Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a mk1 225 and had the wheels refurbed. I had the bright idea that if I followed some you tube videos I could change the discs and pads all round whilst the wheels were being done. I followed BWS TT and Car Chris videos and thought I'd done a perfect job. I've just put my wheels on and now have no braking at all and my handbrake is coming up ridiculously high. I put the engine on and pumped the brakes but still nothing. Please help me anyone.

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
For the handbrake you'll need to reset the rear calipers again.
With the handbrake OFF, fully rewind both pistons, then refit and seat the pads using the foot brake.

Did you clean the discs with brake cleaner to remove grease & oil?

Did you disconnect any of the brake pipes?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I've now fixed the issue. I was being a total twonk. It was so embarrassingly obvious that I'm not even going to say what I was doing wrong 🤣🤣🤣

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
96,889 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I've now fixed the issue. I was being a total twonk. It was so embarrassingly obvious that I'm not even going to say what I was doing wrong 🤣🤣🤣
Go on, do tell.:eek:
Hoggy.:)

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
Sometimes the most obvious things are difficult to notice.

What was it?
It may help the next person that does the same thing.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Oh...... you mixed up the clutch and brake pedals....

It would be useful to others, maybe you didn't bleed the brakes properly, or left a bleed nopple off / loose? Reservoir not bled
.. etc

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Come now, we won't tell, never mind the world will know. ;)

But seriously, as others have said, it may help someone else. We've all had our brilliant moments. Sharing the pain can be cathartic!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh...... you mixed up the clutch and brake pedals....

It would be useful to others, maybe you didn't bleed the brakes properly, or left a bleed nopple off / loose? Reservoir not bled
.. etc
You guessed how dumb I was being!! Yes I was pumping the clutch pedal. Doh! My first ever bit of mechanics and I did all the brake change by myself and then failed at the last hurdle after having driven manual vehicles for the past 11 years I somehow managed to mix up the pedals 🤣🤣🤣 take away my license now 🤣

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
96,889 Posts
Hi, We won't tell anyone, it'll be a secret.:giggle:
Hoggy. :)

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
Did the handbrake sort itself out after you pressed the foot brake?
If it is still too high you'll need to wind them back it to reset the adjusters then seat with the foot brake (the middle pedal... ) before trying the handbrake again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did the handbrake sort itself out after you pressed the foot brake?
If it is still too high you'll need to wind them back it to reset the adjusters then seat with the foot brake (the middle pedal... ) before trying the handbrake again.
Yeah it sorted itself out thankfully. Hopefully I wont need to do this again for quite some time. 😁

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
Yeah it sorted itself out thankfully. Hopefully I wont need to do this again for quite some time. 😁
Good.
See how it goes when the pads wear down a bit.
If you run out of handbrake when the pads start to wear, you'll need to do that rewinding of the pistons to reset the adjusters then.

In the meantime, always remember to park in gear. Too many have had them roll away when the discs cool...!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
See, doesn't that feel better now? ;)

We've all had our moments. Mum's the word! :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good.
See how it goes when the pads wear down a bit.
If you run out of handbrake when the pads start to wear, you'll need to do that rewinding of the pistons to reset the adjusters then.

In the meantime, always remember to park in gear. Too many have had them roll away when the discs cool...!
Oh ok cool. That's a good tip!

·
Registered
2003 Avus 3.2 Coupe
551 Posts
This really does happen too.
A few years back we were sitting in a pub having a birthday meal for someone, and I saw this A2 exactly the same as mine come rolling past the window, across the road, and gently come to rest next to a fence on the other side of the road about 30 M down the street. Yep, you've guessed it.
Fortunately, it was completely unscathed, but it could have been a whole lot worse.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts