed changing - not a problem as I had all the parts to change the rear pads and discs, but I had been dragging my feet about doing it.

After the change all was good for about a day (the rear pads were not as low as I had expected though), then he light came back, I thought maybe it just needed a little more brake fluid, as I had removed some when changing the front discs and pads a month or two ago and maybe the system had just settled :lol:

Added some brake fluid and again all was fine for a day or two, then the light came back, so I thought I might have a leak. I parked the car and left it overnight. The following day I checked the brake fluid level (it had dropped a little) and here was a small pool of fluid under the car.

So I now believe I have a leak, however, I have no idea where it could be from, I plan to have a look under the car tomorrow (not driving it at the moment) but as brakes are a crucial safety item on the car, should I just take it to the garage? I would like to go to 4Rings but if it's likely to be a lengthy big repair I'll have no way of getting back home should I need to leave it overnight.

I had go with the search function, however all the results seemed to be linked to clutch issues (my clutch has operated normally throughout).

I know it is hard to diagnose without photos/ more detailed info, however, do you have any suggestions around possible causes, common places for leaks, or specific parts to check? I am thinking it could be the brake master cylinder??

BTW I have a 2002, 180 Quattro coupe

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,351 Posts
Hi adajason, Where abouts is the leak, near one of the wheels, bulkhead area drivers side,etc ?
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Hoggy,

I thought I did sorry. the leak is coming from the engine bay; I'm not sure where exactly because I have an under tray, but the drip is from the middle of the under tray towards the front.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The clutch shares the fluid you need to check the pipe leading to the clutch slave cylinder as it may have perished
If the leak was on the high pressure side you would notice on the pedal's just a thought :wink:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
adajason said:
Any chance you have a more detailed description, EKTA diagram, or photograph of that?
here is the page from the bentley manual item 2 would be my prime suspect :wink:

as its a low pressure rubber hose that could perish in theory !
to get at it wait till your engine is cold and remove the engine cover and charge pipe
to get at it better =) top left of the engine bay leading from the brake & clutch resevoir

its about dead centre in this photo starts here and runs to the clutch master cylinder

if its split it will be wet showing a leak mine is dry and has no leaks thankfully :)
this is just one possibility like you said its not worth taking chances
with your brakes just look all around
that general area for any leaks hope this helps

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nick 225TT said:
here is the page from the bentley manual item 2 would be my prime suspect :wink:
Hi Nick, thanks for the above - very helpful. However, I took it to the garage yesterday, and it looks like its the brake fluid is leaking into the clutch master cylinder, result = £900+ VAT for master cylinder, clutch, and dual mass fly wheel [smiley=bigcry.gif] lots of [smiley=bigcry.gif]

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
adajason said:
Nick 225TT said:
Hi Nick, thanks for the above - very helpful. However, I took it to the garage yesterday, and it looks like its the brake fluid is leaking into the clutch master cylinder, result = £900+ VAT for master cylinder, clutch, and dual mass fly wheel [smiley=bigcry.gif] lots of [smiley=bigcry.gif]
I think you mean it's the slave cylinder leaking into the bellhousing.

You might not necessarily need to replace everything in your list. If the clutch and DMF are in good condition you could just replace the slave cylinder. Although there will be a few people saying that you should replace the clutch whilst you've got the gearbox off. Some also say replace the DMF as a matter of course but it's not strictly necessary if it is in good condition.

£900 + VAT seems high to me. You could try WAK, I think he's in Staines.

4 Rings get lots of good mentions on the forum.
4 Rings Ltd
Unit A3,
Bybow Farm,
Orchard Way,
Wilmington,
Dartford,
Kent,
DA2 7ER.
[email protected]

Free Phone: 0800 3579077
Office Phone: 01322 274298
Dean Hill: 07906 581394

HTH

Mark

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi No Mark,

I got a quote for the same from 4Rings and it was looking like about the same price. Considering the mileage of the car I think its better to err on the side of caution, and get it all done together.

I didn't know that WAK did clutches? I thought it was more remaps, servicing and other less heavy mechanical jobs.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
adajason said:
Hi No Mark,

I got a quote for the same from 4Rings and it was looking like about the same price. Considering the mileage of the car I think its better to err on the side of caution, and get it all done together.

I didn't know that WAK did clutches? I thought it was more remaps, servicing and other less heavy mechanical jobs.
Yeah I think you may be correct with regards to WAK, I noticed he has a link to 4 Rings on his site, which would suggest he doesn't do that type of work. Sorry for misleading you, it's just that WAK is very highly regarded on here and I thought he did almost everything to do with TT repairs :oops:

I'm sure the guys at 4 Rings will advise you properly on what is required. I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mark.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts