Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My first thread in the 'off topic' section but thought i'd ask you guys for advice.

Basically I've been going to the gym since November 3 times a week.

At the mo I spend approx 1 hour training each session.

I start with a 10-15 min run then straight into the weights room and work my shoulder, chest and arms on the machines but mainly use the free weights.

My main Q is:
What's the best way to lose my fat but get bigger (muscle mass) at the same time.

I've been chatting to one bloke who uses maximuscle promax diet (just ordered 1.2kg tub which should last 10 days). so i'm going to give that a try.

I definitely seem more defined but can't get my abs to clearly show even though I do sit-ups each session.
Any advice on how to speed up the muscle building process (without steroids etc) would be appreciated.

My basic routine i've started using for each exercise is 20 light warm up reps, 10 just manageable, 5 where i struggle on the last then another 10 and then 5 to build the muscle

and keep doing 10 reps of just manageable for maintenance and definition.

Cheers

·
Registered
11,940 Posts
I find if you have nothing to say then don't say anything
as it only makes you out to be a prat

·
Registered
296 Posts
When I was in the Military the PTI's always used to say its no use doing loads of sit ups etc if you have a layer of fat over your ab's.

If I recall you need less than 12% body fat to allow your ab's to show.

It is a fine line between doing enough cardio to burn off fat and not too much that you waste calories you are taking in to build muscle.

I am sure someone who knows what they are talking about will come along soon :)

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
It isnt a good idea to try to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. As stated earlier, you need to increase your calorie (selectively, not by eating loads of cakes!) intake to build muscle, and lower it slightly to lose fat. The two dont really work well together for this reason.

You need under around 10% bodyfat to show decent abs, but, you do need to do sit ups too. Being really thin/low bodyfat doesnt mean great abs. You need to train them like any other muscle to scult, define and grow them.

Your best bet would be to spend a few weeks with gaining muscle as the goal, with lower rep ranges [6 to 8] and around 4 working sets for each exercise, then after a few weeks, change your routine to more of a fat burning routine, with higher reps [12 to 15, and even upto 20] with fast sets, as fast twitch muscle fibres burn more calories, so doing fast, explosive reps burns more calories :wink:

You should reduce cardio to around 3 x 30min sessions a week if you're trying to gain muscle, otherwise it'll be counterproductive, and you wont gain muscle mass (much). Any CV you do, is best done AFTER weights. A warm up run is fine before weights, but if you're going to do any interval training etc, its best done after a good weights session. This burns more calories, and there is a thing called Spot Reduction to think about. The theory is, if you work Abs with weights for a session, then go for a run, it will free substantially more fat from the surrounding tissue worked, in this example, the Abs. This has got a lot of support recently.

I'm very much into my fitness and an ex-marine. If you want any pointers, drop me a pm and I'll help as best i can. Reps and sets are the big things people get wrong, thinking doing dozens of something doesnt always acheive the results you want.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Now I know why my abs dont show! :) Im 13% body fat! :roll: Oh yea and i dont do gyms! :lol:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wrekTT said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :-*
lol, I'd probably be able to bench press you :lol:

prt225TT: That's brill, Thanks. really helpful stuff unlike the first comment :roll: TWAT lol

Cheers chaps, off down the gym again tomorrow to start my new routine :p

·
Registered
362 Posts
Some good advice here, but alot also depends on the type of sit-ups you do. Try using medicine ball and a gym ball as this is more productive working all muscles in your core in an effort to get a balance while doing the sit-ups. Like was said already losing weight and building muscle don't always compliament each other. Best of luck with your training.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Don't do cardio on the same days as weights espically after as its counterproductive! if poss stick to your 3 days weights and include back and legs in your routine also :wink:
Cardio is most effective in the morning unfueled (empty stomach) if this is not possible then try and do 45mins on the other 2 days low intensity!
Try and stick to a deacent diet as this is also key,
Also with maximuscle your paying quite a bit extra for the brand plently of cheaper alternatives out there that will last you alot longer than 10 days
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DYMATIZE-ELITE-WH ... 0206405483

Im sure JAAYDE will be along soon........ :p

·
Registered
221 Posts
Some sounds advice in this thread, remember, you want to be xxx stone? Eat like a xxx stone man would lol. Fuel yourself properly, work hard in your workouts and get enough rest and grow.

cheapest place Ive found is http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk for whey/oats/creatine/L Glutamine etc. Quick delivery too. The whey is unflavoured and tastes absolutely fine without the artificial flavouring system they sell.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
alibTTman said:
Don't do cardio on the same days as weights espically after as its counterproductive! if poss stick to your 3 days weights and include back and legs in your routine also :wink:
Cardio is most effective in the morning unfueled (empty stomach) if this is not possible then try and do 45mins on the other 2 days low intensity!
Really, read many Muscle and Fitness's in the past few years...?

Actually its been proven that cardio later in the day, after a weights workout burns more calories during the CV, and continues to burn calories for long after you have finished the CV. The purpose of doing the cardio after weights is because the majority of muscle glycogen will have been spent lifting the weights, and the body will have to break down fat for energy during the cardio session. This results in an increased metabolic rate, which will make the body more efficient at breaking down fats and using it for fuel.

If you are trying to build muscle, it is very important to get in fast-digesting protein and carbs in the first few minutes after waking up. While you are sleeping, your body uses liver glycogen for fuel overnight, and when those levels get low, your body then uses muscle protein for fuel. You need to ingest the protein and carbs asap after waking to stop muscle catabolism (your body feeding off your muscles). Ever wondered why breakfast is regarded as the most important meal... well, to anyone serious about gaining muscle, thats why!

The critical times for nutritional intake are:

1: Fast-digesting proteins and carbs first thing in the morning
2: Creatine and protein 30mins pre-workout
3: Creatine, protein and carbs immediately post workout.
4: Slow digesting protein (casein) before bed. (cottage cheese is good)

The notion of doing cardio first thing in the morning may work for a brutal weight loss regime, but it will undue any hard work done on attempting to gain muscle mass, as it will be both muscle and fat being used for energy!!

You seem prepared to pay a lot for supps if you're happy buying a protein that'll last 10 days...

I'd advise you get a better range of products though. Cyclone is very good, it has a lot of extra's in it and I saw good results from it (tastes awful though). You should also think about a slower digesting protein, casein for before bed. If you like low fat cottage cheese, eating 225g before bed will provide 28g slow digesting protein, and may be cheaper than buying extra protein powders...

Eating 3 whole eggs for breakfast (yolk plus white) was proven to roughly double the muscle mass gains of people eating no more than 1 egg per day.

Dont be fooled by manufacturers claims and advertising on products, research products before you buy. Bodybuilding.com has a good forum with many amateur and semi-pro guys on there, with documented write ups of products and routines.

IMO, dont listen to the skinny guy working at the gym, thinking he's the big man wearing the gym vest, if he's built like Olive Oil not Popeye... he's prob not too well informed :wink: Theres a personal trainer at my gym whos' built like a 14yr old boy. IMO, personal trainers should look the part, not just talk the talk. PTI's in the marines are mostly well built, incredibly fit guys... lead by example, not from a magazine [smiley=book2.gif]

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
http://www.fitsense.co.uk/fit_article.php?id=28

:p :p

When is the best time of day to do your aerobic exercise? The answer is any time! The most important thing is that you just do it. Continuous cardiovascular exercise, such as walking, jogging, stairclimbing, or cycling, sustained for at least 30 minutes, will burn body fat no matter when you do it. However, if you want to get the maximum benefits possible from every minute you invest in your workouts, then you should consider getting up early and doing cardio before you eat your first meal - even if you're not a "morning person." Early morning aerobic exercise on an empty stomach has three major advantages over exercising later in the day:

Early in the morning before you eat, your levels of muscle and liver glycogen (stored carbohydrate) are low. If you eat dinner at 7 p.m and you eat breakfast at 7 a.m., that's 12 hours without food. During this 12-hour overnight fast, your levels of glycogen slowly decline to provide glucose for various bodily functions that go on even while you sleep. As a result, you wake up in the morning with depleted glycogen and lower blood sugar - the optimum environment for burning fat instead of carbohydrate. How much more fat you'll burn is uncertain, but some studies have suggested that up to 300% more fat is burned when cardio is done in a fasted, glycogen-depleted state.

So how exactly does this work? It's quite simple, really. Carbohydrate (glycogen) is your body's primary and preferred energy source. When your primary fuel source is in short supply, this forces your body to tap into its secondary or reserve energy source; body fat. If you do cardio immediately after eating a meal, you'll still burn fat, but you'll burn less of it because you'll be burning off the carbohydrates you ate first. You always burn a combination of fat and carbohydrate for fuel, but depending on when you exercise, you can burn a greater proportion of fat relative to carbohydrate. If doing cardio first thing in the morning is not an option for you, then the second best time to do it would be immediately after weight training. Lifting weights is anaerobic (carbohydrate-burning) by nature, and therefore depletes muscle glycogen. That's why a post lifting cardio session has a similar effect as morning cardio on an empty stomach.

The second benefit you'll get from early morning cardio sessions is what I call the "afterburn" effect. When you do a cardio session in the morning, you not only burn fat during the session, but you also continue to burn fat at an accelerated rate after the workout. Why? Because an intense session of cardiovascular exercise can keep your metabolism elevated for hours after the session is over. If you do cardio at night, you will still burn fat during the session, so you definitely benefit from it. However, nighttime cardio fails to take advantage of the "afterburn" effect because your metabolism drops like a ton of bricks as soon as you go to sleep. While you sleep, your metabolic rate is slower than any other time of the day.

Burning more fat isn't the only reason you should do your cardio early. The third benefit of morning workouts is the "rush" and feeling of accomplishment that stays with you all day long after an invigorating workout. Exercise can become a pleasant and enjoyable experience, but the more difficult or challenging it is for you, the more important it is to get it out of the way early. When you put off any task you consider unpleasant, it hangs over you all day long, leaving you with a feeling of guilt, stress and incompleteness (not to mention that you are more likely to "blow off" an evening workout if you are tired from a long day at work or if your pals try to persuade you to join them at the pub for happy hour.)

You might find it hard to wake up early in the morning and get motivated to workout. But think back for a moment to a time in your life when you tackled a difficult task and you finished it. Didn't you feel great afterwards? Completing any task, especially a physically challenging one, gives you a "buzz." When the task is exercise, the buzz is physiological and psychological. Physiologically, exercise releases endorphins in your body. Endorphins are opiate-like hormones hundreds of times more powerful than the strongest morphine. Endorphins create a natural "high" that makes you feel positively euphoric! Endorphins reduce stress, improve your mood, increase circulation and relieve pain. The "high" is partly psychological too. Getting up early and successfully achieving a small goal kick starts your day and gives you feelings of completion, satisfaction and accomplishment. For the rest of the day you feel happy and you feel less stress knowing that the most difficult part of the day is behind you.

So, you say you're not a morning person? Take heart; neither am I. I can sleep in like you wouldn't believe! But I get up anyway because I know the effort is worth the results. When I have a bodybuilding goal that I am clearly focused on, such as reaching 4% or 5% body fat for a competition, I'm on my Stairmaster for 45 minutes every morning at the crack of dawn without fail. Sure it's a challenge at first, but you know what? After a few short weeks, It's no longer a chore and I'm "in the groove" - and you will be too. Just try it. Make a commitment to yourself to do it for just 21 days. Once those 21 days have gone by, you'll already be leaner and you'll be on your way to making morning workouts a habit that's as natural as brushing your teeth or taking a shower. Once you start getting used to feeling that buzz, you'll become "positively addicted" to it. The more you do it, the more you'll want to do it. Before you know it, early morning cardio will your new habit; you'll be leaner, your metabolism will be faster and you'll feel fantastic all day long

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Copied from Dec 2007 Muscle and Fitness, page 24:

To test if time of day had an impact on EPOC (excess postexercise oxygen consumption), University of Wisconsin researchers had 16 highly endurance trained women perform three 30min bouts of cardio on a stationary cycle at 65% of their max heart rate.

The performed one workout each in the early morning (between 5-7am), at midday (between 11am-1pm) and one in the evening (between 5-7pm).

Researchers measured the subjects' metabolic rate for 30mins after each exercise session. They reported that while time of day had no effect on the length of time that subjects' metabolic rate was elevated postworkout, training later did raise their metabolic rate higher after the workout than at any other times of day.

**graphical results in form of graph:

Increase in metabolic rate with evening training compared to morning: over 60% greater.
Increase in metabolic rate with evening training compared to midday: approx 15% greater.

The data from this study indicate that to burn the most calories after cardio, and thus drop the most bodyfat, you're better off doing cardio after 5pm. With research showing that cardio done after weightlifting burns more fat than before weights workouts, or alone, and that interval training boosts postworkout metabolic rate higher than steady-state cardio, you'll see why its best to do interval cardio after weight workouts in the evening.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not saying doing cardio first thing in the morning is wrong or right, but for someone wanting to gain muscle, not just lose weight, I would strongly advise against it, as it will be counterproductive for gaining lean muscle. IMO, I certainly wouldnt, my priority is gaining lean mass, so I want my supps and breakfast to stop catabolism and promote growth. I workout 4/5 days a week, I cycle routines to focus on different targets, size, strength, definition etc... and would say to anyone wanting to gain lean muscle mass, following a good diet and regime, they can expect to lose fat while gaining muscle. You need to choose your priority, muscle or fat loss... as the paths to each goal dont really go hand in hand.

We all start from varied fitness levels and builds, so seeking a tailored workout might be a good idea. Most personal trainers will give you 30mins free, so you could have a chat with one at the gym...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.