Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically driving along on dual carriageway red battery symbol starts to flicker then goes off. Few minutes later starts again (car running fine). Red symbol goes out and gets replaced by yellow battery symbol on main display. Follow lack of power and and sigh of relief that a layby was 30m ahead. Ignition now off and dead to restart also Driver display went blank and died efforts turning off.

Am I right in thinking alternator and if so is it a DiY job?

Any chance battery is just shagged? It's run dead a few times in the past?

Trust it to be about 200DegC!

Cheers!

·
Registered
719 Posts
voltage regulator on the alternator, it's a DIY job and quite common, i did mine about 2 months ago following a few different guides off here. Just do a search for voltage regulator. it's only about £35 from audi iirc

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,337 Posts
Hi, Check connections at battery & fuse connections on top of battery, suprised she died so quickly after battery light came on.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Battery connections in boot ok but not got any tools to check other bits. Battery is definitely getting power to systems as dash lights are trying to come on when turning key but they then start to flash and dim, whatever the issue is she won't be starting with the battery that's in her now.

Many thanks

Justin

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,337 Posts
Hi Justin, Battery definately flat then. Hopefully just the voltage reg.When you can get her started, jump battery or what ever if volts not 13.5/14.5 then looks like volt reg.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Hoggy, much appreciated. If I get towed back with front off the ground it's just a matter of into Neutral I guess then keep the speed down? If they have a spare battery should there be juice enough for 2.5 miles if they can loop them together or put in place of mine?
Our road is a bit narrow and drive on a slope getting it back on the drive could prove fun!

·
Administrator
95,337 Posts
Hi Justin, yes if front lifted 30mph max & 30 miles max. Fully charged battery should get you on to drive, check volts once engine running.

·
Administrator
95,337 Posts
Hi Gazzer, Yes could be, just stating the most common, battery connections, fuses & connections above battery or where battery is on 225 & then voltage reg. Just suprised she died so quickly after battery light came on, so perhaps battery knackered as well as V Reg.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Check the alternator connection. Mine came loose and my battery was basically not getting charged. Same symptoms, checked 20c on console and voltage was fluctuating between 8 & 9v one socket session and it was back up to 13.5v. Hope it's that simple for you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers for your help everyone, the recovery guy hooked up a battery tester and jump started me. His device showed no charging from the alternator and after idling for 3 mins it died.

He hooked up a spare battery and that got me the 1.6 miles home and into my garage to swap batteries out again.

I think the battery is probably knackered too; due to my job it had been left stationary for periods of 4-5 weeks and often needed a jump when I got back. Previous to today it had been parked up for a week and I couldn't' help put it in Sort made for a few short spells on a shortish trip I guess with the battery under load and the regulator not working right that I just didn't get much warning.

Anyhow shall get the part ordered tomorrow and start looking at the Bently guide.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
j_ritchie said:
Cheers for your help everyone, the recovery guy hooked up a battery tester and jump started me. His device showed no charging from the alternator and after idling for 3 mins it died.

He hooked up a spare battery and that got me the 1.6 miles home and into my garage to swap batteries out again.

I think the battery is probably knackered too; due to my job it had been left stationary for periods of 4-5 weeks and often needed a jump when I got back. Previous to today it had been parked up for a week and I couldn't' help put it in Sort made for a few short spells on a shortish trip I guess with the battery under load and the regulator not working right that I just didn't get much warning.

Anyhow shall get the part ordered tomorrow and start looking at the Bently guide.

Cheers
Hoggy has several cars and he uses trickle chargers that are left connected for weeks/months on end. PM him for the type or maybe he'll read this and post back.

·
Registered
937 Posts
mauvedipstick15 said:
C Tek charger is what you require plug it in and forget it,keeps battery fully charged.
I have the cheap copy of this from Lidl (or was it Aldi?) that I leave connected to the Porsche during its long periods of inactivity. Cost about £12 against £40+ for the C-Tek and seems to work just fine. I have been using it for the last 5 years.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say many thanks for your help with my breakdown. Being away this week I decided to get it booked in at a garage to get it sorted so taking the recommendation from Neilc took it over to Yelverton.

So got the call today that it's sorted and yep you were all right - voltage regulator.

So cheers everyone and thanks Yelverton.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts